19 replies to this topic

#16 April

April

Netizen

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 12:23 AM

Terry, you sound like you approve of this low-income housing they want to build.
Are you on the list to move into one? :0) (I'll bet you are!)

I think that at this time, no further building should take place until the city of Folsom improves the sewer system, builds more roads to re-route traffic and settle the water issues so it is assured we will have enough for those who are already living here, and getting a big property tax bill every year.
I fail to see how the city can build all these houses, when they can't even handle the troubles we have now.
Oh, they announced the sewer system was now ready for "Moderate Rains" in the Folsom Life Newspaper. What happens if we have more than moderate rains? Are the tax payers to endure more sewer spills and large fines?

I think some forget, that as home owners, we have spent a lot of money to get into these houses and in fact, have invested in the city of Folsom.
The city has enjoyed a very large increase in it's tax base because of all the new houses going in. But now it's time to pause, and see to the problems with services they have promised us and not jump ahead and throw these low-income houses just anywhere handy, just because they are running out of time.

They must be expecting some sort of trouble, as they now have hired 6 lawyers for the city. And with our tax dollars, I might add.
Flying really loose and fast with our tax dollars, those city council members, don't ya think?
Are you one of those lawyers, Terry? It sure sounds like you know a lot about that low-income housing law!

And, if you think that earlier developing of the properties being considered for the low-income houses, would prevent them from going in, you are sadly mistaken. If that had happened, the city of Folsom would start buying private properties to do it. Even if it meant putting some of the current residents out in the street! I think that is actually happening to one poor family right now.

Many people have moved out of California because of it being so expensive and because of the bad government. These aren't all the low income families either.
I know of one family that are friends of ours who moved to Nevada, from the Bay Area.
They had an annual income of $400,000! If you add up all the taxes we have lost to people moving out, it's clear it has put a dent in our State Tax base, which is in sad shape already.
California has sort of messed in it's nest!

Gee, maybe it's time for a federal investigation into our lovely little city council. I'd say they better watch it, if they know what's good for them.
It wouldn't be the first time a local government was busted for corruption.

#17 Folsomite

Folsomite

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 26 November 2002 - 12:25 PM

I'm a bit concerned over what is happening here, what seems to be happening is this -

whether or not the city counts it towards low-income housing, the city is going to sell the land anyway and it's still going to be duplexes in there.

This includes the so-called "undevelopable" land that Mayor Starsky assures us nobody can develop on... I personally think there is no such thing as "undevelopable" land - people can push land wherever they want - on top of water, hills, ditches, whatever.

My point though is that the city appears ready to push this thing through, after it made everyone happy that it is not zoned R-4. Doesn't matter, they're going to build it anyway.

Please be there tonigh, make yourself heard, DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN!!!
The first step to getting the things you want out of life is this: Decide what you want.

Ben Stein

#18 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 26 November 2002 - 01:39 PM

Sorry, April, I have my $500,000.00 home thank you, and it's within 2 blocks of what you would probably consider "affordable housing". My previous home was also within 2 blocks of what you would consider a probably questionable area of town. Impact to me - negligible. Everyone starts somewhere - some, like most of us worked as teenagers and moved into entry level full-time jobs soon after college, and probably lived in "affordable housing" for at least part of our early adulthood. Others, like a few in Folsom, started out in a "moneyed" environment and therefore moved directly from luxurious homes, to high-end apartments or even directly into mansions. I don't know any of these people, but by the tone of many of the posts here, there is a large number of people who have never lived in low-income or even affordable housing.

And no, I'm not an attorney, not employed by the City, have no interest than being Folsom-born.

Sounds as though it's just a matter of time before a lot of you are so unhappy being here that you'll move on to what you believe will be better communities. Best of luck to you on your move. We'll stay here and enjoy the community.

By the way April - when you use the word "it's" it designates the two words "it is". The word "its" without the apostrophe is used to designed possessive pronoun which is the form you should have used when your said ".....its tax base.....". Sorry, this is a pet peeve of mine.

#19 April

April

Netizen

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 26 November 2002 - 10:40 PM

Yes, Teach! ha! ha! Thanks!

I knew that, but don't always apply it.

What are you anyway, a proof reader? ha! ha!

#20 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 09:23 AM

Yeah, Terry. I share your pet peeve. People so frequently mix up it's and its (even well educated folks). Its such a pain! joker.gif
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users