Folsom Watch Fb Group

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:40 AM

This is a very good group to find out what is happening crime-wise around Folsom. Most recently reported are suspicious drive-bys, solicitors trying to get into homes, mailbox break-ins and other safety issues.

https://www.facebook...63592947173936/

#2 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:58 AM

caligirlz, is that link somewhere besides facebook?

We are not on facebook but I would like to see this.

Thanks.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#3 Howdy

Howdy

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:47 AM

caligirlz, is that link somewhere besides facebook?

We are not on facebook but I would like to see this.

Thanks.

Sorry...Its a Facebook only thing. 

#4 aztransplant

aztransplant

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:50 AM

Sorry...Its a Facebook only thing. 

That stinks. :(

#5 Howdy

Howdy

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:11 AM

That stinks. :(

Create a fake account on there. You don't have to give any of your personal information. use a throw away email address to register. There is lots of information in the different Folsom groups that never make it to this forum. 

#6 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:50 PM

Good idea. Maybe Steve can figure out how to link the group feed to this forum.

Since it is a closed group, I can't copy & paste the postings. However, there were 2 concerning posts today:

1)  someone knocking softly on a door, then trying to open it, then looking for the key under the mat. In Broadstone near the Palladio.

2) Another person knocked on someone's door at 5 am, near Monowood by Folsom Middle School. Others reported similar stories in the same area.

So, if you are interested in these type of reports, then you need to create a FB account & get added to the group.  

#7 aztransplant

aztransplant

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:17 PM

Create a fake account on there. You don't have to give any of your personal information. use a throw away email address to register. There is lots of information in the different Folsom groups that never make it to this forum.

Maybe I'm misreading something here; it seems as though this violates FB's policies:

Facebook's Name Policy

What names are allowed on Facebook?

Facebook is a community where people use their authentic identities. We require people to provide the name they use in real life; that way, you always know who you're connecting with. This helps keep our community safe.

Please refrain from adding any of these to your name:

Symbols, numbers, unusual capitalization, repeating characters or punctuation.

Characters from multiple languages.

Titles of any kind (ex: professional, religious).

Words, phrases or nicknames in place of a middle name.

Offensive or suggestive words of any kind.

Other things to keep in mind:

The name you use should be your authentic identity; as your friends call you in real life and as our acceptable identification forms would show.

Nicknames can be used as a first or middle name if they're a variation of your authentic name (like Bob instead of Robert).
You can also list an additional name on your account (ex: maiden name, nickname, professional name).

Profiles are for individual use only. We offer Pages for professional personas, organizations and businesses.
Pretending to be anything or anyone isn't allowed.

If your authentic name isn’t listed on your account, please change your name. If you're unable to change it, learn more. If you're having trouble signing up for Facebook using your name, contact us.

And Terms Of Service:

Registration and Account Security

Facebook users provide their real names and information, and we need your help to keep it that way. Here are some commitments you make to us relating to registering and maintaining the security of your account:

You will not provide any false personal information on Facebook, or create an account for anyone other than yourself without permission.

#8 Howdy

Howdy

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:29 PM

Don't worry about it. Do you know how many fake accounts are on Facebook? Many. I know people who have a couple accounts for the games that they play on there. The reason Facebook wants all real info on you is because you are the product that Facebook is selling. Selling to advertisers and marketing groups. The more real info they can gather on their users the more they can sell it for. 

#9 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 02:53 PM

Don't worry about it. Do you know how many fake accounts are on Facebook? Many. I know people who have a couple accounts for the games that they play on there. The reason Facebook wants all real info on you is because you are the product that Facebook is selling. Selling to advertisers and marketing groups. The more real info they can gather on their users the more they can sell it for. 

You mean ALL those account for those people making 5k a month working at home are NOT real?!? Kidding here....

#10 Howdy

Howdy

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:11 PM

Remember...those people are also just working in their spare time to make that extra $5k a month. :)

#11 TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:57 PM

What do you people do that makes you so paranoid about Facebook? Maintain yourselves and you won't need fake ID's to be some kind of anonymous weird voyeur peeking in on other peoples conversations. If you are doing things so bad that you have to hide from regular people who you think are "the man" spying on you 24/7 then you might have some other issues you need to address.

