#31 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:12 AM

QUOTE (rlsliger @ Apr 13 2009, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was thinking the same thing. It seems like the post was just intended to bait others.

I saw nothing wrong with that post. A sensitive issue like this is going to draw some strong opinions.

With as many posts as Billz has it's not a surprise to see some of them get hacked, it's just the odds. But to delete that one-timer post because he whined about it doesn't seem right either. I didn't think it was a baitong post all.
...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#32 Folsomdad

Folsomdad

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:19 AM

What a sad day for all involved. We should all be thankful for what we have, give our loved ones a hug and try to make our little corner of the world a little better.

#33 forumreader

forumreader

Living Legend

• Registered Members
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:28 AM

Drooling Darryl's post has been slightly edited.

Darryl is entitled to his opinion, however, we ask that he try to be civil. Since he is a first time poster, he has no track record. Right now, his post does resemble a bait....We'll have to wait and see.

I do not share Darryl's view. However, we should all realize that the FPD will receive criticism similar to Darryl's. I'd imagine that law enforecement professionals are trained to expect and respond appropriately to such criticism.

This is a tragedy for both the family of the deceased as well as the FPD.

#34 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:30 AM

For the record, I didn't make the edits, but agree with forumreaders moderation.

Also for the record, I think Folsom PD does a fine job. I've had nothing but good experiences with them and truly believe they are doing their best for the betterment of our community.

This is a horrible tragedy for all involved, but I'm confident the police only did what they had to. I'm even more confident that the review process the PD follows will uncover mistakes made, if any, and correct actions taken.

"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#35 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:36 AM

QUOTE (bookwom @ Apr 13 2009, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sigh... apparently my faith was misplaced.

What was said that was sooooo bad?

Seems a little ridiculous to get upset already--over this thread.

Everyone on this thread is being respectful.

My only hope is that the police truly justified in the actions they felt were necessary, and I hope the family came come to terms with this.

It is a sad day, when we lose a young man in our community, in such a way.

There really isn't enough information in the news for anyone to jump to conclusions about the circumstances surrounding the death of this person.

May he and his family find peace.

#36 Orangetj

Orangetj

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE (Drooling Darryl @ Apr 13 2009, 11:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
was several shots to the chest necessary for a man with only a knife? If these guys had any training in real crimes, or knew what they were doing, then they would have used one of countless other techniques that doesnt involve ending a mentally disturbed mans life.. Would Sac PD have had this problem?
(EDITED)

Only a knife? Have you ever seen images of the damage that can be done by a knife weilding attacker in a matter of seconds? The danger of a knife should not be understated.

#37 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE (Orangetj @ Apr 13 2009, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Only a knife? Have you ever seen images of the damage that can be done by a knife weilding attacker in a matter of seconds? The danger of a knife should not be understated.

That's the point I was trying to make. These officers were in danger.

#38 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:29 PM

QUOTE (Drooling Darryl @ Apr 13 2009, 11:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What a tragedy.. (EDITED).. These guys are seasoned experts at breaking up high school parties and chasing kids smoking weed in the park, but any time a real crime seems to happen in this town, "folsoms finest" seems to make them self look more bumbling, incompetent, and in this case, overzealous and trigger happy.. These guys wanted to feel important and pretend theyre on tv, and one persons life is over and an entire familys life is ruined.. Asking for assistance in diffusing a domestic situation and blowing away a 23 year old that locked himself in his room im a big difference.. These officers should be put jail for a long time.. was several shots to the chest necessary for a man with only a knife? If these guys had any training in real crimes, or knew what they were doing, then they would have used one of countless other techniques that doesnt involve ending a mentally disturbed mans life.. Would Sac PD have had this problem?
(EDITED)

If you stopped frothing with police hatred for a moment and educated yourself, you'd know that if it's battle between knife and gun at short distances, knife actually has the upper hand.

Here's an example: http://cibertrix.sma...B68B1B3F24F8FFB

#39 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:30 PM

This is a sad and tragic situation for all involved. I have full trust that the officers involved did what they needed to do in the situation unless an investigation proves otherwise. I was not there and cannot judge officers who felt the threat of someone who was hallucinating, not responding to tasers, and was wielding an 8-inch knife.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#40 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:40 PM

I think speculating what could have happened/should have happened is totally wrong. None of us were there... let's keep speculation to a minimum and stick to the facts as they are reported. Tragic for the family and the officers.

Darryl, welcome to the forums but your first entries look an awful lot like trolling, which we are trying to keep to a minimum. Your first amendment rights are not violated as this is a privately owned website.

#41 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:02 PM

QUOTE (Drooling Darryl @ Apr 13 2009, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you for the insightful information about the dangers of knives.. As someone who has worked in security for several years, and have been personally been attacked with a knife and had nothing more than my fists and pepper spray to protect myself with, i clearly and throughly understand the dangers of knives.. However, Officers are instructed to use as little force as neccessary in situations like these.. Swat should have been dispatched, and a negotiator or someone who knew what they were doing should have been called in to calm the man down.. While shooting the man may have been the more exciting and convientient way to handle the situation for these "officers with 35+ years experience", .. Mortally wounding this man shouldnt have been their method to diffuse the situation.. The information (or lack thereof) despite the fact that there were an entire family of witnesses witnesses is disturbing to me.. You may choose to take folsom pd at their word, but as someone who has been a resident of folsom for 14 years and knows better, I choose not..

No offense, but I really don't think you have any idea about the things you're arguing. I would love to hear about your experiences as a 14 year Folsom resident that compel you to believe the local police preferred to kill this man rather than subdue him.

#42 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:04 PM

Thank you for the insightful information about the dangers of knives.. As someone who has worked in security for several years, and have been personally been attacked with a knife and had nothing more than my fists and pepper spray to protect myself with, i clearly and throughly understand the dangers of knives.. However, Officers are instructed to use as little force as neccessary in situations like these.. Swat should have been dispatched, and a negotiator or someone who knew what they were doing should have been called in to calm the man down.. While shooting the man may have been the more exciting and convientient way to handle the situation for these "officers with 35+ years experience", .. Mortally wounding this man shouldnt have been their method to diffuse the situation.. The information (or lack thereof) despite the fact that there were an entire family of witnesses witnesses is disturbing to me.. You may choose to take folsom pd at their word, but as someone who has been a resident of folsom for 14 years and knows better, I choose not..

Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda. Speculation is one thing, putting yourself there at the receiving end of a knife is a different story. Hmm 14 years here and you say you "know better" about the Folsom PD, been on the receiving end much? That might help us understand why you hate the FPD so much.

#43 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:14 PM

When you were attacked by a knife, did you use the pepper spray or did you use as little force as necessary as per your security training?

#44 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:17 PM

Jeez--this is going no where---

Let the guy have his opinion and move on.

#45 FolsomBarb

FolsomBarb

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:18 PM

Swat should have been dispatched, and a negotiator or someone who knew what they were doing should have been called in to calm the man down..

Right. Because the first thing I think of when I hear the word "Swat" is calmness.

It sounds like you wouldn't be happy unless the Folsom PD had encouraged the fellow to come out, sit around the campfire and sing Kumbaya with them...

From what little I've heard of this incident, it didn't sound like a hostage situation, and that's what Swat is usually called in for. I'm not sure they would come out for "one guy with a knife".....

Just my $.02
I assume full responsibility for my actions, except the ones that are someone else's fault.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users