5 replies to this topic

#1 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:32 PM

The White House has a form for you to voice your opinion which agencies to reform/eliminate and a place to add commentary.

Go here:   https://www.whitehou...ive-branch#page

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#2 Who_Do_You_Trust

Who_Do_You_Trust

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:28 PM

Joe - IMO this is a juvenile and absurd approach to "reorganization and size reduction" of the government, for these reasons:

- No explanation is provided as to responsibilities of these departments and functions.  For example, no one will know what the Delta Regional Authority is or does.  Just because its name isn't very descriptive doesn't automatically qualify it for elimination.  Who knows?  This group may be responsible for preventing Delta Airlines from beating up their customers, an important function.

- Some of the operations mentioned can't be eliminated because it would require an amendment to the Constitution.  For example, this asks if the US Mint should be eliminated.  Since the Constitution specifically discusses the minting of coinage, an amendment would be required to dump it, and we know that is never going to happen.

The concept of this is interesting, and probably good.  but the execution sucks.

BTW, shouldn't this topic be in the politics section?

#3 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:44 AM

Man, you sure complain a lot on this forum.

Hell, someone could cure cancer, and you'd say, "why didn't you do it sooner?".

Your glass always half empty, eh??   :noway:

#4 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 06:31 PM

Man, you sure complain a lot on this forum.

Hell, someone could cure cancer, and you'd say, "why didn't you do it sooner?".

Your glass always half empty, eh??   :noway:

Aces, he does not see your posts because he can't handle you....   Me neither....!   We are "blocked" or ignored or whatever......   He's in his liberal, progressive safe room.  He's a total libtard for sure........!    Conservative or alternate opinions are not allowed in Who do's universe.........!   Actually a badge of honor, you and me....!   He can't handle us....!   Way to go brother....!    Chris

1A - 2A = -1A

#5 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 07:33 PM

I was trying to keep it apolitical, that's why it wasn't in the politics section. More an FYI type of thing. Sadly, some view everything through a partisan lens.

Your points are well taken, but I like that at least there is a reach out to the populace. Have you ever tried getting a sit down meeting to discuss things face to face with your representative?  I can't even get a form letter response.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#6 Who_Do_You_Trust

Who_Do_You_Trust

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:18 PM

Joe - Since I've been here (8 months), I've received a couple form letters from Ami Berra asking for my input on several issues.  they were like bingo cards where you check off a few boxes and drop it in the mail.  I marked them up and sent them back.  Haven't heard any feedback (holding my breath, tho)  At least he picked up the postage both ways.   Also,  I've sent emails to both Calif senators and have received somewhat personal responses (likely written by an aide).  It took 6-8 weeks to hear back, but at least they're trying.  Our neighbor and his wife took a trip to Washington last summer and he told me they made an appointment with Mr. Berra, and actually got about 15 minutes across a desk with him in his office.

I think it's good that gov't officials are looking for input from voters.  Now if they would only act on that input.  Washington is filled with competing interests and I fear the will of the people doesn't always get top billing.

And finally,  I've been around a while (70 yrs) and discovered a long time ago that most people looking for advice are actually looking for an accomplice.  My cynical half thinks the White House opinion line might be the same.  Wish I was wrong.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users