• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 tgianco

tgianco

Living Legend

• 4,152 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, soccer, football, poker, wine, good food, reading

Posted 25 July 2005 - 03:50 PM

Since my property has a main street on one side, I want to put some shrubs between my fence and the sidewalk.

First, is this w/in the CC&Rs? I would assume so, since I've been told we can plant there. I need to do so to keep kids from knocking my fence over again.

Second, what shrub would look good, be hearty and grow to anywhere from 6-8 feet tall (also giving us some privacy, since the fences here are basically see through)? I realize I will have to cut it back so that it doesn't overgrow the sidewalk.

Third, any ideas on some vining that would look good one either side of the fence?

Thanks for your replies.
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

#2 Farley

Farley

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 04:01 PM

One of the most commonly used shrubs to make privacy walls is Photinia. It is hardy, grows fast, turns red part of the year, and, if maintained, looks like a well maicured hedge. I could show you some pictures of the photinia hedge I had.

For a vine that is fast, hardy, and blooms, I would choose Lady Banks Rosa which has yellow flowers briefly each year but is a great vine to cover a fence. Hardenbergia is another, but slower, vine great for covering a fence.

Please don't use Privet for your hedge. They are messy and their flowers stink. They are frequently used for hedges.

#3 tgianco

tgianco

Living Legend

• 4,152 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE(Farley @ Jul 25 2005, 04:01 PM)
One of the most commonly used shrubs to make privacy walls is Photinia.  It is hardy, grows fast, turns red part of the year, and, if maintained, looks like a well maicured hedge.  I could show you some pictures of the photinia hedge I had.

For a vine that is fast, hardy, and blooms, I would choose Lady Banks Rosa which has yellow flowers briefly each year but is a great vine to cover a fence.  Hardenbergia is another, but slower, vine great for covering a fence.

Please don't use Privet for your hedge.  They are messy and their flowers stink.  They are frequently used for hedges.

View Post

Would you go to a place like Home Depot or to a nursery? If a nursery, is there one that you can recommend (price-wise, distance and quality)? Thanks.

#4 jagayman

jagayman

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 04:59 PM

My Photinia from HD is doing well. Also check OSH -- they often have better prices.

Another dense shrub -- if you have 3 or more feet to work with -- is escalonia (sp?).

Both will need irrigation -- the photinia can survive off of the ground saturation if you are watering on the other side of the fence, but it will need help through the first year or two (once it is about 4' tall it should be OK on its own). Escalonia will need its own irrigation or it will certainly die sad.gif

Photinia has the ability to grow to 30' so be prepared to trim it each year. If you want to see a 30' photinia (or at least 20'), drive up Auburn-Folsom north of Douglas. It's on the right within the first couple of miles.

Jason
Jason Gayman
Folsom Weather Webmaster

#5 Farley

Farley

Living Legend

• Members
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 06:19 PM

There are two problems with escalonia....one it has a propensity to be sticky and the flowers attract bees...

Photinia is easily found at Home Depot , Lowes, and Orchard.....all guarnatee plants for one year, and Orchard for the life of the plant if you have the receipt.

I tore my escalonia out. I also kept the photinia at 7 feet high and the hedge was about 20 + feet long and solid. Very manicured and strong.

#6 jagayman

jagayman

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 11:28 PM

Farley, I do have the bee population on the esc. (I don't really consider it a problem as long as they mind their own bee's wax).

I haven't had the sticky problem and I just trimmed them way back so I would have noticed. Maybe aphids?

Jason
Jason Gayman
Folsom Weather Webmaster

#7 tgianco

tgianco

Living Legend

• 4,152 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 06:08 AM

How round does Photinia get? I have a long section of fence I want to plant it in front of, but it's a section that is probably 20-22 inches wide. How often would I need to cut it back? What is the spacing between plants?

Farley,

How long did it take to get as big as you say?

#8 Farley

Farley

Living Legend

• Members
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 07:27 AM

QUOTE(tgianco @ Jul 26 2005, 07:08 AM)
How round does Photinia get? I have a long section of fence I want to plant it in front of, but it's a section that is probably 20-22 inches wide. How often would I need to cut it back? What is the spacing between plants?

Farley,

How long did it take to get as big as you say?

View Post

Photinia is a fairly fast grower, so it would take a few years, but you can always keep it shaped at one year, two years, three years, etc. until it is as tall as you like.

I did not keep my photinia round at all. It was always crew cut and sharp edges and flat sided facing the street.

#9 Cloud9

Cloud9

Hopeless Addict

• Member*
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,000 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 08:35 AM

QUOTE(Farley @ Jul 25 2005, 04:01 PM)
One of the most commonly used shrubs to make privacy walls is Photinia.  It is hardy, grows fast, turns red part of the year, and, if maintained, looks like a well maicured hedge.  I could show you some pictures of the photinia hedge I had.

For a vine that is fast, hardy, and blooms, I would choose Lady Banks Rosa which has yellow flowers briefly each year but is a great vine to cover a fence.  Hardenbergia is another, but slower, vine great for covering a fence.

Please don't use Privet for your hedge.  They are messy and their flowers stink.  They are frequently used for hedges.

View Post

Lets see all the pictures! (with labels please)
"The important thing is not to stop questioning'' | "Imagination is more important than knowledge"
-- Albert Einstein--

http://folsomforum.com/

IPB Image

#10 tgianco

tgianco

Living Legend

• 4,152 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 07:08 AM

QUOTE(Cloud9 @ Jul 26 2005, 08:35 AM)
Lets see all the pictures!  (with labels please)

View Post

Yes, Farley, can you post a pic of the photonia?

#11 Farley

Farley

Living Legend

• Members
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 07:30 AM

user posted image

QUOTE(tgianco @ Aug 9 2005, 08:08 AM)
Yes, Farley, can you post a pic of the photonia?

View Post

#12 tgianco

tgianco

Living Legend

• 4,152 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 07:42 AM

QUOTE(Farley @ Aug 9 2005, 07:30 AM)
user posted image

View Post

Nice.

Thank you.

#13 Cloud9

Cloud9

Hopeless Addict

• Member*
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,000 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 11:00 AM

Do you have a close up? smile.gif

Do these require much water? Seems like just about everything we planted that requires much watering has died this summer.
"The important thing is not to stop questioning'' | "Imagination is more important than knowledge"
-- Albert Einstein--

http://folsomforum.com/

IPB Image

#14 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE(Cloud9 @ Aug 9 2005, 11:00 AM)
Do you have a close up?  smile.gif

Do these require much water?  Seems like just about everything we planted that requires much watering has died this summer.

View Post

Photinias don't require much water. Even with the recent high temps, those I see down the street from me just get incidental water from nearby lawns.

#15 Farley

Farley

Living Legend

• Members
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 02:36 PM

user posted image

ideas for photinia hedge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users