76 replies to this topic

#1 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 31 August 2009 - 01:08 PM

The Sacramento CASA program is in need of many, many more volunteers. Social workers are overloaded and these court appointed advocates help ensure that children in the system get the services and support they need.

Prospective volunteers must attend an orientation, at which time an application will be provided. The next orientation will be held Sept. 17, 6 pm, 301 Bicentennial Circle, Suite 220, Sacramento. Call 875-6460 to see if they still have spaces for this orientation.

From http://www.sacrament....org/volunteer/ :

The CASA Vision

Every abused or neglected child in Sacramento County who needs an advocate has one.

The CASA Mission

Our volunteers are the eyes and ears of the court, advocating on a one-to-one basis for the best interest of children in the Sacramento County foster care system.

What is CASA?

We believe that all children have the right to a home with loving people to care for them. But each year in the United States, children are abused, neglected or abandoned by their families. They are removed from their homes and placed in foster care or institutions. Eventually, they end up in court. Their only "crime" is that they have been victims. It is up to the judge to decide their future.

Should they remain in foster care? Be reunited with parents? Or be adopted? In these cases, many children also become victims a second time, lost in an overburdened child welfare system that cannot pay close attention to each child whose life is in its hands.

That's where CASA comes in. CASA volunteers are Court Appointed Special Advocates for children - trained community volunteers appointed by a judge as Officers of the court to speak up for children in juvenile court, and to help to humanize the often frightening and confusing child welfare and legal systems for these children.

What We Do

124,000 of California's children are in foster care because they have been abused, neglected, or abandoned. In many cases these children become victims a second time -- in an overburdened child welfare system that cannot pay close attention to each child whose life is in its hands.

The volunteer gets to know the child and then lets the judge and others in the child welfare system know the child's perspective and the child's needs.

Volunteer Information

CASA's children need you to be a child's voice in court! Become a Special Advocate in your community.

Your local CASA program will tell you: how to learn more; when to apply; how you will be screened to assure this is the right volunteer job for you; how you will be trained for this powerful and important role; and how big a time commitment you will need to make.

Although it varies from CASA program to CASA program, usually being a Special Advocate means devoting about twelve to twenty hours a month for at least a year. The initial training class is between 30 and 40 hours long. Screening includes an application, written references, interviews, and a criminal background check. And it's worth it... to make a difference in the life of a child.

Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASAs) are trained volunteer community members who are appointed by a judge to advocate, on a one-to-one basis, for a child who has been removed from home due to abuse, neglect, or abandonment.

The volunteer gets to know the child and then lets the judge and others in the child welfare system know the child's perspective and the child's needs.

Training

Advocates must attend training including:

* A one hour orientation
* A juvenile dependency court observation
* Criminal History clearance
* An interview process

30-35 hours of in-classroom training covering:

* Advocacy and the Law
* Awareness
* Court Process/Monthly and Court Reports
* Sexual Abuse and the Developing Child
* Learning/Behavior Disorders
* Substance Abuse
* The Social Workers Role
* Cultural Awareness
* The Role of the Attorney
* Mock Case Assignment
* Survival as an Advocate

In general, trainings last for about 5 weeks, 2 nights per week, from 6 to 9:00 p.m. They are held in June, October and February each year. There are at least 4 orientation sessions held prior to each training where interested parties can learn more about the program, sign up for an interview and pick-up an application. Training classes and dates are subject to change.

Contact Us

Saramento CASA Program, Inc.
P.O. Box 278383
Sacramento, CA 95827-8383
(916) 875-6460
(916) 875-6879 fax
info@sacramentocasa.org
or go to our Feedback Page.

If you are interested in becoming a Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) or would like to learn more about our program, please contact us!
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#2 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 31 August 2009 - 01:16 PM

This is an extremely worthwhile program and I only wish I could make the time commitment.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#3 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 31 August 2009 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE (Darth Lefty @ Aug 31 2009, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is an extremely worthwhile program and I only wish I could make the time commitment.

Yes it is. I've thought about it for a few years, but wasn't in a position to volunteer. Now I have the time. If I remember correctly Sacramento CASA only has 100 - 150 volunteers in any given year -- very, very low numbers with 124,000 children in the system. They also accept financial donations, which fund the administrative aspects of the program.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#4 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE (Darth Lefty @ Aug 31 2009, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I concur, sounds like something I might consider once my son is out on his own and I am retired from full-time work.

Deb, if you volunteer, would you mind letting us know what your experiences are like?
Do you feel at the end of the day, that you actually made a difference?
or does it seem like the machine just grinds on doing what it does and all your efforts to help the system help the children are in vain?
I would rather be Backpacking

#5 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Aug 31 2009, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I concur, sounds like something I might consider once my son is out on his own and I am retired from full-time work.

Deb, if you volunteer, would you mind letting us know what your experiences are like?
Do you feel at the end of the day, that you actually made a difference?
or does it seem like the machine just grinds on doing what it does and all your efforts to help the system help the children are in vain?

I'd be happy to share my personal experiences -- assuming they find me fit to serve! smile.gif In the mean time, here are some documented benefits of the CASA program....

How CASAs benefit Children

The benefits that a CASA volunteer provides a
foster child have been well documented. A recent
audit conducted by the US Department of Justice
Office of the Inspector General demonstrates that
once a CASA volunteer is assigned, approximately:

· 95% of children do not languish in long-term
foster care.

· 90% of children do not reenter the child
welfare system.

