264 replies to this topic

#256 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:18 PM

Just to point out, the rationale for sending our soldiers to Africa is to protect Americans--not to do charity work.

The rationale is this: the world is so interconnected now that the bigger the outbreak grows in Africa, the more certain it is that multiple cases will pop up in the U.S. Even if we were to ban visitors from Africa, it could be, say, a French doctor who flew home and then flew here on vacation or a family member of such a person or ... the possibilities are really endless. It is just a numbers game, because people travel around so much nowadays.

So... stemming the outbreak in Africa is the best way to protect America long-term. --I do agree with this. I'm not sure, however, if our soldiers have the training and expertise to do this work and keep safe.

#257 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:36 PM

Just to point out, the rationale for sending our soldiers to Africa is to protect Americans--not to do charity work.

The rationale is this: the world is so interconnected now that the bigger the outbreak grows in Africa, the more certain it is that multiple cases will pop up in the U.S. Even if we were to ban visitors from Africa, it could be, say, a French doctor who flew home and then flew here on vacation or a family member of such a person or ... the possibilities are really endless. It is just a numbers game, because people travel around so much nowadays.

So... stemming the outbreak in Africa is the best way to protect America long-term. --I do agree with this. I'm not sure, however, if our soldiers have the training and expertise to do this work and keep safe.

Actually, the rationale was not to protect americans but to protect contractors who were awarded large contracts to build temporary hospitals.

It came down to money.

#258 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:39 AM

Quote about the nurse in Maine who took a bike ride today and was harrassed by Media due to a state mandated quarantine:

"This is just fear. It's kind of understandable, but unfortunately it's just stirred up and caused by fear-mongering politicians who see poll-driven numbers in anticipation of Tuesday's election," Cohen told CNN after Hickox' outing. “This is strictly driven by politics and fear-mongering.”

"~Medical professionals say Ebola is difficult to catch and is spread through direct contact with bodily fluids from an infected person and is not transmitted by asymptomatic people. Ebola is not airborne.

Siegel also criticized Maine Governor Paul LePage for stoking fear of Ebola rather than using his bully pulpit to educate the public about the disease.~"

http://www.reuters.c...N0II1SP20141030

#259 Judge Smails

Judge Smails

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:57 PM

Wait until they start putting our soldiers in FEMA camps to "watch" them after they return, that will be interesting.

I'm surprised it took so long for the mythical FEMA camps to be brought up.

#260 Judge Smails

Judge Smails

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:00 PM

Our soldiers had no buisness being there to begin with. Completely outside the scope of the intended purpose of having a National Guard. i seriously wish the President could be sued for stupid acts like this.

It's kind of like invading and occupying a sovereign nation.

#261 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 02:14 PM

http://www.bbc.com/n...canada-29858689

Really frustrating that the source of information on this disease is so differing as to believe possibly disengenuous when you see articles like this one. The tables of information in the same article lead someone to think they don't agree.

Has 1 person or 9 died -in the US- from Ebola?  Rather clever the  way the table was set up.

Ok, I know the answer because I pay attention to the news- but this type of journalism can be either fear mongering or down right criminal to cause so much mis information. 

pfft...

#262 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 04:58 PM

a woman who was being monitored in portland, oregon after trying to one of the ebola countries has just been hospitalized with sustained fever

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#263 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 05:30 PM

http://www.bbc.com/n...canada-29858689

Really frustrating that the source of information on this disease is so differing as to believe possibly disengenuous when you see articles like this one. The tables of information in the same article lead someone to think they don't agree.

Has 1 person or 9 died -in the US- from Ebola?  Rather clever the  way the table was set up.

Ok, I know the answer because I pay attention to the news- but this type of journalism can be either fear mongering or down right criminal to cause so much mis information. 

pfft...

I have no idea how you could read 9 deaths in the US from that chart. It says 1!

#264 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 01:00 PM

hey check this out some guy is now telling people that Ebola is a hoax, being used as a scar tactic.

I cant access the video from where Im at. 

But you can google wareAware1, and see this junk. Unbelievable. People are dying and this guy says its just a hoax. How sick can someone get?

#265 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:52 AM

http://www.webmd.com...patient-liberia

The outbreak is not quite over- but considering how bad the healthcare, nutrition, and housing issues are in that area-- I am amazed that less than 10k people died.

They really got lucky this time. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users