19 replies to this topic

#1 M.E.G.

M.E.G.

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:54 PM

Just got a call from my daughter, she says Galleria being evacuated. Too many people, due to a bunch of singers in the Promenade. No more shopping tonight. I am guessing too many people knew about the flash mob.

M.E.G.

Mechelle Reasoner (formerly Gooch)

Movin'...So You Can!

Morris Williams Realty

Call or txt: 916 955-8698,

Email me

Read my blog, search for homes, find out more about Folsom at FolsomCorner.com

#2 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:29 AM

Just got a call from my daughter, she says Galleria being evacuated. Too many people, due to a bunch of singers in the Promenade. No more shopping tonight. I am guessing too many people knew about the flash mob.

M.E.G.

Best made plans of mice & men.

From what the news said last night, these guys had no idea that by letting the word out, and the viral mindset from youtube viewers, they truly created a mob scene. i.e. expected a couple hudred, got 5 thousand.

I expect, malls and stuff will now make new rules against people trying to repeat this kind of event. Christmas Caroling is supposed to be an unplanned event for the target audience, these guys broke that unwritten rule and paid the consequences. Shut down before they even started.
Nice thing to do to a mall already hurting from lost revenue caused by a mad bomber.
I would rather be Backpacking

#3 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:01 AM

I think credit should be given to the authorities for evacuating and possibly preventing a Kansas City Hyatt Regency type of incident from occuring. I'm sure people were disappointed, but better that than people getting hurt or worse.

#4 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:25 AM

I missed this news - I would have thought drawing a big crowd to a shopping mall would be good free PR for the mall? - what happened?

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#5 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:36 AM

I missed this news - I would have thought drawing a big crowd to a shopping mall would be good free PR for the mall? - what happened?

Too many people showed up and they thought the second floor was going to collapse. Then just before the "event" the police got everybody out of there.

The mgmt of this mall and the Roseville PD need to have a serious look at how they operate.

And this Flash Mob thing is just stupid. It's supposed to be a spontanues event but this one was ADVERTISED on the Tomato Page Forums! DUH no wonder ot got way more response.

#6 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:45 AM

Too many people showed up and they thought the second floor was going to collapse. Then just before the "event" the police got everybody out of there.

The mgmt of this mall and the Roseville PD need to have a serious look at how they operate.

And this Flash Mob thing is just stupid. It's supposed to be a spontanues event but this one was ADVERTISED on the Tomato Page Forums! DUH no wonder ot got way more response.

Oh damn!, yeah the second floor collapsing would be really bad....

I agree about the advertising of the flash mob, kinda changed the spontaneous part and it obviously attracted far too many people to the event

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#7 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:49 AM

I think credit should be given to the authorities for evacuating and possibly preventing a Kansas City Hyatt Regency type of incident from occuring. I'm sure people were disappointed, but better that than people getting hurt or worse.

Absolutely, and news footage showed one of the main organizers standing up in the middle telling everyone to leave and go home. later footage showed him outside in the parking lot, leading the singers in song where it was safe to do so.

#8 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:05 AM

the problem was it was over-promoted... unfortunately flashmobs are more mainstream and well known now. This event was pretty well known by lots of people beforehand; it should have been more secretive. However the catch-22... if it's too secretive, maybe not many will show up!

#9 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:08 AM

And this Flash Mob thing is just stupid. It's supposed to be a spontaneous event but this one was ADVERTISED on the Tomato Page Forums! DUH no wonder to got way more response.

Reminds me of "reality" TV, as if there's anything REAL about it!

the problem was it was over-promoted... unfortunately flashmobs are more mainstream and well known now. This event was pretty well known by lots of people beforehand; it should have been more secretive. However the catch-22... if it's too secretive, maybe not many will show up!

That's just silly. These types of events draw people in from other parts of malls. While there isn't initially a crowd, it doesn't take much to draw one -- of a sensible size.

How does one capture the look of wonder, surprise and awe in the faces of spectators when those spectators know in advance the flash mob is going to happen?
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#10 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 11:28 AM

That's just silly. These types of events draw people in from other parts of malls. While there isn't initially a crowd, it doesn't take much to draw one -- of a sensible size.
How does one capture the look of wonder, surprise and awe in the faces of spectators when those spectators know in advance the flash mob is going to happen?

Exactly

#11 mando

mando

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:31 AM

It was simply over-promoted. The element of surprise was gone a week or two ago - call it a mass caroling event rather than a flash mob. Just about every singer I know was aware of it. It did draw a good sized - and good natured - crowd to the mall. These people were also shopping and dining. Nothing wrong with that. Who woulda' thought that a virally communicated sing-along could draw more people than any other commercially advertised sale event.

Had the floor not shifted, it would have been fine - although the crowd was getting uncomfortably dense. Some effort should have been made to keep pathways clear and spread the crowd out. A stampede would not have been pretty.

The mall was part of this - they facilitated the sound system... so don't go on blaming "outsiders".

#12 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:11 AM

My sister in Michigan asked about this flash mob this morning. Evidently it made the national "news" on Inside Edition.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#13 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:03 AM

My sister in Michigan asked about this flash mob this morning. Evidently it made the national "news" on Inside Edition.

A relative in New Jersey heard about it and wanted to know if it was the same place they had the fire.

#14 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:19 PM

I will just bet that the politicians are watching and will be hiring singers to flash mob their political events...kinda like musical tea parties..

is it ok to sing that hallelula song outside of the christmas season

#15 MSgt

MSgt

Living Legend

• 3,405 posts
  • Interests:Camping
    Reading
    Fishing
    Read and discuss about spiritual matters

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:33 PM

Wow! Last week Donna and I were thinking about going... I am so glad we didn't!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users