momof1

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:56 PM

How's that saying go?

All dogs go to heaven.

I think it's the owners that sometimes go to hades.

#32 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:30 AM

Good for pharmaceutical lobbyists and Piers Anthony's 'Night Mares'.

Bad for little people walking down a sidewalk minding their own business and getting savagely attacked for no discernible reason.

#33 greytrader

greytrader

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:51 AM

Different dog breeds have different traits. Guard, herding, etc. Ever wonder where the lable "pit bull" came from and why? There may always be exceptions but then there is the rule.

#34 giasmom

giasmom

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:30 PM

I just read on Yahoo opening page that a dog featured on the news as a feelgood story after it was rescued from ice bit the news anchor on the face. The Anchor, I think, was trying to kiss the dog after just meeting it, I cant tell from the pic exactly what kind of dog it is, maybe a pit? I was walking our Aussie on a rough trail near our home, he's very gentle, shy, loves everyone, even cats and chickens and trys to greet other dogs, but I hold him back b/c I dont know the personality of the other dog. Anyway, we came upon a pitbull, I have never seen one upclose, Wow, one big muscle, the owner made the dog sit and wait till we passed, the interesting thing is our dog never made eye contact w/this Pitbull, ours made it a point to look straight ahead and the Pit looked at our dog the way our dog looks at a piece of steak before we give it to him, Im serious, you know that stare. . .

#35 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:43 PM

Both dogs were feeding off your emotions and body language.

Your dog got made because the Pitt sensed your fear.

#36 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:49 PM

I just read on Yahoo opening page that a dog featured on the news as a feelgood story after it was rescued from ice bit the news anchor on the face. The Anchor, I think, was trying to kiss the dog after just meeting it, I cant tell from the pic exactly what kind of dog it is, maybe a pit? I was walking our Aussie on a rough trail near our home, he's very gentle, shy, loves everyone, even cats and chickens and trys to greet other dogs, but I hold him back b/c I dont know the personality of the other dog. Anyway, we came upon a pitbull, I have never seen one upclose, Wow, one big muscle, the owner made the dog sit and wait till we passed, the interesting thing is our dog never made eye contact w/this Pitbull, ours made it a point to look straight ahead and the Pit looked at our dog the way our dog looks at a piece of steak before we give it to him, Im serious, you know that stare. . .

So this pit bull falls thru the ice and gets rescued. The next day the owner starts some world TV tour with him. I imagine he (the dog) was still shaken. The show host was petting him on the head then went under his chin and the dog turned psycho in a millisecond and bit her. I read she has to have some re-constructive surgery on her lip.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/cutline/rescued-dog-bites-nbc-anchor-face-during-feel-141755422.html

#37 Thinkingoutloud

Thinkingoutloud

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:42 PM

So this pit bull falls thru the ice and gets rescued. The next day the owner starts some world TV tour with him. I imagine he (the dog) was still shaken. The show host was petting him on the head then went under his chin and the dog turned psycho in a millisecond and bit her. I read she has to have some re-constructive surgery on her lip.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/cutline/rescued-dog-bites-nbc-anchor-face-during-feel-141755422.html

Not a pit, an Argentine mastiff. And sorry, but I fall into the "no excuses" category for dogbites. My dog would rather lay down on train tracks then bite anyone. No matter how tramautized she is.

You either got it (the need to bite), or you don't.

#38 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:13 PM

Not a pit, an Argentine mastiff. And sorry, but I fall into the "no excuses" category for dogbites. My dog would rather lay down on train tracks then bite anyone. No matter how tramautized she is.

You either got it (the need to bite), or you don't.

Perhaps, but the anchor's behavior wasn't smart(not saying she deserved to get bitten) or safe. You don't put your face near a strange dog's face. You definitely don't when it's been under stress and I can't believe that one couldn't see or imagine that dog was under stress. Just rescued, in a room with strangers and bright, hot lights and she made eye contact and got in his face? Regardless of what breed of dog, it's a dog. You don't treat them like a six-month defenseless baby.

I have a very sweet dog who loves people and children. But I don't think there isn't the possibility that she could use her canine instincts and protect herself. She's a dog.

#39 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:32 PM

Perhaps, but the anchor's behavior wasn't smart(not saying she deserved to get bitten) or safe. You don't put your face near a strange dog's face. You definitely don't when it's been under stress and I can't believe that one couldn't see or imagine that dog was under stress. Just rescued, in a room with strangers and bright, hot lights and she made eye contact and got in his face? Regardless of what breed of dog, it's a dog. You don't treat them like a six-month defenseless baby.

I have a very sweet dog who loves people and children. But I don't think there isn't the possibility that she could use her canine instincts and protect herself. She's a dog.

Especially when you try to eat her!

#40 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:10 PM

Especially when you try to eat her!

Lol! Good one!

#41 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:27 AM

pit bulls seem to get in more trouble than other dogs. maybe there should be a special tax when you get one like when you buy an automitic machine gun. the other thing might be an interview with a mental health professional to see if you are the type of person that brings out the bad traits of the breed.

its old soldiers observation on pit bull bite tv coverage that the owner always seems to be a jerk

#42 Not So Average Joe

Not So Average Joe

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:31 AM

Pit Bulls are a great breed. I to was guilty of stereo typing this breed for many years. Thats until I started learning about dogs and training. I have not seen an agressive Pit Bull in town. But on the other side of SAc, I have.
They are a friendly animal that loves to be loved and will be your best friend. They will look agressive if you are afraid. Any dog can sense this and will react the same.
But with that said, There will always be the odd one inthe pack or the lack of proper training and ATTENTION. All dogs needs attention and constant training.

#43 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Freedom. Family. Food. Funds.

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

It seems like a catch 22 in some respects. You need to get a dog into the public to socialize and train; it's difficult to train away bad behavior until they exhibit it. But then, it exposes the public to some risk if the owners aren't sufficiently trained / prepared / able to control the dog.

John Caparulo (sp?) had a great bit on dogs and dog owners. Some dogs should have to wear pants :)

#44 25or6to4

25or6to4

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

Chihuahua's can be mean nasty dogs. But no matter how nasty they get, it's a 4-6 lb rat at best. They just don't have the power to be deadly other than by freak accident.

mean & nasty pitbulls can & do cause serious harm and death.

I think the majority of the problem of pit bulls is the reputation the breed has leads to it being owned by owners that help perpetuate the reputation by raising the dogs to be mean and nasty. not all owners, but enough to make it a problem breed reputation wise.

It's not fair to the dogs, but that's the reality of the situation.

It's a strong and powerful breed with a certain predisposition to be protective, but it has a dog's brain making the decision when it needs to be protective, and sometimes it's been trained by humans that have less intelligence than the breed.
"And the Wind cries Mary"

#45 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:30 PM

There is no reason nor room in our society for a dog breed like a pit bull.

They serve only as short legged, power mouthed dynamos that have a fixation on destruction, and are naturally inclined to lose complete control and focus, and attack anyone without provocation.

The pit bull breed should be destroyed or placed in a view only zoo.

It should be a controlled breed that can only be legally owned by someone with a specialized license, much like only certain people can own large wildlife animals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users