Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 01:38 PM

Plane makes emergency landing on Calif. highway

Saturday, February 13, 2010

(02-13) 13:09 PST El Dorado Hills, Calif. (AP) --

A small plane made an emergency landing on a highway east of Sacramento, hitting a vehicle.

The California Highway Patrol says both the pilot and driver escaped injury.

The landing closed westbound lanes of Highway 50 in the Sierra Nevada foothills about 30 miles east of Sacramento.

The highway patrol says the plane lost power as the pilot headed toward the Cameron Park Airport, forcing him to land on the highway Saturday morning.

The highway was reopened to traffic after the plane and damaged vehicle were removed.

___

Information from: KCRA-TV

Kimberly Purcell
Productivity Consultant - Amethyst Productivity

#2 SunshineServices

SunshineServices

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 03:03 PM

Wasn't my in-laws, can't have the Mini just yet............
When The Power Of Love Overcomes The Love Of Power The World Will Know Peace.

Jimi Hendrix

#3 Malamute

Malamute

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE (ChefRaven @ Feb 13 2010, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Plane makes emergency landing on Calif. highway

Saturday, February 13, 2010

(02-13) 13:09 PST El Dorado Hills, Calif. (AP) --

A small plane made an emergency landing on a highway east of Sacramento, hitting a vehicle.

The California Highway Patrol says both the pilot and driver escaped injury.

The landing closed westbound lanes of Highway 50 in the Sierra Nevada foothills about 30 miles east of Sacramento.

The highway patrol says the plane lost power as the pilot headed toward the Cameron Park Airport, forcing him to land on the highway Saturday morning.

The highway was reopened to traffic after the plane and damaged vehicle were removed.

___

Information from: KCRA-TV

Glad they survived, 8 years or so ago, my human's bosses boss wasn't so lucky attempting the same kind of emergency landing near the same place. My master's bosses boss had just left the Cameron Park airport when he experienced engine failure. Unfortunately, he crashed kinda hard and the whole thing burst into flames. He likely died upon impact and didn't suffer.
"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either."
- Unknown

"Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies."
- Gene Hill

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."
- Unknown

"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace."
- Milan Kundera

#4 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 05:57 PM

We noticed a plane sputtering around lunchtime, maybe it was the same plane.

#5 s0479

s0479

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE (john @ Feb 13 2010, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We noticed a plane sputtering around lunchtime, maybe it was the same plane.

I was going east on 50 not to long after it happened...saw the horrible traffic and cop car lights first, was then amazed to see that it was a plane involved! I'm glad I was going east and not west at that time!!

#6 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:33 AM

could the person flying the plane get a ticket for causing the accident, and perhaps reckless flying or would the traffic laws just apply to vehicles

#7 curiousity

curiousity

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:08 AM

QUOTE (old soldier @ Feb 14 2010, 09:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
could the person flying the plane get a ticket for causing the accident, and perhaps reckless flying or would the traffic laws just apply to vehicles

I would guess traffic laws don't apply, but the FAA investigation will likely determine if this was a justifiable emergency crash landing or if the pilot needs to be punished.

#8 irish1

irish1

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:46 PM

From what I recall in my edumacation years... the idea, planning, designing and construction of the coast-to-coast (border to border) U.S. Highway system, under then U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower, included that the highways be built in such a fashion that would allow for aircraft to land on the highways in cases of individual (incident) or national emergencies.

During the construction of the system, one of the requirements was that for every so many miles of highway built, a certain portion of it had to be - fairly flat and straight, with clearings on both sides of the highways (wings) for certain distances, which would facilitate the landing and take-off of a certain class of fairly large aircraft.

With that in mind, and the fact that the pilot in this incident had lost power to his engine, he (she) did what they had to do, in hopes of surviving. I'm glad everyone (car and plane), was without injury. I can't imagine any ticket being issued to any of the involved.

#9 Malamute

Malamute

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE (irish1 @ Feb 14 2010, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From what I recall in my edumacation years... the idea, planning, designing and construction of the coast-to-coast (border to border) U.S. Highway system, under then U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower, included that the highways be built in such a fashion that would allow for aircraft to land on the highways in cases of individual (incident) or national emergencies.

During the construction of the system, one of the requirements was that for every so many miles of highway built, a certain portion of it had to be - fairly flat and straight, with clearings on both sides of the highways (wings) for certain distances, which would facilitate the landing and take-off of a certain class of fairly large aircraft.

With that in mind, and the fact that the pilot in this incident had lost power to his engine, he (she) did what they had to do, in hopes of surviving. I'm glad everyone (car and plane), was without injury. I can't imagine any ticket being issued to any of the involved.

That is likely true, but I know the FAA investigates all crashes. As airplanes have strict maintenance requirements to insure "flyability/airworthiness" unlike cars which some owners drive vehicles probably unsafe for highway use, they may hold the pilot accountable if his maintenance records aren't up to date. But you are correct, one of the purposes of the Interstate system is to provide alternate landing locations for aircraft when needed. Kinda like how "what's his name" used the Hudson River.
"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either."
- Unknown

"Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies."
- Gene Hill

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."
- Unknown

"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace."
- Milan Kundera

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users