MSgt

Living Legend

• 3,405 posts
  • Interests:Camping
    Reading
    Fishing
    Read and discuss about spiritual matters

Posted 22 November 2011 - 05:44 PM

My Son-In-Law sent me a link to Strava. I have been using it about a week or so and am having a blast. I guess it is like a facebook for cyclist's and runners. What I like best is the ability to create segments (sections of a ride) for further comparison with yourself and others.
I even created a segment of one of my favorite sections. I don't know anyone but my Son-In-Law that is on Strava.

It has already helped me. When I approach some of the "segments" others have created on Lake Natoma Loop, i push harder to see if I can ride faster than the last time I rode the segment. I am close to the bottom of most of the segments. It is fun to see if I can raise my standing.

#2 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:13 PM

My Son-In-Law sent me a link to Strava. I have been using it about a week or so and am having a blast. I guess it is like a facebook for cyclist's and runners. What I like best is the ability to create segments (sections of a ride) for further comparison with yourself and others.
I even created a segment of one of my favorite sections. I don't know anyone but my Son-In-Law that is on Strava.

It has already helped me. When I approach some of the "segments" others have created on Lake Natoma Loop, i push harder to see if I can ride faster than the last time I rode the segment. I am close to the bottom of most of the segments. It is fun to see if I can raise my standing.

That's neat. Some of the best cardio I've done has been trying to beat a prior time around the lake. Can you check yourself over a given segment in real time or do you compare after you get home?
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#3 grovetribe

grovetribe

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Cycling (Road, Mountain Bike, Cyclocross), Sci-Fi, surviving parenthood.

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:39 AM

I have been using Strava; awesome app! Though I have forced myself to not use it as much this past month and a half. This is my off season so I am not supposed to ride more easy rides. I can't do easier rides while logging on Strava because I get too competitive.

Chris Grove

#4 MSgt

MSgt

Living Legend

• 3,405 posts
    Reading
    Fishing

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:52 AM

That's neat. Some of the best cardio I've done has been trying to beat a prior time around the lake. Can you check yourself over a given segment in real time or do you compare after you get home?

I decide what segment(s) I am going to push through prior to my ride. I could look at my bike computer (I have a Garmin Edge 500) as I increase my effort. I haven't tried it. Someone has set up a segment on the S. Canal called "Trench Run - Westbound that I was going to ride today. It is 3.4 miles. I could monitor my mph as I ride it, but I don't know the actual results until I get home. Most of the segments are shorter (like a hill, or the flat run on the N. side of Lake Natoma close to Negro Bar) and "real time" monitoring would be difficult. If you have an iphone or android you could use their free app and you would probably know the results immediately, I don't know.

It is good for me because as a novice I can set up goals. Last week I competed against myself on two segments. Got home and found out I had a PR in three segments and my fastest time around Lake Natoma this year. I do better with bits and pieces, and it seems to affect my overall.

I have not been consistent in my riding and weight loss. I am very heavy but riding now more than I ever have and am watching what I eat but seem to be stuck at a weight (two weeks no weight loss). I averaged 84 miles per week in Nov, 50 miles in Oct).. That is very high for me. I am hoping I can keep it up. Not really sure what I am doing, but at least I am out there again. I was hoping some of you were using Strava and could "follow me" giving me some encouragement along the way. I really want to be at a healthy weight and in shape.

#5 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:11 PM

Trench Run! Someone is a Star Wars fan.

I'll look into it. I'm finally able again to do some exercise but I've been lax about getting organized.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

#6 MSgt

MSgt

Living Legend

• 3,405 posts
    Reading
    Fishing

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:14 PM

Darth,
PM me your email address so I can invite you to Strava. If I decide on a premium membership in the future I will get a month free, Right now I have the free subscription

#7 JMB83

JMB83

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:14 PM

very addicting.

it has made solo rides alot more interesting for me... riding routes where I can attack segments in pursuit of being faster than friends, or even earning the KOM :cheer:

although with it's growing popularity, I see lots of silly, super short segments being created (e.g. 100 yards of dirt from Mormon Island Dam to the gate). Oh well, people are using it and having fun.

#8 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:11 PM

I see lots of silly, super short segments being created (e.g. 100 yards of dirt from Mormon Island Dam to the gate). Oh well, people are using it and having fun.

It's not always about working out, sometimes it's about racing.

I still get lost on the Willow Creek corridor and you can see that in my ride... heh.

Chris and JMB, do you have user names to follow? How do I find you?

#9 grovetribe

grovetribe

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Cycling (Road, Mountain Bike, Cyclocross), Sci-Fi, surviving parenthood.

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:32 AM

It's not always about working out, sometimes it's about racing.

I still get lost on the Willow Creek corridor and you can see that in my ride... heh.

Chris and JMB, do you have user names to follow? How do I find you?

Under Explore->Athlete Search you should be able to type in "Chris Grove" and see me listed. I am the one in Folsom. I guess I need to start logging again. I think I mentioned before that I had slowed on logging because I needed some time to recover from the virtual competition.

Chris Grove

#10 MSgt

MSgt

Living Legend

• 3,405 posts
    Reading
    Fishing

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:28 AM

Under Explore->Athlete Search you should be able to type in "Chris Grove" and see me listed. I am the one in Folsom. I guess I need to start logging again. I think I mentioned before that I had slowed on logging because I needed some time to recover from the virtual competition.

Chris, do you know a guy named Rob who works at Body Concepts? I went in and talked to him the other day for some advice. He was a great guy and gave me a lot of good information about setting up my own riding schedule as a novice. He explained why I was feeling all shaky and weak. I haven't been allowing myself an rest week of less miles and less strenuous rides. The weather is taking care of that this week.

#11 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:32 AM

please don't race on the bike trail. :)
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#12 MSgt

MSgt

Living Legend

• 3,405 posts
    Reading
    Fishing

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:04 AM

I noticed that my Strava profile indicates biggest climb as 288, even though I uploaded a ride yesterday where the climb was over 1200ft. Any ideas? Do I have something set up wrong?

#13 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:15 PM

I'm unsubscribing after all. I don't think I'm going to ever use it.

#14 olivia

olivia

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:24 PM

Just started using it over the past several weeks. Don't get to many varied rides but like to see how I can improve on various segments.

#15 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:10 PM

I've started again if anyone is still paying attention.  Going slow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users