New Development Iron Point Road & Willard-Behind Safeway

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 12:28 PM

This is new information to me so thought I would pass it along. It was presented in the most recent Natoma Station newsletter- that I have yet to receive in print.

It is too bad that the final remnants of Miner's ridge forest and tailings will be destroyed.. but I guess the city council is relentless until every unprotected plot of nature is destroyed...( the flat portion behind the store was destroyed a few years ago when they put Willard through to Iron Point). IT is my Opinion that if the trails systems that are in place today, that they would not exist and most of the land they cover would be built up... So glad that land "seems" to be protected, although I do not know this to be a fact ( the protection).

I always wondered what would happen to the rest of Miner Ridge- and now we know.  Interesting are Intel's comments. Note- anything in  ( ) are my comments and not the original author.

and now the rest of the story....

Cresleigh homes completed the purchase of the large lot behind Safeway on the corner of Iron Point
Road and Willard Drive as well as the lot across Willard that backs up to 17 homes on Bayline Circle.
On the lot adjacent to Safeway the builder plans to submit a plan for rezoning the lot from commercial to
residential in order to build an approximately 250-unit “high end” apartment complex to the City. The
apartment plan was made in response to a request by Intel for housing that would appeal to their
employees; the proposed design is “mid-century modern” and is in the process of being refined. The
apartment complex is likely to be gated and will incorporate parking garages and walkways to connect the
complex to the areas resources.
The smaller, approximately 7 acre, lot on Wiilard, is now forested and containing mining tailings is slated
for ( destruction with)  approximately 50 small lot homes. The builder has met with the adjacent homeowners on Bayline
Circle to discuss the options for the site abutting their yards ( and likely snowed them on what they wanted to hear versus what will really happen) . The site will be graded, the trees clear cut
and ( BS) mitigation measures including lot line adjustments and tree re-planting (Oh my - new seedlings of which 1 in 100 might live)  and privacy concerns have been reviewed with the adjacent neighbors. An entire neighborhood meeting is planned soon.
The plans will be submitted to the City Planning staff in the upcoming weeks, dates for the Planning
Commission and subsequent City Council hearings for approval are not yet established. If you would like
meeting notifications send a note to nsconews@comcast.net...

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#2 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 01:33 PM

I agree with your comments Folsom500. Why does Intel suddenly need more housing? As far as I know, they are not hiring.

When my kids are done with school, I hope Hubby and I can move to somewhere quieter, without relentless development and constantly increasing population and traffic.

#3 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 01:51 PM

I believe Intel owned that land at one time.  Sold it off to the city/developers ~10yr ago

Go to any other Intel campus and there are a lot more "local" housing options within walking distance.  What company wouldn't want their employees living across the street.  No commute and no cars to have to park.

Intel is always hiring.  Sometimes more than others but there is always hiring going on due to attrition.  The Folsom campus isn't exactly what you would call sexy to young college hires looking for local amenities such as housing.

#4 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 02:22 PM

I love the idea of housing there which gives Intel employees an opportunity to walk to work. It's also walking distance to stores and restaurants, which relieves traffic congestion. That's the kind of housing young people want, not sprawling suburban homes where you need a car to do anything.

#5 mrdavex

mrdavex

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 02:27 PM

Actually, Intel owned that land up until last year and put up For Sale signs.  I didn't know if the sale as successful, but this solves the mystery.

I agree with you about the housing.  I've lived in Folsom for 10 years, and no new apartments have been built since then.  Many new hires want to start out in an apartment (like I did) before considering long-term housing options.  At that time, my apartment complex was considering converting to condos, so there would have been even fewer rental options.  If there is not enough starter housing available, it makes it difficult to attract new talent that doesn't want to make a daily commute all the way from much farther distances, like Roseville or Elk Grove.

So I have no issue with the apartments behind Safeway, though I think it would be unattractive to replace those trees and hills with more homes :(

I believe Intel owned that land at one time.  Sold it off to the city/developers ~10yr ago

Go to any other Intel campus and there are a lot more "local" housing options within walking distance.  What company wouldn't want their employees living across the street.  No commute and no cars to have to park.

