• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:44 AM

Thought this would be good to post here so folks can see what the official rules of the trails are:

Bike Riders

Pass on the left – Be sure when you are passing someone, stay on their left saide and move to the right after you have passed them.  Call out “Passing on your left” to ensure taht you do not startle the person you are passing who may not know you are there. 

Pull completely off the trail if you need to stop – By pulling off the trail, you are less likely to get hit by bike traffic and cause and accident. 

Wear a helmet – It’s required for children under 18 years of age and it’s a good idea for adults as well.

Obey all traffic signs – Be sure to yield to traffic signs and follow any detour signs.  Make sure you watch for car traffic, particularly where it crosses the bike trail.

Pay attention when you ride – Don’t wear headphones and make sure you keep your eyes on the road to look for potential hazards.  Stay in you lane.

Ride in single file – Even if you are in a group, ride single-file helps keep the trail clear of congestion and reduced the chances of an accident.

The trail speed limit is 15 mph – The trail is not designed for extreme biking and too much speed  can be a hazard to you and those around you. 

Stay on the paved trail – Bicycles are not allowed on non-paved trails on the Parkway.

The trail is best used by experienced riders – while there is no age limit for bike riders, the bike trail is probably not the best place for someone to learn to ride a bike.  Children and adults who visit the trail should know how to ride.

Riding in the dark – When riding in the dark, bicyclists are required to wear a forward facing white light that is bright enough to be visible from 300 feet and from the sides of the bicycle. 

Pedestrians

Use the left shoulder when it is accessible to you – Joggers and walkers should stay on the dirt shoulder off the pavement to minimize the chance of an accident.

Stay single file – This reduces the chance of people straying onto the paved trail and potentially being involved in an accident. If you want to walk with a group of people, it is recommended that you either walk along the levee or move away from the bike trail.

Keep your dog on a short leash – Dogs are not allowed to be off-leash along the American River Parkway. Do not use an extended leash, as the dog can run out across the trail and potentially cause an accident.

Other Parkway Traffic

Equestrians – Horses are only allowed on the horse trail.  Be sure to let people know when it is safe to pass your horse when you encounter others.  It is recommended that equestrians wear helmets and only use the trail during the day to avoid potential hazards or obstacles that may be hidden from view in the dark.

Skaters  – Both roller skating and rollerblading are permitted on the trail, and all skaters must obey the same rules as bicyclists.  Skateboarders are NOT permitted on the Parkway.

No motorized traffic – No motorized traffic is permitted on the trail.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#2 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 12:00 PM

which trails?  those aren't the rules for the state park trails around lake natoma.  is that for the city trails?

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#3 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 12:18 PM

Thought this would be good to post here so folks can see what the official rules of the trails are:

Bike Riders

Pass on the left – Be sure when you are passing someone, stay on their left saide and move to the right after you have passed them.  Call out “Passing on your left” to ensure taht you do not startle the person you are passing who may not know you are there. 

Pull completely off the trail if you need to stop – By pulling off the trail, you are less likely to get hit by bike traffic and cause and accident. Absolutely will not go off trail and get bit by poison oak, a snake or get my nice sneakers dirty. Tires on bikes can take that chance. It is called slowing down and being considerate of multipurpose trails!!

Wear a helmet – It’s required for children under 18 years of age and it’s a good idea for adults as well.

Obey all traffic signs – Be sure to yield to traffic signs and follow any detour signs.  Make sure you watch for car traffic, particularly where it crosses the bike trail.

Pay attention when you ride – Don’t wear headphones and make sure you keep your eyes on the road to look for potential hazards.  Stay in you lane. Slow down!!! It doesnt matter whether I hear you or not-- It is not a reason to smack into me or scream epithets at me!! 

Ride in single file – Even if you are in a group, ride single-file helps keep the trail clear of congestion and reduced the chances of an accident.

The trail speed limit is 15 mph – The trail is not designed for extreme biking and too much speed  can be a hazard to you and those around you. 

Stay on the paved trail – Bicycles are not allowed on non-paved trails on the Parkway.

The trail is best used by experienced riders – while there is no age limit for bike riders, the bike trail is probably not the best place for someone to learn to ride a bike.  Children and adults who visit the trail should know how to ride. There is no time like being a child to learn how to ride a bike on the trail. It is not and should not ever be reserved for professionals or speed monsters or even adults. Bike trials are for everyone. Keep that in mind and be patient and slow down!!

Riding in the dark – When riding in the dark, bicyclists are required to wear a forward facing white light that is bright enough to be visible from 300 feet and from the sides of the bicycle. 

Pedestrians

Use the left shoulder when it is accessible to you – Joggers and walkers should stay on the dirt shoulder off the pavement to minimize the chance of an accident. Absolutely do not ever tell a jogger to run or walk in the dirt unless you are going to pay their medical bills and loss of work and their pain and suffering for being a road hog. Slow down and share the road!!!

Stay single file – This reduces the chance of people straying onto the paved trail and potentially being involved in an accident. If you want to walk with a group of people, it is recommended that you either walk along the levee or move away from the bike trail.

Keep your dog on a short leash – Dogs are not allowed to be off-leash along the American River Parkway. Do not use an extended leash, as the dog can run out across the trail and potentially cause an accident.

Other Parkway Traffic

Equestrians – Horses are only allowed on the horse trail.  Be sure to let people know when it is safe to pass your horse when you encounter others.  It is recommended that equestrians wear helmets and only use the trail during the day to avoid potential hazards or obstacles that may be hidden from view in the dark.

Skaters  – Both roller skating and rollerblading are permitted on the trail, and all skaters must obey the same rules as bicyclists.  Skateboarders are NOT permitted on the Parkway.

No motorized traffic – No motorized traffic is permitted on the trail.

This posting is an affront. Stop being a a me me me about bike trails and there would be less accidents and less hostility about trails!! (My comments are in blue)

#4 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 03 March 2015 - 12:28 PM

which trails?  those aren't the rules for the state park trails around lake natoma.  is that for the city trails?

D'oh I grabbed the wrong ones, those are from American River trails. 

Here are the ones for our local trails

> Bike Trail Etiquette Show courtesy to other trail users at all times. 

> Respect the environment and the rights of property owners.

> Keep dogs on a leash and remove pet feces.

> Bicyclists: Keep to the right side of the trail

> Yield to pedestrians

> Pass on the left side of oncoming pedestrians/joggers

> Ride at a safe speed; single-file in congested conditions or in areas with reduced visibility

> Pedestrians: Keep to the left side of the trail (facing oncoming cyclists)

> Watch for other trail users Maintain single-file in congested conditions and in areas with reduced visibility

Source: https://www.folsom.c...px?blobid=17412

This posting is an affront. Stop being a a me me me about bike trails and there would be less accidents and less hostility about trails!! (My comments are in blue)

I like your additional notes. 

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users