46 replies to this topic

#31 TomStarling

TomStarling

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE(Darthvader @ Sep 10 2007, 05:42 PM) View Post
I find it truly amazing that there are people here that can talk more (about) crap than me!

Well, this is sort of my area of expertise. Bird poop, only, though. I'll leave all other crap knowledge up to you.

#32 doj_gal

doj_gal

MyFolsom's Back at it Kid!

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 12:18 PM

QUOTE(TomStarling @ Sep 12 2007, 12:46 PM) View Post
Well, this is sort of my area of expertise. Bird poop, only, though. I'll leave all other crap knowledge up to you.

Hilarious...new guy...you rock!!!!
The new guy picking on Darth...WOW you have a way of upsetting everyone there Darthy!!!

#33 D's TK

D's TK

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 01:00 PM

QUOTE(TomStarling @ Sep 10 2007, 02:12 PM) View Post
There are a lot of dangers associated with goose poop, folks. In the realm of serious diseases (thanks for mentioning a bunch of them up there), there are ton of diseases that humans can get from geese. You can get some more information at http://www.bird-x.com. Also, their highly acidic droppings can damage property, as well as disrupt delicate ecological balances, causing algal blooms, E. coli outbreaks, and other problems.

Luckily, there are a ton of ways to convince geese to go elsewhere, without ever harming a feather. Dr. Philip Whitford is a Professor of Biology at Capital University in Columbus OH, and has been studying Canada goose behavior and vocal communications since 1979. He holds a PhD in biological sciences in the field of animal behavior, and BS and MS degrees in wildlife management.

His research led to the development of GooseBuster, which plays recordings of actual goose alarm and alert calls. He obtained these calls in nature after nearly 30 years of field research, and they are the only such calls in the world. They have been very effective at repelling geese permanently.

http://www.bird-x.co...ts/gbuster.html

In addition, there are food grade taste aversions like GooseChase, that make any grassy area unpalatable to geese.

http://www.bird-x.co...ducts/goose.htm

On a smaller scale, there are also 3D coyotes and other home solutions. Visit http://www.bird-x.com for more information.

This is the wisest post yet on the goose problem! You go, newbie! I am all for solutions that do NOT hurt any animals. As a parent, I do recognize the need for our kids to be able to play sports and participate in P.E. classes free from the ravages of goose doodie. Unfortunately, we live right underneath one of their stops on the way to warmer climates. Personally, I love geese (and birds in general)...I love hearing them in the morning passing overhead, but I certainly hope the city or school district can be compelled to use some of the above solutions. It is an issue of health and sanitation.

**Special message to all the gun-toting folks so quick to pull out the amo: we as a society keep encroaching further and further into the natural habitat of so many species of animals (most of whom are beneficial to our environment in general) that some of them don't have anywhere else to go! Shooting every poor creature that wanders down into town is not a good solution! I am not against hunting and I am not into P.E.T.A., but we have to come up with better solutions. We are all part of that big circle-of-life thingy, ya know? In closing, I would like to leave everyone with this to think about....

♪….they paved paradise and put up a parking lot…♫

hippe.gif

#34 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE(TomStarling @ Sep 12 2007, 12:46 PM) View Post

What's the pay like for the whole bird poop expertise gig? tongue.gif

I also like your nonviolent approach to solving the Canadian geese problem. Welcome, new guy.

#35 D's TK

D's TK

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE(ducky @ Sep 12 2007, 02:58 PM) View Post
What's the pay like for the whole bird poop expertise gig? tongue.gif

I also like your nonviolent approach to solving the Canadian geese problem. Welcome, new guy.

Mea culpa! I mean't to say "welcome" as well...but then I went off on my animal/nature-lover tirade!

Good to see new folks with good ideas!! biggrin.gif

#36 jafount

jafount

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 04:32 PM

I love how hunting is "violent". Hunting is natural predation and is no more violent than the rest of nature. It's proven time and time again that LEGAL hunting is the most effective natural method of species control.

Give me a break.
We all dream of a world of sunshine and rainbows and peace. The problem is some people think this would be a great place to live, while others think it would be a great place to pillage.

#37 D's TK

D's TK

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE(jafount @ Sep 12 2007, 05:32 PM) View Post
I love how hunting is "violent". Hunting is natural predation and is no more violent than the rest of nature. It's proven time and time again that LEGAL hunting is the most effective natural method of species control.

Give me a break.

