• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:54 PM

Opinions of Sacramento is a focus group company which periodically does research studies with target audiences... they are currently seeking boys aged 4-8 for a toy study. It's an hour of their time and they get a free toy at the end. All you do is play with some toys, watch some commercials and answer some questions. That's about it. Nothing invasive and you can watch the whole study behind a 1-way mirror if you like.

If you are interested call John or Ken at 565-8398...

#2 Mommy2Sydni

Mommy2Sydni

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:15 PM

I always wanna participate in these!!! Everytime they call me we have something going on!!!

#3 femmesavante

femmesavante

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Interests:Homeschooling, cooking, theatre....

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:51 PM

Hmm... I'm not so sure that all of this information is correct. My daughter participated in one of studies for Opinions of Sacramento and we were told we would get $15 and a free toy for our time. We were told about the two way mirrors. However, once we got there, there were no "observation rooms" available. My daughter was in a room with another adult for about 30 minutes, all of which my husband hovered around the door. She did get a free toy but there was no money. It was out of our comfort zone and we will not be doing another one. It's unfortunate too, because I thought it would be fun if she could participate in these types of things and she actually really enjoyed it.

#4 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:44 PM

The money is usually involved to sweeten the pot if they are having trouble recruiting. I couldn't speak for what they promised you, I know we didn't get money with my kids (though I have participated in a few and gotten paid).

One way mirror rooms - you probably came when the main room was in use, which is too bad. It's fun to observe.

I respect your judgement as a parent, but having been involved in this a number of times and watching a few, I can assure you there's not much to worry about. All they are particularly interested in is what motivates children... they usually don't want you in the room because kids do act differently when their parents aren't around. In our case I can tell you it was very harmless.

#5 femmesavante

femmesavante

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Interests:Homeschooling, cooking, theatre....

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:48 PM

My gut sides toward uneasy, though I also feel it is PROBABLY legit. I did let them know that when children are involved they should always expect parents to want to observe - even if it's behind a two way mirror. Seriously, it's as simple as that, for me. Good to know that you, John, have had good experiences with them. My daughter really enjoyed it, and loved earning a new (kinda expensive [$25] toy) so maybe at least I can keep my name on their email list.

The money was a promise for a small deposit to our daughter's piggy bank - but more notably a disappointment in a promise unfulfilled. Lesson learned I suppose.

ETA: I am not trying to stir up trouble and like I said, this is probably a very legitimate company. I just thought, since we were talking about children that I would share my experience to give others a heads up to ask questions about anything that concerns them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users