#1 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:34 PM

How to shop? Whats the lingo?

Im not interested in learning how to fix it, so I plan on putting slime goo in, and when tread wears out, replacing it.

The bike is a mens 26" bike. It has front disc and rear v brake---which I don't have a clue what that means.

Im not sure If I need to know that except the guy at sports authority asked me. I said I thought disc, but went home and googled the bike and that is what they said. Originally the guy at sports authority said a street tire conversion is different for a disc break vs a pad brake. I have no idea what a v break is.

can someone tell me? I really hate bikes

and there just isn't any information I have found on conversion for this mountain bike.

#2 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:44 PM

1. Go to a bike shop, not Sports Authority.
2. I am not aware of any need for a brake change just to put a street tire on a mountain bike.
3. Go to a bike shop!

#3 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:01 PM

1. Go to a bike shop, not Sports Authority.
2. I am not aware of any need for a brake change just to put a street tire on a mountain bike.
3. Go to a bike shop!

bike shops tend to charge too much for their products. I would prefer to buy somewhere else then take into a shop for installment.
So, I do need to know what I'm talking about/ shopping for. Anyone?

#4 olivia

olivia

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:14 PM

bike shops tend to charge too much for their products. I would prefer to buy somewhere else then take into a shop for installment.
So, I do need to know what I'm talking about/ shopping for. Anyone?

Not necessarily. Another option is REI, their bike dept.Or you can take your chances with a Walmart or target (do they have bikes at target?)

#5 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:30 PM

Well, through googling (why is this being auto corrected? google-ing should be a word by now for Pete's sake!) and finding a yahoo answers page (someone else had the same query!)

I learned that it does indeed matter what type of brakes you have.

So, If I want a road tire I have to inquire if it is a rim tire or a disc tire..

Also, I learned that the best road tire should have a psi of 50-80.

And you can find road tires for a 26 inch wheel.

It is best to find a tire for a 26 inch wheel that has a width of 1.5-1.9

Apparently the smaller the more odd they look but the faster they ride, and the more uncomfortable.

Good thing I just spent a hundred-and-some bucks on a helmet and a seat.

ok. --so i still haven't found out how they are labeled for you to know if it is a disc or rim wheeled tire.

so now I have another question for the bicycle enthusiasts.

If I put slime in the mountain bike tires is it going to be an issue taking them off?

#6 olivia

olivia

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:37 PM

Well, through googling (why is this being auto corrected? google-ing should be a word by now for Pete's sake!) and finding a yahoo answers page (someone else had the same query!)

I learned that it does indeed matter what type of brakes you have.

So, If I want a road tire I have to inquire if it is a rim tire or a disc tire..

Also, I learned that the best road tire should have a psi of 50-80.

And you can find road tires for a 26 inch wheel.

It is best to find a tire for a 26 inch wheel that has a width of 1.5-1.9

Apparently the smaller the more odd they look but the faster they ride, and the more uncomfortable.

Good thing I just spent a hundred-and-some bucks on a helmet and a seat.

ok. --so i still haven't found out how they are labeled for you to know if it is a disc or rim wheeled tire.

so now I have another question for the bicycle enthusiasts.

If I put slime in the mountain bike tires is it going to be an issue taking them off?

The slime I think you are referring to is a very ineffective and messy attempt to stop leaks in the tube and does nothing for the tire. It is put into the tube thru the stem and gets onto the tire as it leaks thro any puncture or any slime that doesn't get into the stem and spills onto the tire. Not sure what you what the slime to do for your tire....?

#7 mac_convert

mac_convert

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:40 PM

I would take your bike to Bicycles Plus. The products bike shops carry are good. Find what you need this time and if you insist on buying cheaper you'll know for next time. Bike shop bikes and equipment (not sure about wheels) are better than the discount shop alternatives. My 17 year old mountain bike is far superior to any bike you'd find at Walmart, Target, Costcto, etc. I got "slicks" for my bike about five years ago from Bicycles Plus and I haven't need to purchase another set. I'm sure the other bike shops in the area are reputable too, I've just decided to continue business with a shop that has treated me right since the first time I walked through the door.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users