50 replies to this topic

#1 mac_convert

mac_convert

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 10:35 PM

I just saw this on Facebook. The boy in the accident did't make it.

http://www.gofundme.com/wkg9sn7f

#2 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 05:03 AM

Thats weird. News reports are saying he is recovering. I hope someone hasnt started a scam after a traumatic event. The family doesn't deserve that.

The news reported there is no stop sign or a crosswalk near where the accident site happened. Commenters on the story are saying there is a crosswalk a hundred feet away from where the accident occurred. They are saying it is tragic the coy died for not going to a crosswalk. 

Does anyone live over there? Are there table top speed bumps or other traffic calming measures? 45MPH in a strictly residential area like the news is reporting seems excessive.

#3 sunnyCA

sunnyCA

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 06:35 AM

http://fox40.com/201...ild-hit-by-car/

This report says that he died.  It is so tragic.  The boy was a classmate of my son's and we came upon the accident right after it happened.  I can only imagine the pain that his family is suffering.

There is no crosswalk and the nearest one is NOT 100 feet away. The closest crosswalk is at East Natoma/Empire Ranch Road and it much further than 100'. Another crosswalk is at Bonhill/East Natoma but that one is even further.  The speed limit on East Natoma is 45 but people routinely speed much faster than that.  Even if the driver was going the speed limit, a 45 mph car would cause devastating injuries to a bike rider. There have been countless accidents coming from the nearby neighborhoods as people try to turn onto East Natoma.  

It is time for the city to look at putting a light with a crosswalk--either at Cameron or at Wesley.  This would give pedestrians and kids a place to cross safely and would slow traffic.  We need to do everything possible to prevent another tragedy like this one.

#4 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 07:09 AM

Isn't E. Natoma St in that area 4 lanes?  That would explain the 45MPH speed limit.

#5 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 07:33 AM

Does anyone have information on how the accident happened? Was the child turning from Cameron onto East Natoma, or riding straight on East Natoma, or?? And was the car proceeding straight on East Natoma, or turning?

I feel very sad for everyone involved in this tragedy. My heart goes out to the Suh family and to the driver, who is reportedly devastated. One report was that the driver was blinded by the sun--we've all had that happen.

While we don't yet know how this accident occurred, it's a good time to remind our kids that drivers can't always see them, might not anticipate certain things (like bikes traveling the wrong way on the sidewalk etc.)so kids need to be supremely careful and really ride/walk defensively. Similarly, we drivers need to keep in mind that it's summer vacation; there will be kids riding/walking/scootering all over the place, and we need to slow down and keep a constant eye out.

#6 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 07:38 AM

http://fox40.com/201...ild-hit-by-car/

This report says that he died.  It is so tragic.  The boy was a classmate of my son's and we came upon the accident right after it happened.  I can only imagine the pain that his family is suffering.

There is no crosswalk and the nearest one is NOT 100 feet away. The closest crosswalk is at East Natoma/Empire Ranch Road and it much further than 100'. Another crosswalk is at Bonhill/East Natoma but that one is even further.  The speed limit on East Natoma is 45 but people routinely speed much faster than that.  Even if the driver was going the speed limit, a 45 mph car would cause devastating injuries to a bike rider. There have been countless accidents coming from the nearby neighborhoods as people try to turn onto East Natoma.  

It is time for the city to look at putting a light with a crosswalk--either at Cameron or at Wesley.  This would give pedestrians and kids a place to cross safely and would slow traffic.  We need to do everything possible to prevent another tragedy like this one.

Thanks for responding. i have a better understanding of the area after your description I was able to look it up on the map.

That area definitely would benefit a cross walk right at the exit of the housing development---> entrance onto E Natoma. Its rather odd there isnt a pedestrian/bike friendly measures at that location. 

#7 tony

tony

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 07:52 AM

Thanks for responding. i have a better understanding of the area after your description I was able to look it up on the map.

That area definitely would benefit a cross walk right at the exit of the housing development---> entrance onto E Natoma. Its rather odd there isnt a pedestrian/bike friendly measures at that location. 

Not odd, just typical.  Our road system out here in the burbs is designed primarily to move cars efficiently (i.e., fast and with the least number of stops), with the safety of those not in a car a distant afterthought.

BTW, it's about 1,000 feet to the nearest marked crosswalk at Empire Ranch Road (by law, there is an unmarked crosswalk, for what it's worth, at Cameron) and a half mile to the one at Golf Links. Way too far to expect someone to go to cross the street.

#8 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 10:39 AM

the first thing I thought of was the sun in the driver's eyes considering the time of day.  If there were a bike in the road on E. Natoma, you would not expect it to be there and you  might not see it until it was too late.  accidents happen and this is a tragedy for everyone involved.  so sorry.

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#9 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:00 AM

the first thing I thought of was the sun in the driver's eyes considering the time of day.

Or a combination of that AND a distracted driver. There's a lot of that going on these days. Seemingly at least half the drivers I see are staring like a zombie at their stupid cell phone. I'm sure the investigation will look into it.

#10 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:19 AM

Was the driver driving eastbound or westbound?

But ace is right. lots of things can distract a driver. Even things not in a car. a dog running across the road, a garage sign posted on a telephone pole, a hot dude driving a red hot chili pepper colored lamborghini.....

#11 gbfolsom

gbfolsom

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:26 AM

I use the crosswalk at E. Natoma and Empire Ranch Road nearly every morning as I'm coming back from my walk on the neighboring trails.  Drivers aren't consistent about yielding to pedestrians even in the cross walk. I learned quickly not to assume someone is going to stop to let me cross. They also drive well over the speed limit on both ERR and ENS.  There are two very clearly marked crosswalks on Golf Links Drive with large signs in the middle of the road that say "it's state law to yield to pedestrians."  You would be amazed even in those well marked crosswalks how few people stop for pedestrians to cross.  One of them comes directly off of a bike path so it is quite busy. Bikers and pedestrians often have to stand there for several minutes to wait for traffic.  

#12 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 12:31 PM

The last couple weeks has been very hard for the kids at FMS. Very sad event here.

#13 Robert Gary

Robert Gary

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 12:36 PM

Or a combination of that AND a distracted driver. There's a lot of that going on these days. Seemingly at least half the drivers I see are staring like a zombie at their stupid cell phone. I'm sure the investigation will look into it.

So long as we're speculating it could have been a meteor strike that distracted the driver.

-Robert

#14 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 12:37 PM

The last couple weeks has been very hard for the kids at FMS. Very sad event here.

did something else happen? 

#15 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 01:03 PM

So long as we're speculating it could have been a meteor strike that distracted the driver.

-Robert

Robert, I will bet you a beer that the driver was using their phone in one way or another (talking or texting).
Warning: the odds are on my side on this !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users