• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Oldschooler81

Oldschooler81

Lived in Orangevale from 1991-1996.

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:Music and movies (especially anything '80s), computers, thrift shopping, talking and hanging out with people, writing, geography, mini golf, etc. Anything from the past interests me too, of course!

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:13 AM

Anyone else a fan? I always liked these, and it's another one of those things that takes me right back to when I lived in the area. I still have alot of them on tape. In a way it was like a really early version of today's reality tv.

I got into Real Stories first, around 1993. Basically they had four segments, most was like a better version of Cops (i.e. with aftermaths), and the one I liked most was the reenactment of a more serious offense, with narration.

Top Cops was a good one too, probably the most intense and movielike. Real officers narrated their own stories over the reenactments (either 1 long or 2 shorter ones per episiode).

Go figure, Cops is the only one still on, and I think it's the most boring one. I wish the old school ones were still in reruns on Spike channel or something.

#2 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:52 AM

i'd be thinking it would be about production costs and probably the sophistication of the audience. the Higway Patrol and Top Cops were real stories about good endings or bravery

Cops on the other hand is about following street cops with a video camera and hearing them yell at minor criminals. somebody told me once that the criminals they yell at get paid as well to show their faces on TV otherwise the show has to blank out the face

the old audience gets a much of a kick out of Cops as they did the good stories you like

hey with the video camera angle they might have a show "dancing with the bad guys" or maybe "crooks can sing"

#3 Oldschooler81

Oldschooler81

Lived in Orangevale from 1991-1996.

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:Music and movies (especially anything '80s), computers, thrift shopping, talking and hanging out with people, writing, geography, mini golf, etc. Anything from the past interests me too, of course!

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:14 AM

LOL good points, soldier. In a way Cops is like today's reality tv, and you're right it's probably much cheaper to produce. The big bidget ones haven't even been in reruns since 1997 at the latest.

From what I can tell Cops only shot in major cities too. I'm sure they wouldn't risk people's safety if they were dealing with real felons. I've wondered how much is genuine too, since many criminals wouldn't consent to being filmed!

#4 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:07 PM

QUOTE (old soldier @ Feb 15 2010, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cops on the other hand is about following street cops with a video camera and hearing them yell at minor criminals. somebody told me once that the criminals they yell at get paid as well to show their faces on TV otherwise the show has to blank out the face

They have to get a waiver, at least. (This is true all kinds of ways... we get a waiver from kids at 20-30 events so we can publish pictures. Since it's TV I don't doubt people get paid to sign. Why else would you sign?
hey with the video camera angle they might have a show "dancing with the bad guys" or maybe "crooks can sing"

I'd watch that.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#5 DustyDog

DustyDog

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:44 PM

These shows werent too bad. Cops got old so fast for me. I preferred the others you mentioned. I am not a fan of the reality shows at all. The sooner this fad ends the better entertainment will be. The story moves so slow. But I think it does show what a real detective does all day. Phone calls. Trying to convince someone to "flip' on their partner, or confess. Not at all like what we saw in the TV shows or movies.
<i></i>There is only one thing that man should take seriously, and that is nothing should be taken too seriously. -Samuel Butler

#6 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:00 AM

QUOTE (Darth Lefty @ Feb 15 2010, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They have to get a waiver, at least. (This is true all kinds of ways... we get a waiver from kids at 20-30 events so we can publish pictures. Since it's TV I don't doubt people get paid to sign. Why else would you sign?

I'd watch that.

how about next year, american idol has a round in all the prison systems. the winners like in pelican bay could do their gig via satalite but the winners in minimum security could come to the big show....they could wear their prison uniforms

if it took off folks could buy their own prison clothing line to support their candidate like they do with football jerseys.

and if it goes they could have a correction officer division as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users