9 replies to this topic

#1 Toadster

Toadster

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:56 PM

went for a walk tonight and there was a lot of commotion at Castle Park - a police car, truck and ambulance - and about a dozen teenagers sitting in the grass...

what's up?

#2 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:04 AM

QUOTE (Toadster @ May 15 2010, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
went for a walk tonight and there was a lot of commotion at Castle Park - a police car, truck and ambulance - and about a dozen teenagers sitting in the grass...

what's up?

Looks like the end of the school year is near. Where is poster PATHFINDER and his friends who are fine with hanging out at the parks until midnight because they have no where else to go?

My kids go to Oak Chan and I always cruise thru the parking lot on my way home just to see who is hanging out in the parking lot and I often see 2-3 cars of punk teens doing nothing or something. There have been more incidents of vandalism this year than I can recall at Oak Chan. Broken windows, tagging, ruining new landscaping. May be tame in respect to South Sac but it still sucks for my kids to see this type of thing.

I fear the day when we wake up to see Castle Park vandalized or burned to the ground by some "bored rich teens" who have nothing to do during the Summer.

#3 iMax

iMax

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:13 AM

[quote name='nomad' date='May 16 2010, 01:04 AM' post='384345']
Looks like the end of the school year is near. Where is poster PATHFINDER and his friends who are fine with hanging out at the parks until midnight because they have no where else to go?

Nothing good will ever come from kids being there after hours. The neighbors are meeting today, then we'll meet with the police department to discuss how to combat the problem. It wasn't until they began issuing citations for $100, that things settled down a bit. Obviously, this is a drop in the bucket to some Folsom kids or parents. The biggest problem isn't the kids, it's the parents who like PF, believe it's perfectly OK for kids to be in the park after hours. The letter of the law or common courtesy don't seem to apply in their minds.
If you do have to die, may you all pass away like my grandfather did, in his sleep...not screaming in terror like his passengers.

#4 legofamily

legofamily

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Interests:Reading
    Hiking
    Photography
    Sports
    Science

Posted 23 May 2010 - 02:55 PM

I also worry about Castle Park being badly damaged. As someone who lives near there and has a young child that likes to play at the park, I hope the vandalism stops. Not long ago I was driving home at night and saw a bunch of teenagers hanging out at Oak Chan after dark. Hopefully they were not vandalizing/damaging the school.

#5 PathFinder

PathFinder

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE (nomad @ May 16 2010, 01:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My kids go to Oak Chan and I always cruise thru the parking lot on my way home just to see who is hanging out in the parking lot and I often see 2-3 cars of punk teens doing nothing or something. There have been more incidents of vandalism this year than I can recall at Oak Chan. Broken windows, tagging, ruining new landscaping. May be tame in respect to South Sac but it still sucks for my kids to see this type of thing.

I fear the day when we wake up to see Castle Park vandalized or burned to the ground by some "bored rich teens" who have nothing to do during the Summer.

Hey I'm glad you missed me Nomad! Well I'm back, but still you people contort my beliefs thinking i find it okay that kids vandalize and start riots in the park! Answer me this: exactly how many times do you have to call the police for rowdy individuals at the park?
PathFinder!

#6 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:02 PM

QUOTE (PathFinder @ Jun 4 2010, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey I'm glad you missed me Nomad! Well I'm back, but still you people contort my beliefs thinking i find it okay that kids vandalize and start riots in the park! Answer me this: exactly how many times do you have to call the police for rowdy individuals at the park?

well the park has already been vandalized, more than once.

The biggest slide is now long gone, rings are missing from the monkey swing crossing.

I know the tire swing was gone for awhile but has since been replaced. Another contraption I never understood is now removed and gone.

Exactly how many times does the park have to be vandalized before you realize "young punks in the park at night are usually up to no good".
I would rather be Backpacking

#7 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:16 PM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Jun 4 2010, 01:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well the park has laready been vandalized, more than once.

The biggest slide is now long gone, rings are missing from the monkey swing crossing.

I know the tire swing was gone for awhile but has since been replaced. Another contraption I never understood is now removed and gone.

Exactly how many times does the park have to be vandalized before you realize "young punks in the park at night are usually up to no good".

I'm sure Pathfinder's friends are the good kids and there is a mysterious bunch of thugs who show up just after they leave and create all the havoc and destruction.

