Photo
- - - - -

City Wants Law Erased At Middle School On Riley St.

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 maestro

maestro

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:10 AM

It seems to never end.     Here is the content of an objection letter sent to the City Clerk about the development czar's latest law erasure:   the total elimination of a specific set-back law on Bidwell.

To:  City Clerk, Development Dept.

CC:  FCUSD for distribution to board & oversight group of parents

PN 15 240 is a hearing on the abolition of a section of law:   FMC Chapter 17.02.360B

“Setback line” means a line established by this title to govern the placement of buildings with respect to streets and alleys. This section governs setback lines on the particular streets and public ways set forth herein:

B.    Along Bidwell Street, between the intersections of Folsom Boulevard and Riley Streets, 62 feet from centerline of Bidwell Street in R-1, R-2, R-3, and R-4 districts; and 92 feet from centerline in all other zonings;

With the exception of a very SMALL percentage of the parcels in question on Bidwell Street, it is all zoned Residential.    Four shallow parcels are zoned for Business Usages of an Intensive Nature.     They comprise about 4% of the frontage, but have the potential for building out commercially and totally obstructing the access, the nature of the area, and the safety of our children and residents.      No changes have occurred in these business zone usages for years.    The quonset hut parcel sold by the FCUSD school district is still zoned Residential Usage according to city map.   If that bogus new "mixed zone" wording is applied here, there will be NO height limit on buildings with a parking space "underground."    Mixed use also means multi-family residential & commercial in the same structures, and no enlarged roadways.       https://www.folsom.c...spx?blobid=7400

ZONING CONSIDERATIONs:  Public access to school;  two lane major thru-way for 3 county traffic;   total alteration of Residential nature (for no good reason)

The most significant impacts of erasing this setback law is to complicate the accessibility, sightlines, public works access, sidewalks, and traffic lanes which serve the FCUSD middle school.     This is also an intersection impacting the most significant in-city route for traffic between Highway 50 and all traffic routes to the north (such as 80).

What unknown commercial buyer wants to have the laws erased so they can build something much more massive on Bidwell St. at Riley St.?

Why would the city development czar even permit this proposal to advance without first consulting the school district about public safety.    Ditto, police and fire access experts.

What type of city would NOT include a full Certified opinion by a Licensed Engineer, stating this setback law -- which controls the road size, width and access --  should be erased?

We know what type of city council would do this.     It means also a huge additional sewage burden on pipes above the American River and old city districts, which already cannot contain the sewage directed at them.

PN15-240 is just another example of city council poor choices of employees, organization, erasing vital laws, and their obvious disdain for Public health, safety and welfare.

I have reported sewage overspills at this very location and the city told the water board:   "that's just ground water forcing itself upward at the sewage manholes" which are at the top of a steep hill.    

Repeal of FMC 17.02.360B  is an outrage against the public welfare, and in particular the youngsters attending the adjacent school, and all users of the public land there.

If the police and fire unions do not object to eliminating the widths  -- the only access to the school which is more than two lanes wide --   then something is very wrong here.

sent to FPD Chief, FFD Chief, others

#2 kcrides99

kcrides99

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:15 AM

Maestro - A little context may help. I live in the area and I am willing to look into it... but its not really clear what your letter is in reference to or what the concern/ proposed development... any clarification would be appreciated.

#3 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:31 AM

Can we get the condensed/ to the point/ English version...

My head hurts after trying to read this

#4 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:38 AM

Can we get the condensed/ to the point/ English version...

My head hurts after trying to read this

I have to agree. I appreciate maestro's intensity on issues, but I'd like the *Reader's Digest* version too, if possible.

#5 maestro

maestro

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:18 PM

My problem is my experience and incredible memory.   TMI is a major issue.   Here's a try at Readers Digest:

city wants to make it possible for a business to build something huge on Bidwell, especially at the top of the hill near Riley.   It's a freaky bottleneck right now!

Doing away with a valid section of law means there would be NO SETBACK requirements except whatever staff and/or council wanted the developer to be given.    

Why now?    school district property at Comstock and Bidwell at Riley and middle school, was bought by a business "consortium" associated with the guy in the tire store facing the middle school.     

What next?    If crazy council goes for this, and gives it the stupid "mixed use" untried zoning, then this area in front of the middle school and old school district land will be even more dangerous, jammed ---  but someone will make lots of money.   Price for the quonset hut parcel was not huge, not at all huge.     If the city gives them the right to build unlimited height buildings with no defined setback from the center of Bidwell St., and no requirements to add more lanes nor more sewer capacity -- then the residents and school children and all users of E. Bidwell St., Riley, and Bidwell, will suffer.

Is this hard to believe?      Dam right.    Been in land use law for decades, and never even thought anyone would be so bold-faced rapacious, dangerous, and apparently corrupt.      A special "mixed use" zone was invented for top dollar sales of school land, land sold cheap after a long time, agent was "connected to city", now land owners consortium wants a setback law erased entirely so they can built even more, bigger, wider, taller, structures --    at the expense of children and families.

If I were raising children now, here,  I'd have left this jurisdiction years ago.  

#6 kcrides99

kcrides99

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:44 PM

So let me try to make sense of this ramble... I'll tell you what I know...

The city approved a development at the corner of Riley/comstock/bidwell a few years ago that is pictured on the for Lease sign...

Are you saying that design is changing and the new owner is attempting to make an application to change that design and simultaneously applying the mixed use overlay ?

If that is the case what are the setbacks being proposed and the height?

I was noticed via mail for the last design so not sure (if what you say is true) why I would not have received the notice this time.

