18 replies to this topic

#1 Lauren

Lauren

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:45 PM

Of course, my daughter was accepted at Take 2 Talent (I'm sure EVERY kid is!) Just wondering if anyone has any feedback on this place!?!?
The pictures seem VERY expensive.... but I guess it would be worth it if my child got "work!" The money my daughter would make would go into a college fund... and that seems fantastic!!

" You can't make footprints in the sand of time if you're sitting on your butt, and who wants to make buttprints in the sand of time??"

#2 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:51 PM

QUOTE(Lauren @ Mar 14 2008, 12:45 PM) View Post
Of course, my daughter was accepted at Take 2 Talent (I'm sure EVERY kid is!) Just wondering if anyone has any feedback on this place!?!?
The pictures seem VERY expensive.... but I guess it would be worth it if my child got "work!" The money my daughter would make would go into a college fund... and that seems fantastic!!

Did they accept your daughter or your check?
...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#3 Lauren

Lauren

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE(Darthvader @ Mar 14 2008, 01:51 PM) View Post
Did they accept your daughter or your check?

HAHAHA!!!! VERY good point... I have not written them a check... but, they did require money for the pictures!! That's why i'm checking this place out before I hand over money!

" You can't make footprints in the sand of time if you're sitting on your butt, and who wants to make buttprints in the sand of time??"

#4 Jolene

Jolene

Well-versed in how I might be cursed.

• Premium Member
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:16 PM

QUOTE(Lauren @ Mar 14 2008, 01:52 PM) View Post
HAHAHA!!!! VERY good point... I have not written them a check... but, they did require money for the pictures!! That's why i'm checking this place out before I hand over money!

How much money? How many pictures and what comes with it? What are they supposedly doing with these pictures? Did you sign a release? Do you have control over what happens to your child's images?

I remember when I was a kid "Barbizon" was the "Take 2" of that time. Same thing, go to some classes, take some pictures, pay them a lot of money and nothing ever comes of it. According to a friend of mine who did it anyway. My parents were irate that her family gave them our name as a referral, as they had a little more common sense and knew that A) I wasn't exactly child modeling material and B) if I were, it was likely just a scam.

Maybe check with the BBB.
THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING MY GIRL.
We could not be doing this without you.
Much love and gratitude.

#5 Tazzi

Tazzi

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:18 PM

QUOTE(Lauren @ Mar 14 2008, 01:45 PM) View Post

I tried looking them up on this website
http://www.dir.ca.go...selr/talag.html

but couldn't find them under Take 2 or Take 2 Talent. Here's what the Better Business has on them...not much as they aren't a member

http://necal.bbb.org...p;firm=47000590

Good luck, and watch your money closely!
Debra

#6 LexHillsmom

LexHillsmom

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 10:29 PM

I was told that children that are model caliber will get modeling jobs by top agencies by sending in simple photos and measurements. A parent I know whose child models for Gap nationally was told this by a couple of the SF Agencies that represent her child. She never spent any significant amount of $$$ having photo shots taken.

Sounds like a potential scam to me.

#7 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 15 March 2008 - 12:00 AM

You may find this information, from the Federal Trade Commission helpful:

http://www.ftc.gov/b...ices/model.shtm
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#8 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 12:20 AM

Yes, this is essentially a scam. If you expect to launch a modeling/acting/whatever career, this will absolutely not do it. At most, you may get a "mall fashion show" type deal, and get paid in products that you'd never buy on your own.

However, if your child needs an esteem boost, and the cost is affordable to you, it might be fun for your kid.

A "true" talent agency will require pictures, but will never require pictures taken by their favored discounted photographer for only $$$ dollars.

#9 maggiesmom

maggiesmom

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 07:37 AM

Big scam. If you want to get your child into the business, then try contacting Generations in SF--all they require is a picture of your child and measurements. I once heard that if you have to pay big $$$ for picutres/classes/etc... then it is a scam.

#10 folsommom1

folsommom1

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 07:50 PM

Hopefully you will read this before you sign anything...
As the mom of an occasionally working child actress I can tell you that Take 2 is legit, but there are cheaper ways of getting your child into acting. Also there is not alot of work here in Sacramento, so unless you don't mind driving to SF and LA on a moments notice for a 10 minute audition you will find your child will only book a few times a year. I humbly suggest looking at http://www.startips.com/ for more information about getting your child into acting - it isn't as easy as people make it sound.

#11 PhotoMan

PhotoMan

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:03 AM

lmaosmiley.gif
QUOTE(Lauren @ Mar 14 2008, 12:45 PM) View Post

CAREFULL!!! A lot of these places are scams. I have a friend who used to work at a local agency like this (won't mention their name so I don't get hit with slander suit) who told me that that company was a scam. Parents pay for training, photos, etc and may or may not get paid jobs. The way a true modeling agency works is they will take a look at a person and know from the start wheter the prospective model has "got it" or not. By "got it" I mean the looks--whatever the looks are, and just being beautiful doesn't cut it. If the prospect passes the looks test the agency will actually send the model out on shoots and take a percentage from the jobs, giving the model the other percentage. I don't know all the details, but any "agency" asking for money up front is suspect.

#12 Nancy

Nancy

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:11 AM

If you do this, look at it as along the same lines as taking painting classes at the park and rec. Yes, you'll learn some things, but the chances of your work being sold in a gallery are almost nothing.

Real modeling agencies don't want girls who have been through a class. They are taught a group of standard poses rather than to be natural. Once girls learn to do this, if they really do pursue modeling by sending pictures to reputable agencies and get signed, they actually have to work on breaking the habit of doing modeling school poses.

A friend of mine went through one of the big name (can't remember if it was Barbizon or John Robert Powers) modeling classes as a young teen. I think she was 13 or 14. She said one day one of the teachers told them that they couldn't tell their parents what they heard in class that day. They told them that if they wanted to get work in the modeling industry that they had to give the casting agents "what they wanted", and that was really the only way models ever got work. How sick is that?

Nancy

#13 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:35 AM

QUOTE(Nancy @ Mar 17 2008, 12:11 PM) View Post
If you do this, look at it as along the same lines as taking painting classes at the park and rec. Yes, you'll learn some things, but the chances of your work being sold in a gallery are almost nothing.

Real modeling agencies don't want girls who have been through a class. They are taught a group of standard poses rather than to be natural. Once girls learn to do this, if they really do pursue modeling by sending pictures to reputable agencies and get signed, they actually have to work on breaking the habit of doing modeling school poses.

A friend of mine went through one of the big name (can't remember if it was Barbizon or John Robert Powers) modeling classes as a young teen. I think she was 13 or 14. She said one day one of the teachers told them that they couldn't tell their parents what they heard in class that day. They told them that if they wanted to get work in the modeling industry that they had to give the casting agents "what they wanted", and that was really the only way models ever got work. How sick is that?

Nancy

How else are they going to learn about the "casting couch" if somebody doesn't tell them!?! It may well have been the best thing they paid for from that outfit!

...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#14 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:38 AM

oh! Do they have classes for casting agents?
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#15 Nancy

Nancy

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:20 PM

QUOTE(Darth Lefty @ Mar 17 2008, 12:38 PM) View Post
oh! Do they have classes for casting agents?

ROFLMAO!!!

That's just wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users