Children with a CASA volunteer are substantially less likely to
spend time in long-term foster care, defined as more than 3
years in care: 13.3% for CASA cases versus 27.0% of all children
in foster care.

When a CASA volunteer was involved, both children and their
parents were ordered by the courts to receive more services. The
audit concluded that this was an indication that “CASA is effective
in identifying the needs of children and parents.”

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#6 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 02:54 PM

QUOTE (Deb B @ Aug 31 2009, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd be happy to share my personal experiences -- assuming they find me fit to serve! smile.gif In the mean time, here are some documented benefits of the CASA program....

How CASAs benefit Children

The benefits that a CASA volunteer provides a
foster child have been well documented. A recent
audit conducted by the US Department of Justice
Office of the Inspector General demonstrates that
once a CASA volunteer is assigned, approximately:

· 95% of children do not languish in long-term
foster care.

· 90% of children do not reenter the child
welfare system.

Children with a CASA volunteer are substantially less likely to
spend time in long-term foster care, defined as more than 3
years in care: 13.3% for CASA cases versus 27.0% of all children
in foster care.

When a CASA volunteer was involved, both children and their
parents were ordered by the courts to receive more services. The
audit concluded that this was an indication that “CASA is effective
in identifying the needs of children and parents.”

That's good to hear. I hope you qualify for the position.

#7 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:00 PM

Wow, Deb

I am impressed.

#8 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:10 PM

QUOTE (supermom @ Aug 31 2009, 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, Deb

I am impressed.

I hope you know I'm not posting about this to impress anyone. I would love to drum up more interest to beef up the volunteer pool. Having raised two children who had extracurricular activities I know it's not something everyone has time for. Maybe people who don't have time right now would consider making a donation. I cringe when I hear stories about the needs of foster children going unmet, but I can't blame the social workers who are overburdened. This just sounds like a great program.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#9 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE (Deb B @ Aug 31 2009, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope you know I'm not posting about this to impress anyone. I would love to drum up more interest to beef up the volunteer pool. Having raised two children who had extracurricular activities I know it's not something everyone has time for. Maybe people who don't have time right now would consider making a donation. I cringe when I hear stories about the needs of foster children going unmet, but I can't blame the social workers who are overburdened. This just sounds like a great program.

Lol--I really did mean it.

#10 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 01:55 PM

An update on the process. I attended an orientation last week. The purpose of the 45-minute meeting was to make sure interested parties understood the CASA program and the responsibilities of a CASA, including a one-year commitment to a child. The issue of confidentiality was stressed; as a CASA you cannot talk with anyone (even your spouse) about your assigned child. However, some couples or friends volunteer as a team and they are allowed to discuss the case since they are both appointed by the court to be involved in the life of that child.

The children who are referred to CASAs are children in the foster system who have been identified as needing an advocate for medical, educational, emotional, etc. issues. Children who exhibit violent behavior and/or are in gangs are not referred to CASAs; they are referred for other services/programs as needed.

The next step is an interview. A completed application, one-page autobiography, and list of references is submitted at this interview. CASA applicants also donate $67, which is used to conduct a background check, DMV check, and Live-Scan Fingerprinting check. (An additional $12 donation is requested for the cost of processing fingerprints the first night of training.)

After the interview, assuming I am selected to participate, I will be assigned to a training program. One begins in September; if those spots are filled I will have to wait for the February training session.

There were roughly 22 people at the orientation, but only two of them were men. Men are desperately needed by the program as some boys will only relate well or will relate better with men.

That's about it for now. I'll update again when I know more.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#11 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE (Deb B @ Sep 21 2009, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
An update on the process. I attended an orientation last week.

<snip>

There were roughly 22 people at the orientation, but only two of them were men. Men are desperately needed by the program as some boys will only relate well or will relate better with men.

That's about it for now. I'll update again when I know more.

Thanks for the update. Hopefully someyear when I have more time, I'll be able to qualify.

#12 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:58 PM

I was interviewed last Tuesday for the CASA program, at which point I submitted my application (four pages of answers to questions and a one-page autobiography). I've been away for a few days and returned to letter inviting me to participate in the CASA training program. I'm looking forward to the experience. They were already full for the training that started last week, so I'll have to wait until February's training starts.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#13 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:24 AM

Sacramento CASA is holding an orientation on Feb. 10. They are always in need of volunteers, especially men. For further information, contact Kathy:

Kathy@sacramentocasa.org
(916) 875-6460

I start my volunteer training next week. I'm really looking forward to this.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#14 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:34 AM

QUOTE (Deb B @ Jan 29 2010, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sacramento CASA is holding an orientation on Feb. 10. They are always in need of volunteers, especially men. For further information, contact Kathy:

Kathy@sacramentocasa.org
(916) 875-6460

I start my volunteer training next week. I'm really looking forward to this.

Cool beans!

#15 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:22 AM

I attended the first training meeting last night. We met most of the CASA staff, reviewed a binder of information, discussed speakers and topics to come, and introduced ourselves. I was very impressed with the other trainees, who come from all walks of life. Some are retired and are looking for something meaningful to do, some are in college and already have a yearning for giving back to their community, many are employed, and some are still raising children. I was also very impressed with the staff, some of whom started as CASAs.

The time commitment once assigned a child is typically between 10 - 20 hours per month. If you are curious about the program, please don't hesitate to contact Kathy, ask questions, and/or sign up for the Feb. 10 orientation.

Kathy@sacramentocasa.org
(916) 875-6460

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users