21 replies to this topic

#1 Class 4

Class 4

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:51 PM

I understand the residents of Valley Pines want to make it a gated community. It seems they can't get the street repaved (there's grass growing in the cracks). So they want to make it a private community. That's the only way they can eliminate the ARC traffic that drives through their community every day when they drop their kids off at Sundahl.

#2 Parizienne

Parizienne

My Folsom Honeybee

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Interests:History, gardening, reading, antiquing, road trips, road food, the Blues, classic rock, travel.

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:10 PM

Really? I know they have resurfaced the roads in Valley Pines within the last two years. Is resurfacing not working? We live a bit north of there in Hannaford Cross. They just resurfaced our roads this past week. Maybe they are making the rounds again.

Are they taking issue with the roads or the traffic?

Pari

QUOTE(Class 4 @ May 27 2008, 09:51 PM) View Post
I understand the residents of Valley Pines want to make it a gated community. It seems they can't get the street repaved (there's grass growing in the cracks). So they want to make it a private community. That's the only way they can eliminate the ARC traffic that drives through their community every day when they drop their kids off at Sundahl.

Pari

#3 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:59 AM

That's ridiculous. The only ones who would want to gate that street are the people who live on the small cross street at the back entrance to the school. They already have signs there not allowing parking or drop offs at the schools back gate.

What next?

The folks over at inwood going to make that a gated community, too?

#4 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 12:43 PM

Folsom had a time period where they were rejecting all bids for gating in communities. I don't think this has changed. I don't think the service providers (fire, police) like them. I sure as heck hope that if the city blocks off public streets from public traffic that they also refuse to support them with a dime of taxpayer money.
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#5 Browser

Browser

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE(supermom @ May 28 2008, 06:59 AM) View Post
That's ridiculous. The only ones who would want to gate that street are the people who live on the small cross street at the back entrance to the school. They already have signs there not allowing parking or drop offs at the schools back gate.

What next?

The folks over at inwood going to make that a gated community, too?

Most of us in Hannaford Cross would love to be gated!! It's very scary to watch motorist cut through here to take their kids to school! Most do over the speed limit...

#6 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 30 May 2008 - 06:01 AM

This is silly, everyone knows that trees in the valley are hardwood, the pines go on the slopes.

(The last town I lived is called Ridgecrest and is at the bottom of a valley tongue.gif )
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#7 lisasellshouses

lisasellshouses

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 07:59 AM

Wow, It is pretty sad when the day has come, that people cant drive thru a neighborhood to take their kids to school....Geez, these people moved by a school...what did they think would happen when it is time for kids to get to school?

Some may be close enough to walk, but Sundahl services the entire area on this side of the river....

they want them to drive out to folsom auburn and then make a left on inwood....folsom auburn is a much more dangerous and well traveled road...

QUOTE(Class 4 @ May 27 2008, 09:51 PM) View Post

y
Lisa Gerber
VP of Cheer
Folsom Jr Bulldogs
www.folsomjrbulldogs.com

#8 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE(lisasellshouses @ May 30 2008, 08:59 AM) View Post
Wow, It is pretty sad when the day has come, that people cant drive thru a neighborhood to take their kids to school....Geez, these people moved by a school...what did they think would happen when it is time for kids to get to school?

Some may be close enough to walk, but Sundahl services the entire area on this side of the river....

they want them to drive out to folsom auburn and then make a left on inwood....folsom auburn is a much more dangerous and well traveled road...
y

Actually Valley Pines was there LONG before Sundahl School. You must be a short-timer, huh?

#9 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE(Terry @ May 30 2008, 01:59 PM) View Post
Actually Valley Pines was there LONG before Sundahl School. You must be a short-timer, huh?

The main point of that being that their own kids are all grown up, so they don't want to accommodate others who are daring to use their streets to transport small-sized citizens.
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#10 lisasellshouses

lisasellshouses

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE(Terry @ May 30 2008, 01:59 PM) View Post

Most of the homes built in Valley Pines were built 1979 to 1983.. Hanaford Cross, is more recent....

.Carl H. Sundahl Elementary School has served students residing on the northwest side of the American River in Folsom since September 1987.

But lets face it...Folsom is a great community and we still have some of the best resale values and home prices in our region...why?...one factor is our awesome schools....