Ask Legofamily about the park and how many times the cops are called. The Pathfinder position on this subject is absurd at best.

#8 legofamily

legofamily

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Interests:Reading
    Hiking
    Photography
    Sports
    Science

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:54 PM

I don't actually know how many times the cops have been called, but I would assume quite a lot. Took my daughter to Cohn park across from Oak Chan and it has been tagged with graffiti in a couple of spots. My daughter noticed it right away. It is sad when I have to keep explaining to her that some people just don't treat the parks respectfully. sad.gif

#9 doj_gal

doj_gal

MyFolsom's Back at it Kid!

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:49 AM

Parents need to find an outlet for these teens. I am not saying buy them crap, like other posters have suggested, is the main problem with these kids. I am saying get out of the house and spend some quality developing your children.

My parents always had us volunteering, working or doing something recreational that we just didn't have time for all that non-sense. We always got up early during the summer, did our chores, then we were off for a day at the lake, zoo, ocean, museum, park, public pool....pretty much any place or anywhere fun that was inexpensive. When we got older (teens) we started doing it by ourselves and still continued to do it with our parents. I was always working for extra $$$, something with ROTC, volunteering or playing sports. My parents still do fun adventures with us to this day and now we take our children along.

I just don't get why people have children when they want very little to do with them. Plenty of my associates (not friends) will leave their children at daycare and call in sick (want to do something w/o their kids). I know children can be a burden. Everything is much harder to do with my son but I try to include him every chance I get. I am not saying I do not have free time or that my hubby and I do not take alone time, we do. I am just suggesting that how are these teens supposed to know how to occupy their time if no-one has ever given them direction? If you are more concerned with your own free time (gym time, golf game or lunch with the girls) then why bring a child in this world? Why would you leave your child at day care when you can spend quality time with them? It's bad enough working parents see their children an average of two hours a night during the work week and much of that time is comprised of dinner, bath and bedtime rituals.

Again, I am not suggesting that you cannot have a life outside your children, but as a full time working parent with a stay at home Dad for our son. I try to spend every moment I can and build him into a responsible child/adult. Now, that doesn't guarantee he will always make the best choices and I know there will be times when he makes mistakes. You cannot constantly ignore/ship off your children/teens somewhere....anywhere....and expect them to do what is right or what you would expect. This is the biggest issue with children. Parents more concerned with things(aka crap) to make them happy and time spent alone. Parents need to be teaching their children life's expectations and not leave that to their children's peers.

My cousin (which I am sad to claim) is a prime example of this. She will find anyone to take care of her son, has two jobs and goes to school just to get away from her son. My cousin has valued her failed relationships and marriage more than her own child. AND for the last 3 years has taken up a ridiculous hobby of female body building that requires her to be in the gym 4ish hours a day. My nephew is crying out in the only way he knows how...BAD BEHAVIOR...at every place he is dropped off at. He has realized that if he acts poorly...my caretaker will call and Mom comes back to pick me up. He has tried to pull that behavior at my parent's house but my parents realize what he's attempting to do. They know my cousin is not interested in the slightest in parenting her son and it makes me sick to watch her interact (yell) at her son. There is no love, affection, care or compassion. It looks like she's talking to or hugging a murderer. She has let her dysfunctional relationship with his father taint how she interacts and loves her own child. So, my parents take him as much as possible because they know he will be loved and taken care of both physically and emotionally, while at their house. This is the extreme of course but this happens a lot. Parents of these children are making broken homes and have dreams that do not involve their kids. It sickens me and enough is enough. People need to realize that although money puts food on the plates of your family members, it doesn't need to buy them all the gadgets anf fluff of the world...because that crap will not give them your devotion, which is what they truly need.

#10 GCM

GCM

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:09 AM

it's great when these kids get caught and all by FPD but we should prevent and deter the damage, not just wish it away. My son plays at that park and I played there when it was first built, with a painted tile and all. We need to enact a real neighborhood watch in lexington hills, i'm sick of these rich kid wannabe gangsters, Wouldn't it be nice watching the park discretely on a shift of REAL neighborhood watch and taking action before they vandalized it? We were all teenagers once and a lot of teens, especially guys, think they're invincible at that age, because either they don't get caught or not enough action is being taken. I see the Neighborhood watch signs around on the light poles but I think it is all a façade. Anybody with me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users