Photo
- - - - -

Pg&e To Build A Gas Monitoring Station On Leidesdorff St?

PG&E Bridge St. Gas Utility Trucks Leidesdorff noise

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ConcernedHDResident

ConcernedHDResident

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 04:15 PM

PG&E is threatening to build a substation in the historic district at the corner of Bridge and Leidesdorff St.  They are threatening to use eminent domain to take the land, and as a public utility are not required to follow historic district design guidelines to build any structures.  Those of us who live here chose the area for it's charm which is now at risk. 

This will bring heavy construction traffic and trucks in the short term, and an unsightly utility facility in our quaint historic neighborhood. I can't imagine that this will enhance the vibe of the neighborhood or help property values.  I fear ugly walls and grafitti, and seeing ugly equpiment. 

#2 sunnyCA

sunnyCA

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 04:52 PM

Can they just take any land they want?  Or does the city just have to give them some useable land? Surely we could find something NOT in the historic district...

#3 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 05:34 PM

Is it the land to the left of the trail entrance?  Are they taking private land, a home, or is that city land?

What exactly does the gas monitoring station do and how big will it be?

#4 ConcernedHDResident

ConcernedHDResident

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 06:59 PM

The land they want to take is owned by a neighbor who want to build a home on that site.  It is vacant and is along the bike trail at the corner of Bridge and Leidesdorff. 

PG&E has gone silent which I don't think is a good sign.  if you look up "gas pigging Milpitas" you will see a VERY UGLY station that was built in a commercial area.  I have no idea if or how the HD community can influence thier design to follow the HD design guidleines that we must follow.   I would like to see a pigging station in a residential neighborhood to see what we are dealing with.

#5 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 07:54 PM

The land they want to take is owned by a neighbor who want to build a home on that site.  It is vacant and is along the bike trail at the corner of Bridge and Leidesdorff. 

PG&E has gone silent which I don't think is a good sign.  if you look up "gas pigging Milpitas" you will see a VERY UGLY station that was built in a commercial area.  I have no idea if or how the HD community can influence thier design to follow the HD design guidleines that we must follow.   I would like to see a pigging station in a residential neighborhood to see what we are dealing with.

I understand your concern.  And welcome to myfolsom, by the way.  I tried looking that up, but couldn't find images.  I did see something about PG&E introducing what they call a Smart Pig, a tool they use to inspect and make sure pipelines are safe.  It doesn't sound like a permanent thing.  Is this a fixed station?  

#6 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 08:13 PM

that area is right in the heart of the historic residential area.  And really close to houses, like directly across the street.  can't they find some place else on the other side of the river?  it would be out of the historic district and in a less residential area.  if they are talking about using eminent domain, that means a permanent take, not a temporary use. 

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#7 mrdavex

mrdavex

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 08:58 PM

I understand your concern.  And welcome to myfolsom, by the way.  I tried looking that up, but couldn't find images.  I did see something about PG&E introducing what they call a Smart Pig, a tool they use to inspect and make sure pipelines are safe.  It doesn't sound like a permanent thing.  Is this a fixed station?  

A PIG "Pipeline Inspection Gauge" is a device that travels through a pipeline for cleaning and/or inspection.  The simplest of PIGs is just a brush, but a smart one contains sensors and electronics to detect leaks or pipe wall defects, and tell the exact location.  A fictional PIG is can be seen in Diamonds are Forever, which is that welding machine in the pipe where the thugs buried James Bond.  A PIG travels between 2 points: a launch station and a trap station.  Those stations look something like this: http://www.energyind...ne pig trap.jpg

Per PG&E's pipeline map (http://www.pge.com/e...ines/index.page) a underground gas main runs right through the Leidesdorff and Bridge St intersection.  I don't know the size of this main, but I think it it is smaller than the one running through Milpitas.  That is a major natural gas line that serves SF and the entire Peninsula, and would require a much bigger PIG launcher.  It also serves the 30" pipeline that exploded in San Bruno in 2010. 

--
"Let's just hope Comcast doesn't own any tanks."
-Robert X. Cringely

#8 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 09:04 PM

A PIG "Pipeline Inspection Gauge" is a device that travels through a pipeline for cleaning and/or inspection.  The simplest of PIGs is just a brush, but a smart one contains sensors and electronics to detect leaks or pipe wall defects, and tell the exact location.  A fictional PIG is can be seen in Diamonds are Forever, which is that welding machine in the pipe where the thugs buried James Bond.  A PIG travels between 2 points: a launch station and a trap station.  Those stations look something like this: http://www.energyind...ne pig trap.jpg

Per PG&E's pipeline map (http://www.pge.com/e...ines/index.page) a underground gas main runs right through the Leidesdorff and Bridge St intersection.  I don't know the size of this main, but I think it it is smaller than the one running through Milpitas.  That is a major natural gas line that serves SF and the entire Peninsula, and would require a much bigger PIG launcher.  It also serves the 30" pipeline that exploded in San Bruno in 2010. 

Thank you for the explanation, especially liked the James Bond tie-in.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PG&E, Bridge St., Gas, Utility, Trucks, Leidesdorff, noise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users