3 replies to this topic

#1 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:45 AM

WOW, what a gun...

U.S. Navy to test futuristic, super-fast gun at sea in 2016

The U.S. Navy is planning sea trials for a weapon that can fire a low-cost, 23-pound (10-kg) projectile at seven times the speed of sound using electromagnetic energy, a "Star Wars" technology that will make enemies think twice, the Navy's research chief said.

Rear Admiral Matthew Klunder, the chief of Naval Research, told a round table group recently the futuristic electromagnetic rail gun had already undergone extensive testing on land and would be mounted on the USNS Millinocket, a high-speed vessel, for sea trials beginning in 2016.

// go to //

http://news.yahoo.co...ector.html?vp=1

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#2 Carl G

Carl G

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:16 AM

Secret?  I've been reading about that for years and have been fascinated with the technology.  I wonder what the speed of the projectile would be after reaching its 100 mile target.

#3 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:50 AM

It's a nice gun but it's not going to replace missiles - at least not the big expensive ones that cost millions.  They go a thousand miles and are guided right up to the target.  If this has a future it's likely in the same regime as RAM, Stinger, Phalanx, and 5" deck guns, which are not exactly driving the budget.  I wonder what happened to the multiple-bullets-in-multiple-barrels gun that was being promoted a few years ago.

"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#4 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:23 AM

as long as it doesn't hurt marine life, go for it. 

if it deafens or kills marine life, I'm against it.

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users