Svzr2FS.jpg

#12 Tyto Alba

Tyto Alba

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:43 PM

What do you people do that makes you so paranoid about Facebook? Maintain yourselves and you won't need fake ID's to be some kind of anonymous weird voyeur peeking in on other peoples conversations. If you are doing things so bad that you have to hide from regular people who you think are "the man" spying on you 24/7 then you might have some other issues you need to address.

Don't agree on using the internet for neighborhood crime prevention.      Other people (sometimes family members) can read the conversations  and adjust their M.O. accordingly.    When I first moved to Folsom there was a neighborhood watch group that communicated via internet e-mail.   The participating members included the single Mom with a young adult Son still living with her.   She had a Professional job and worked long hours.  Heavy quick stop traffic in and out of the house at all hours. People of all ages and profiles stopping by.  It got to the point people would park their cars blocks away walk and stop in and immediatly return to their vehicles.     

Talking face to face with neighborhood concerns or going to the Folsom P.D. station and speaking with the Officer on duty is the most effective.

#13 TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:43 AM

Don't agree on using the internet for neighborhood crime prevention.      Other people (sometimes family members) can read the conversations  and adjust their M.O. accordingly.    When I first moved to Folsom there was a neighborhood watch group that communicated via internet e-mail.   The participating members included the single Mom with a young adult Son still living with her.   She had a Professional job and worked long hours.  Heavy quick stop traffic in and out of the house at all hours. People of all ages and profiles stopping by.  It got to the point people would park their cars blocks away walk and stop in and immediatly return to their vehicles.     

Talking face to face with neighborhood concerns or going to the Folsom P.D. station and speaking with the Officer on duty is the most effective.

Sorry, but that still sounds like unnecessary paranoia to me. The FB neighborhood watch group page is private and not open to the public and it works very well to inform neighbors all over the city about issues and things going on in our town that we need to be aware of. I've been in Folsom 15 years and I have never gotten as much neighborhood info in all that time as I've gotten from the FB page in one month of being in the group.

I think the FB group page works much more sufficiently then the once a year neighborhood watch meetings. Communication is key to a successfully safe neighborhood and it's extremely rare for neighbors to actually go to each others houses to talk to each other, that's reality. 

The story you mention about the son, and all the activity at that house, I can tell you straight up that he was definitely selling drugs, probably weed out of his house while mom was out. You and the other neighbors should have called the cops on that activity so they could have checked it out. Did that happen? Did the activity stop after a police visit? Or did it turn out to just be neighbors gossiping about another neighbor and never doing anything about it?

Svzr2FS.jpg

#14 jpow5

jpow5

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:22 AM

Not sure a "fake" account will work for this group. I requested to join it but it appears that they chose to "block me" instead of adding me. I can no longer even bring up the group page to ask about it. I'm guessing they thought my account was "fake" or from a spammer or something. I mainly use it to follow local sports teams, business, etc. so I don't have any "friends" or even a profile pic, so I can see how they might think that. Anyway, I wish they would have sent a message asking to verify things, now I'm just out of luck. Has anyone successfully been added to the group with a "fake" account?

#15 TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:52 AM

Not sure a "fake" account will work for this group. I requested to join it but it appears that they chose to "block me" instead of adding me. I can no longer even bring up the group page to ask about it. I'm guessing they thought my account was "fake" or from a spammer or something. I mainly use it to follow local sports teams, business, etc. so I don't have any "friends" or even a profile pic, so I can see how they might think that. Anyway, I wish they would have sent a message asking to verify things, now I'm just out of luck. Has anyone successfully been added to the group with a "fake" account?

They check to see if the account is legitimate and if the person lives in Folsom. I'm glad the group administrator weeds out the fake voyeur accounts. Don't want criminals or weirdos in there and there's no way to tell with fake accounts so it's best to ban all of the fakers just to be safe.

Svzr2FS.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users