• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#16 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:05 PM

QUOTE (chris v @ Feb 2 2010, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The guy in the article says "I've always been a believer in hard work, and at this point I'm a whole lot less particular about what I want to do,"... No he isn't, he is losing his home and has failed his family. Another loser looking for sympathy and handouts.

Hey Chris- I have to agree with the guy- he was making over $80 K and that was not something he can get in todays market - so of course he is less particular about what he will accept- but the reality is that while looking it makes sense to use the funds available to him that He has paid into for so many years to get food and money... It would be crazy for him to take a job at Burger King when his paid into unemployment and food stamps will get him more and give him more time to pursue other options for employment.
I run my own business and at times it is difficult to make ends meet - but my background is upper management manufacturing and there are just no options out there. My other situation is that I am over 55 and while a resume can mask some of that as Deb said- once you get in for an interview it is all over- There IS Age discrimination out there.
If I could qualify for food stamps , I would certainly use them. And since I have had my own business - even though I paid into unemployment for 30 + years and never taken a dime back- I would not qualify to get any money if I went belly up...

I have often told others in this guys situation to get what they can and then spend the time looking for something that will support the family- which Burger King will not ... If you are working 2 or 3 jobs to make ends meet and you have a marketable background- you then are too busy to pursue the REAL jobs that could bring you back to being able to support your family for the long term.

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#17 prouddad

prouddad

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE (chris v @ Feb 2 2010, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awesome... All, I'm saying is the guy isn't even trying... Did his wife try? Who knows. I'll admit, I am a real hard a$$ about stuff like this, but I only speak from experience. I didn't just show up in this town, I busted my a$$ to get here. I had every odd against me, every single one. I made the best of it. I worked 14+ hour days 7 days a week to take care of my young family, all when I was 19 years old. I went days without eating at times, but my family had everything it needed to survive, which at the time wasn't much. It might seem like I'm picking on this guy, but I'm more using him as an example. I don't care that he worked at his job for 16 years, that statement in it's own is stupid and irrelevant to the whole article. It does one of two things. It's either searching for pity or searching for entitlement. I pick entitlement.

And dont forget walking to work backwards in the snow...blah, blah, blah....WE ALL go thru our own sh.t and work our a$$ off-you are not the only one! Maybe the reason this is touchy for me is because I was in this guys shoes! I was at a good paying job for MANY years and...poof-gone. And it was strictly due to the economy. My wife also worked but it was not enough to live on...My very modest 2 bedroom house was about to go into forclosure. I worked my a$$ off for my family and if someone like you called me a loser...ughhhhh! Just put yourself in someone elses shoes-thats all

#18 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:15 PM

Awesome... All, I'm saying is the guy isn't even trying... Did his wife try? Who knows. I'll admit, I am a real hard a$$ about stuff like this, but I only speak from experience. I didn't just show up in this town, I busted my a$$ to get here. I had every odd against me, every single one. I made the best of it. I worked 14+ hour days 7 days a week to take care of my young family, all when I was 19 years old. I went days without eating at times, but my family had everything it needed to survive, which at the time wasn't much. It might seem like I'm picking on this guy, but I'm more using him as an example. I don't care that he worked at his job for 16 years, that statement in it's own is stupid and irrelevant to the whole article. It does one of two things. It's either searching for pity or searching for entitlement. I pick entitlement.

OR he's making the point that he worked hard and was loyal to his company, which up and left him in the lurch. It's his way of letting readers know he hasn't been a slacker.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#19 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:38 PM

Do not judge this family until you have lived their situation. They have a special-needs child and that is usally a lot of money out of pocket for things that insurance doesn't cover. Also, they could have been a victim of the over-inflated housing crises that bailed out Wall St. but forgot about Main St. Why is everyone so angry at this father? It could easily be you. Maybe they don't have family and used all of their 401K savings trying to pay their over-inflated mortgage? Did you ever think of that? Maybe the mom stays home b/c when he made close to $100,000 (which isn't that much here) b/c she wanted to take care of her special needs child. Also, he was a STABLE employee for 16 years-isn't that worth something? You guys are too much.
Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#20 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:39 PM

I'm not asking any of you to agree with me, I'm just stating my opinion. I know I'm harsh about this sort of stuff, but thats just me on this topic. It's all good, no hard feelings to any of you. I have been in this guys shoes, but what I see from him and many others these days is he is giving up.

#21 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:40 PM

We must commend you for your own efforts to gain a foothold and prosper on your own merit. I would say (without knowing many of the facts of others) that many of us did this as well. From eating peanut butter sandwiches for lunch and a pot of canned beans or a few potatoes for dinner-every other day- some of us have been there...
I was in 1995 a product of my own success - I literally worked myself out of a job that I had worked up from the bottom over 18 years and made 6 figures at the end and was cast off with out so much as a good bye...
I then lost another job in 2000 as the company closed - but I had started my own biz near the end- .

Him stating he had worked for the company for 16 years is in no way irrevalant to the article as it shows that he worked hard and the company supported him for that time and then dumped him when they closed...

I would agree that he feels entitled to the unemployment and food stamps while he continues to look for work-- would you refuse them - even though you pay for them in each paycheck that you get ?

I did not see anywhere in the article where he said he has given up looking for viable work suitable to his families needs - do you ?