I totally support the concept of mixed use along this corridor as it needs to be reinvented to the modern age.

So I guess my questions are:

1- what is your source? Can you link to an image or set of plans?

2- what is the height and setbacks

3- what does "been in land use law for decades mean" because either you are not very good at it or you just are unable to successfully communicate rational thoughts.

4. How much did the site sell for?

5. Who is the new owner?

6. When is the hearing and where can I see the information?

#7 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:53 PM

This is simply abolition of a municipal code that is inconsistent with other municipal code regarding setbacks.  As these inconsistencies are brought to the attention of the City, the Planning Commission, Historic District Commission (in this particular case), they will be addressed to bring them into conformance with existing code.  The City is bringing this to the Council and Commissions, not any developer.

#8 kcrides99

kcrides99

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:57 PM

Agreed- also the mixed use overlay may allow less setbacks but I am ok with that! Orienting buildings to the street is good planning- it "activates" the street and makes t more visually appealing than a parking lot.

Personally I hope to se a lot more infill development along east bidwell that is more akin to the smaller stuff going in at midtown.

#9 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:12 PM

Agreed- also the mixed use overlay may allow less setbacks but I am ok with that! Orienting buildings to the street is good planning- it "activates" the street and makes t more visually appealing than a parking lot.

Personally I hope to se a lot more infill development along east bidwell that is more akin to the smaller stuff going in at midtown.

As long as they don't create parking problems, because that sounds good in theory, and it's great if you live in Midtown, but if you have to work there and find parking it is a pain in the behind if you need to be there more than 2 hours.

#10 kcrides99

kcrides99

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:19 PM

It would take a long time for parking to become an issue given the abundance of free parking all over town

#11 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 04:53 AM

I hope someone remembers this is still part of Folsoms historic district and not midtown Sacramento. I wouldn't want to see urban creep in this area overlapping a residential area. If you want midtown, put it SO50. Not in the historic district.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#12 kcrides99

kcrides99

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 08:01 AM

I am not saying create midtown in the historic district... I am saying we should embrace some of the development patterns and design that make midtown desireable and take the good parts and incorporate them into the cbd (between bidwell st and blue ravine - roughly).

That portion of town is struggling and needs to have some serious help. The mixed use overlay increases the possibility of revitalization

#13 tony

tony

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:37 AM

I hope someone remembers this is still part of Folsoms historic district and not midtown Sacramento. I wouldn't want to see urban creep in this area overlapping a residential area. If you want midtown, put it SO50. Not in the historic district.

Bidwell and Comstock already have plenty of commercial and industrial creep. In fact, they already function as a mixed use area, only its building by building and not in the same building. It's also, bad mixed use because it is mostly industrial (auto repair shops) mixed with residential). I'm not sure how a new mixed use development replacing the mostly abandoned quonsett hut  is going to be detrimental to the character of the neighborhood.

As for the various comments on parking, it's always good to remember that "parking problems" are almost always a sign of a successful neighborhood -- one that people want to go to and live in.  I've used this example before (and I recently read that this is now changing), Downtown Buffalo is a great place to find a parking spot. There are big, free, surface parking lots all over downtown; but there's no place to go once you park your car. But much closer to home, you don't have to look any further than Sutter Street. People don't go to Sutter Street  because it has convenient parking; they go there because it is a cool place to walk around and has unique businesses.This perception by much of the local business community that the only way to be successful is to have 30,000 cars a day driving by your business and a bike parking lot to accommodate a percentage of them has been proven wrong all over the country. People who walk and bike to businesses spend much more money at local businesses than those who drive, because once they get into their car, people think nothing of driving 10 to 20 miles, but those walking or biking stay within a mile or two and spend their money there.  The best example locally is Intel. Restaurants across the street from Intel have turned over at an astounding rate over the years, even though there are 7000 people across the street at Intel. Why (besides the in-house cafeterias)? Because Intel though that having their buildings visible from the freeway was more important than being part of the city; consequently, the walk through Intel's parking lots and across Iron Point to get to those places right across the street is so unpleasant and unsafe that people just get in their cars to go to lunch. And once in their cars, they are unlikely to go to the closest place - the whole city is an option. 

It's not the 1960s or 1980s any more. People around the country and around the world have figured out that designing our cities for the past 75 years around moving and storing cars was a big mistake. Instead, they have figured out that what matters is the people who drive those cars, and if we don't force them to drive everywhere, they won't. The best thing the city could do with the zoning code would be to eliminate minimum parking requirements and let the market decide how much parking is required.

#14 maestro

maestro

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:28 AM

The best thing the city could do with the zoning code would be to eliminate minimum parking requirements and let the market decide how much parking is required.

Unbelievable anyone with an engineering license would express this opinion.      

The law governing essential setbacks for unlimited height buildings (under "Mixed Use Zone") is necessary and vital to safety and order.      Eliminating parking requirements is so far out in left field -- as to be radical and preposterous.

The "market" in this city means a permanent city council giving out imaginary water to uncounted thousands of new residents south of 50, and making life a living hell for people forced to live near the many bars and alcohol sales places this council loves.     

Wake up time!   There is no other place known in the country where zoning is such a developers and politicians' moveable/changable feast -- in the name of $$$$$$.     Let's show a little respect for existing laws, and using Licensed Engineers to prepare valid studies for streets.

https://www.planning.../eip24part1.pdf

#15 kcrides99

kcrides99

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:33 AM

Define unlimited... Are you saying 100' buildings?

And maestro try This book since you are a land use "expert": http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/193236496X

Again you refuse to provide any evidence of this magic development no one else has even seen other than your cryptic rant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users