I moved here in 2001 because of the schools and plan on being here for a very long time...

Did you know that Granite Bay is closing 2 of their elementary schools next year due to low numbers.....families can not afford to buy in those areas....and this limits a cities growth...

I can understand when people dont want commercial properies being built next door and drive thru traffic...but we need our schools in our community...if you want peace and quiet and no traffic...move to the foothills.and the boonies...

Lisa Gerber
VP of Cheer
Folsom Jr Bulldogs
www.folsomjrbulldogs.com

#11 Good2bme

Good2bme

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:15 PM

I'd wager that people don't necessarily have a problem with people driving through to drop their kids of at school. The concern is probably more directly related to the fact that the vast majority of drivers have decided that 40 mph or so is a perfectly reasonable speed to drive through neighborhoods. When you end up with a few hundred people a day driving by your house at speeds more appropriate to Madison Avenue or Folsom Blvd, you tend to get tired of it.

#12 lisasellshouses

lisasellshouses

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 11:58 PM

QUOTE(Good2bme @ May 30 2008, 09:15 PM) View Post
I'd wager that people don't necessarily have a problem with people driving through to drop their kids of at school. The concern is probably more directly related to the fact that the vast majority of drivers have decided that 40 mph or so is a perfectly reasonable speed to drive through neighborhoods. When you end up with a few hundred people a day driving by your house at speeds more appropriate to Madison Avenue or Folsom Blvd, you tend to get tired of it.

I agree with your point.....we all need to slow down on our residential streets....the area where I live, does not have sidewalks. We are close to the bike trail on the ARC side with lots of walkers with and without dogs, bike riders ect. Cars just travel too fast....
Lisa Gerber
VP of Cheer
Folsom Jr Bulldogs
www.folsomjrbulldogs.com

#13 Parizienne

Parizienne

My Folsom Honeybee

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Interests:History, gardening, reading, antiquing, road trips, road food, the Blues, classic rock, travel.

Posted 31 May 2008 - 02:46 PM

I might be wrong about this, but I think we're not gated in Hannaford Cross is because we have two public parks in this neighborhood. If we were gated, the public couldn't access them.

Welcome to MyFolsom.com, Browser. I know of two others besides myself who post from our neighborhood. Yay!

It would be nice if people would slow down. My son almost got mowed down on Lakeside near Hannaford park when a huge yellow hummer when screaming by. And then there's that dude in the Lamborghini ( sp?).

Sometimes, I'll confess, I forget to look at my speedomoter when I am coming in from F-A road. I don't think I've gone faster than 30, and that's rare. When I catch myself, it's because when I pass the park, I feel the speed, so I slow down.

But -- what Valley Pines areas would they like to gate? I don't see it happening, but... stranger things have happened.

Pari

Pari.

QUOTE(lisasellshouses @ May 31 2008, 12:58 AM) View Post
I agree with your point.....we all need to slow down on our residential streets....the area where I live, does not have sidewalks. We are close to the bike trail on the ARC side with lots of walkers with and without dogs, bike riders ect. Cars just travel too fast....

Pari

#14 Orangetj

Orangetj

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE(Parizienne @ May 31 2008, 03:46 PM) View Post
And then there's that dude in the Lamborghini ( sp?).

Is it a yellow Lamborghini? If so, it's probably the same guy who flies past our house in EDH every so often. Apparently, that thing has only two speeds - stop and crazy fast! My kids call it the "race car" when they hear him coming and then see him flash by.

#15 Parizienne

Parizienne

My Folsom Honeybee

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 08:38 PM

I think the one I saw was black. It's been a while, so I don't remember. I am pretty sure it wasn't yellow. The Hummer that nearly mowed down my son while he was on his bike down the street was yellow, though. Maybe people who drive yellow vehicles are a little nuts. Or maybe driving yellow vehicles breeds nutty risktaking? Who knows. They all need to slllllow down.

QUOTE(Orangetj @ Jun 5 2008, 05:08 PM) View Post
Is it a yellow Lamborghini? If so, it's probably the same guy who flies past our house in EDH every so often. Apparently, that thing has only two speeds - stop and crazy fast! My kids call it the "race car" when they hear him coming and then see him flash by.

Pari

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users