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#22 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE (asbestoshills @ Feb 2 2010, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do not judge this family until you have lived their situation. They have a special-needs child and that is usally a lot of money out of pocket for things that insurance doesn't cover. Also, they could have been a victim of the over-inflated housing crises that bailed out Wall St. but forgot about Main St. Why is everyone so angry at this father? It could easily be you. Maybe they don't have family and used all of their 401K savings trying to pay their over-inflated mortgage? Did you ever think of that? Maybe the mom stays home b/c when he made close to $100,000 (which isn't that much here) b/c she wanted to take care of her special needs child. Also, he was a STABLE employee for 16 years-isn't that worth something? You guys are too much.

I have no pity for anyone who bought a house and is dumping it because they made bad decisions. That is their own fault.

#23 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 02 February 2010 - 03:38 PM

QUOTE (chris v @ Feb 2 2010, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have been in this guys shoes, but what I see from him and many others these days is he is giving up.

You've been laid off of work after 10-15 years with a company?

#24 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE (The Dude @ Feb 2 2010, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No company has ever been that nice to me. I get laid off after 7 years max. Although statistically, my employer is more likely to close its doors after 2 years.

Perhaps it was the long duration that led to the complacency Chris is claiming.
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#25 the_professor

the_professor

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:22 PM

QUOTE (chris v @ Feb 2 2010, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because he is full of it, and contradicts himself. He says he's a lot less particular about what he does, yet he's still losing his house. If I were in that position, I'd be working 3 fast food jobs before I let some bank take my house from me. Thats just me though. I just hate when people say they don't care what type of job it is but then turn around and wait for the perfect job.

3 fast food jobs will cover your mortgage?

#26 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:46 PM

QUOTE (The Dude @ Feb 2 2010, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was refering to the foreclosure thing...

QUOTE (the_professor @ Feb 2 2010, 07:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
3 fast food jobs will cover your mortgage?

Yep.

#27 joeedh

joeedh

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 02:40 PM

I'm sick and tired of the stupid envy thing. Guess what, it's not everyone else's fault if they managed to work hard and make a substantial income, and you didn't.

If you read the story's comments, one of the family members posts that they drained their savings *and* their 401k *before* going on food stamps, because of their children's medical costs.

And chris v, if you worked *80* hours a week at an effective $10 an hour (meaning 12 or 13 an hour) you'd make 3200 a month. Guess what, genius? That's probably a couple thousand dollars less then they'd need. Don't blame others for your problems, and for gods sake, cut out this crap of "it's immoral if you didn't have to go through what I did".

I've suffered extreme levels of hardship, disability, and discrimination like you would never believe. I've had to fight with very little hope for five years, and guess what? I've become an experience software developer from investing time in an open-source project for those five years, and I'm now at the point where I don't expect to have much trouble finding work when I finish up what I'm doing there. I worked my arse off doing things I weren't even sure would pay off, but I had no other hope, and to be amazement, it has.

Edited by joeedh, 24 February 2010 - 02:52 PM.

#28 joeedh

joeedh

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 02:51 PM

And most importantly for those of you who are constantly jealous and obnoxious of anyone whose had an easier time then you in life: I don't hate others who had advantages I did not. Nor do I hate the discrimination I've faced; society simply doesn't understand that it's possible to be utterly yet "invisibly" disabled and have no control over your health, *but appear completely healthy*. People treated me badly because in most cases, they didn't know better, and often times were even trying to encourage me to do better. In the vast majority of cases I end up forgiving people.

Yet, somehow Chris V, you feel the need to demonfy this man, simply because you don't like the fact that he made money and lived in a nice home, which makes you assume he never saved and spent all his cash.

Oh yes, let us not forget spending. Did you know our economy is 70% consumer spending? Did you know that we import ~$800 billion more then we export? And that when that happens, it has a deflationary effect that is naturally compensated by people massively borrowing? (economists have known this for centuries, it was a lot more obvious when the world was on the gold standard).

If everyone in the country aggressively saved right now, we'd be facing a massive depression, as our economy simply cannot handle it (so basically it would have to fundamentally change before it could grow again). Mercifully extreme savers don't quite take up 100% of the population. So while going overboard on borrowing is definitely very unwise, you can't blame it for the current state of the economy when a) the economy was fundamentally funked up, b) it's impossible to stop so long as we keep importing too much, and so long as the dollar is so strong (remember weak dollars == cheaper u.s. products in the EU, japan, etc).

#29 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE (Deb B @ Feb 2 2010, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OR he's making the point that he worked hard and was loyal to his company, which up and left him in the lurch. It's his way of letting readers know he hasn't been a slacker.

Loyalty and hard work used to count towards a good career among other things like continuous improvement\education, high performance etc however loyalty gets you jack squat. Loyalty and a project that seemed to have high value but is low hanging fruit to upper mgmt forced to make cuts you are on the street.

#30 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:26 AM

Ditto evader! One of the main reasons people come to this country is for the quality of life. You don't have to work like a slave and under slave conditions, you can own a home, you can have some dignity and opportunity etc...Nowadays, b/c we have let too many into this country we have high unemployment and are bringing in more poor people than we can absorb. When I was down south last month, there were only adults working at jobs only teens would do in this area. Scary! Fast food restaurants only had adults working in them. The economy is really bad if the jobs that teens once held are held by adults.
I think if the people who are so mad about the guy from EDHs would travel to different first world countries they would see that there aren't homeless people everywhere like here and job security is a reality and not a rare occurence.
Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users