I am all for legal hunting. We are carnivores at my house...bring on the steak letseat.gif . I come from a family who has hunted as long back as I can remember. I saw my mom skin many a deer and cook up big pots of venison stew. And personally, I think hunting is WAY less violent than what happens in nature...have you ever watched animal planet??? And I agree that hunting is a method of species control, although I would not call it "natural" per se. My brother hunts bear every year to help keep the population down. But if there is a way to eliminate the goose problem over at the school without busting a cap in all of 'em...well, that is what I prefer. It still leaves the question of what is going to happen as we push further into animal habitats...where are they supposed to go? Do we just shoot all of them? If we figure out a way to keep the geese from stopping here, they will still be stopping somewhere. And what will those folks say?? All I am saying is that we have to share the space, man rolleyes.gif

#38 jafount

jafount

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:14 PM

The problem with Geese isnt that we've pushed into their habitat, it's that we've created habitat and sanctuary so they no longer have to migrate. Hence, they hang out at the high school...
We all dream of a world of sunshine and rainbows and peace. The problem is some people think this would be a great place to live, while others think it would be a great place to pillage.

#39 D's TK

D's TK

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE(jafount @ Sep 12 2007, 10:14 PM) View Post
The problem with Geese isnt that we've pushed into their habitat, it's that we've created habitat and sanctuary so they no longer have to migrate. Hence, they hang out at the high school...

Surely you don't think the geese are staying here all year around? Maybe a few do....but they are programmed to go much farther south than this in the winter time. The problem at the school is that they stop in large groups, one after the other, and make a huge mess for about a month and it is definitely a health hazzard. I think it would be neat to put a couple of fake coyotes out there and broascast some goose distress calls....nobody gets hurt and our kids aren't up to their armpits in goose goo laugh.gif

My comments about pushing into animal habitats was not aimed at the geese....just at the dilemna in general that we are facing. But if there wasn't a school right there, the geese would still be stopping, just no one would complain about it.

#40 jafount

jafount

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE(D @ Sep 12 2007, 10:42 PM) View Post
Surely you don't think the geese are staying here all year around? Maybe a few do....but they are programmed to go much farther south than this in the winter time. The problem at the school is that they stop in large groups, one after the other, and make a huge mess for about a month and it is definitely a health hazzard. I think it would be neat to put a couple of fake coyotes out there and broascast some goose distress calls....nobody gets hurt and our kids aren't up to their armpits in goose goo laugh.gif

My comments about pushing into animal habitats was not aimed at the geese....just at the dilemna in general that we are facing. But if there wasn't a school right there, the geese would still be stopping, just no one would complain about it.

Yes I do. The migratory patterns of waterfowl have been changing significantly over the years. Many geese are full time residents of the area.

#41 Phonon

Phonon

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Interests:hike camp kayak bike sleep

Posted 13 September 2007 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE(D @ Sep 12 2007, 10:42 PM) View Post

Actually, there wasn't any tasty green grass there before the HS, so they did not stop there.

Bulldoze the whole area, make it flat, take out all the rocks and predators, put down a big green welcome mat (approx 120 yards long), and BAM!

You built it, and they came.

#42 D's TK

D's TK

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE(jafount @ Sep 13 2007, 05:21 PM) View Post
Yes I do. The migratory patterns of waterfowl have been changing significantly over the years. Many geese are full time residents of the area.

I am sure there are probably some that stick around for the winter here, but I still have to think the majority of them are still going to seek out warmer climates down south.

#43 D's TK

D's TK

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 05:29 PM

QUOTE(Phonon @ Sep 13 2007, 05:26 PM) View Post
Actually, there wasn't any tasty green grass there before the HS, so they did not stop there.

Bulldoze the whole area, make it flat, take out all the rocks and predators, put down a big green welcome mat (approx 120 yards long), and BAM!

Exactly what I mean...sort of tongue.gif We moved into a space that was not inviting for the geese, made it nice, and now we want them to move along! I seriously don't want my kids rolling around in goose doo, so I say we put up some fake coyotes and encourage these stragglers to be on their way biggrin.gif

Fake coyote building party at my house this weekend...be there or be square lmaosmiley.gif (Please bring a snack for everyone to share...but no pate! laugh.gif )

#44 dori2u

dori2u

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:18 PM

Do what Boise State University did. They Installed a blue artificial turf football field. Migrating birds mistook it for a lake and dove head first into the field, breaking their necks!
QUOTE(Phonon @ Sep 13 2007, 05:26 PM) View Post

#45 TomStarling

TomStarling

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 10:31 AM

QUOTE(Phonon @ Sep 13 2007, 07:26 PM) View Post

That's exactly it. An ideal habitat was created, so the idea is to make it not so ideal. Distress sounds, bad tasting grass and scary coyotes kind of ruin the party for them.

PS: Thanks for all the warm welcomes!

PPS: Sorry if this thread is dead :'(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users