Last Two Capital Nursery Stores, To Close

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

Oh MY - my favorite Nursery with the best selections and the best staff is closing !

Sale starts soon for liquidation :(

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/11/14/4986181/last-two-capital-nursery-stores.html

By Bill Lindelof
blindelof@sacbee.com

Published: Wednesday, Nov. 14, 2012 - 12:23 pm

The final two Capital Nursery stores in Citrus Heights and Elk Grove will close, the company announced today.
The closures come two months after the closure of the 76-year-old retail company's flagship store on Freeport Boulevard in Sacramento.
The demise of the two stores in Citrus Heights and Elk Grove is the result of slow winter sales and customers looking for price over service, said a store official. Also entering into the decision to close was a serious offer made on the 6-acre Sunrise Boulevard property.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.co...l#storylink=cpy

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.co...l#storylink=cpy

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#2 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:57 PM

That stinks. When I lived in Land Park the Freeport store was my home away from home. Admittedly, I go to the Citrus Heights store less often. Capital Nursey is head and shoulders above anyone else, Green Acres especially. :(

#3 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

I would have to say Capital WAS better than the rest, but not any more and not for the last three years. Very sad.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#4 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

I would have to say Capital WAS better than the rest, but not any more and not for the last three years. Very sad.

Who are the REST that you mention as being better now ? Green Acres is surely not one of them... although they are a nice place to shop but variety and knowlege is lacking

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#5 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:08 PM

I always used to get my winter and summer vegetable starts from Capital Nursery, but about three years ago, their plants looked wimpy, came in late and lacked variety. I ended up starting to go to Green Acres and up to Auburn. The last two years, Capital's selection was way way down and the quality was awful. At the same time, Green Acres and my out of towners was improving. What you say about the knowledge is absolutely true though. Capital Nursery had very knowledgeable staff. However, in the last five to six years, that staff became increasingly less helpful (at least at Sunrise) and was either too busy to track down, too busy to help, or just seemed completely unconcerned about your issue. Of course, you go there to get information and buy their products, but they seemed apathetic at best. Green Acres staff STILL don't know jack about plants and pests, but I can forgive them because they do have a good selection of starts (bedding plants). I still end up going to Auburn to get those hard to find things though. Or to Red Barn in Davis for the really really hard to find things.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#6 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:14 PM

Having visited Capital on Sunrise for the very first time only a few months ago, I can't say I'm surprised. It may have been nice once. Bad selection of wilted plants, the patio furniture for sale was dry rotting, the stock on the shelves was in faded boxes and priced to sit.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users