Intel is always hiring.  Sometimes more than others but there is always hiring going on due to attrition.  The Folsom campus isn't exactly what you would call sexy to young college hires looking for local amenities such as housing.

--
"Let's just hope Comcast doesn't own any tanks."
-Robert X. Cringely

#6 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 02:37 PM

The only thing worse then sprawl is high density sprawl.

Well, at least water isn't an issue.

#7 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 02:54 PM

I love the idea of housing there which gives Intel employees an opportunity to walk to work. It's also walking distance to stores and restaurants, which relieves traffic congestion. That's the kind of housing young people want, not sprawling suburban homes where you need a car to do anything.

BUT, will Intel employees get the first shot at the houses???

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#8 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 02:56 PM

BUT, will Intel employees get the first shot at the houses???

I don't know the terms of the deal, but if Intel isn't ponying up anything, I don't think they should. Free market and they will, arguably, be more interested and more likely to sign.

#9 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 02:57 PM

it is however- considered a prime location for the think bleed generation leaving India and working here in folsom. I have no idea what the attrition levels are for people with green cards working in Folsom Intel; I seriously doubt if anyone else does either. Or cares that work visa families are not leaving when they are done working for Intel.

#10 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 04:32 PM

The apt complex katty corner from Intel right now charges about $1500+ a month rent. I know several Intel folks that live there and complain that it's too much which it is. Maybe another option isn't a bad thing.

So I guess the city has fulfilled the low income housing requirement with those apts just down the road by the Saki plant?

#11 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 05:01 PM

The apt complex katty corner from Intel right now charges about $1500+ a month rent. I know several Intel folks that live there and complain that it's too much which it is. Maybe another option isn't a bad thing.

So I guess the city has fulfilled the low income housing requirement with those apts just down the road by the Saki plant?

Folsom500's post said the new apartments behind Safeway would be "high-end."  Does that mean more than $1,500 a month?

#12 giacomo

giacomo

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Interests:Wine, good food, goof friends traveling to Hawaii, soccer, 70's/80's music, , Lake Tahoe

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:07 AM

We had the Granite Apartments on Sibley open within the last year or so. But agree, we do need some additional apartments in Folsom.  Mid Century Modern??? what is that?

#13 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:31 AM

We had the Granite Apartments on Sibley open within the last year or so. But agree, we do need some additional apartments in Folsom.  Mid Century Modern??? what is that?

Those apartments only accept applications from midway houses, drug rehab, and homeless rehab clinics

So, you can call it affordable housing if you want. 

It is actually welfare restart 

#14 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 09:52 AM

One of the hottest design trends around. Has always been one of my favorites, now the things I like are just more expensive.

Think Danish Modern, Eichler, Scandanavian designs. Ranch homes, well thought out and deliberate, simple, functional, open views/spaces to the outside, and no space wasted.

Pretty much the opposite of the sprawling contempory homes with hundreds of square feet of hallways.

#15 mrdavex

mrdavex

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 10:43 AM

One of the hottest design trends around. Has always been one of my favorites, now the things I like are just more expensive.

Think Danish Modern, Eichler, Scandanavian designs. Ranch homes, well thought out and deliberate, simple, functional, open views/spaces to the outside, and no space wasted.

Pretty much the opposite of the sprawling contempory homes with hundreds of square feet of hallways.

Yes, I love mid-century modern design too.  If you've ever been to Palm Springs, it is the dominant architecture.  It's also withstood the test of time pretty well, and many of our renowned architects were known for this style: Frank Lloyd Wright, Albert Frey, Richard Neutra, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, William Perreira, E Stewart Williams, and others.

I've been redecorating the interior of my home with Mid-Century modern inspirations, and if I ever had the opportunity to build a custom home, I would build it in this style.  Much better than the Mediterranean/Tuscan style around here.

--
"Let's just hope Comcast doesn't own any tanks."
-Robert X. Cringely

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users