422 replies to this topic

#16 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:01 PM

You really are careless when you read.  Nowhere in any of my posts regarding climate change or the ski industry have the words "man made" appeared.  I'm very careful when I write and consider details.  You seem careless when you read and don't care about details.  Again, not typical for a scientist, as you claim to be. 

And from the guy who posts 14 inane "points"............?   That was not careful writing by any means, just partisan shots at Trump and his administration.....  And you argue that nowhere that you wrote "man made" but you freely use "denier" in regards to climate change.  This tells us exactly where you stand and how you think.  Stop trying to play the middle ground when you are clearly in left field politically.  

5)  His press secretary appears to be constantly on the verge of an aneurysm.

6)  He's pulled funding for climate research, even though everyone, including deniers, are calling for more research.

9)  He conducts national security business over a table in a public restaurant.

13)  His staff thinks they're being spied upon by their microwave ovens.

14)  The leader of the free world has no credibility with the free world.

The above is clearly "careless" and not the "careful" writing of someone who claims to be a professional journalist.  If you are joking around then that's fine but stop trying to play the only adult in the room when you write stuff like you did above.....

1A - 2A = -1A

#17 Who_Do_You_Trust

Who_Do_You_Trust

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:26 PM

The above is clearly "careless" and not the "careful" writing of someone who claims to be a professional journalist.  If you are joking around then that's fine but stop trying to play the only adult in the room when you write stuff like you did above.....

At the risk of being consumed by minutia, we can go thru these one at a time and check for facts:

5)  His press secretary appears to be constantly on the verge of an aneurysm.  OK.  I'll cop to this one.  It's my opinion.

6)  He's pulled funding for climate research, even though everyone, including deniers, are calling for more research.  Pruitt (a denier) in recent testimony said, "...more research is needed... "

9)  He conducts national security business over a table in a public restaurant.  There are photographs.

13)  His staff thinks they're being spied upon by their microwave ovens.  Conway's quote during The Record (NJ newspaper) interview - "And microwaves that turn into cameras, etc."

14)  The leader of the free world has no credibility with the free world.  Conway's quote during Chuck Todd interview - "...our press secretary, gave alternative facts to that."

You can dismiss all this if you want, I don't care.  But when it looks like a chicken, walks like a pigeon, and talks like a parrot and you try to tell me it's a duck, you may be a candidate for the "crazy" category. 

One of the benefits of a free society is that people are free to be crazy without penalty.  don't expect me to join you, however.

#18 Who_Do_You_Trust

Who_Do_You_Trust

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:31 PM

OK.  the craziness continues.  Today Mr. Trump met with congressional republicans.  He essentially told them to vote for his plan to repeal the ACA, or they would lose their seat in the next election.  Because of Citizens United, Trump can get his corporate friends to unleash $millions to fund campaign ads to make sure these congressmen don't get re-elected.  He can deliver on his threat.  

When they vote, aren't members of congress supposed to represent the people in their home districts?  Not succumb to what amounts to attempted extortion from the president?  If I was a constituent in a district where Trump was threatening my representative to get him to vote a certain way, I would be furious.  We can only hope the congressmen threatened by Trump will vote according to the wishes of their constituents.  I'm not optimistic, however.   Crazy seems to be the new normal.  

One other thing, today's stock market dive may just be another jumpy session on Wall St.  Or it may be the start of some prolonged market decline as the money men realize that crazy is the new normal.  Markets hate turmoil.

#19 Who_Do_You_Trust

Who_Do_You_Trust

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:20 PM

More crazy stuff - today, congressman Devin Nunes spoke to the press regarding some non-news about legal surveillance of GOP figures after the election.  This appears to be a "white rabbit" (term coined by Chris) designed to distract everyone from the critical house vote Thursday on the repeal of ACA.  Hopefully, people won't be fooled.

Yesterday's sharp drop of the S&P and DOW indexes is the Market's prediction that the legislation won't pass.  Stock prices are usually a fairly good predictor of future events.

#20 Who_Do_You_Trust

Who_Do_You_Trust

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:34 PM

Today's crazy report - 

Yesterday, a particular species of bumble bee found in the eastern third of the USA was placed on the Endangered Species List.  The bee has virtually disappeared from areas in the US where it was a common sight 20 years ago.  Entomologists believe the bee's disappearance is the result of loss of habitat and pesticides.  Three industrial groups have filed protests about the bee's placement on the Endangered Species List.  The chemical pesticide industry, the factory farm industry, and land developers.  no surprise there.

Forty percent of our food is either directly or indirectly affected by the pollenization work done by bees.  The decline of bee populations will have a very direct impact on many of our food sources.

And here's the crazy part - our executive branch reduced the funding for the EPA by 31% last week.  Corporations win, the bees lose.  Perhaps it's because the bees don't make campaign contributions? 

#21 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:51 PM

Prove that Man is responsible for this Bee's population decrease....!  Pure speculation by the entomologists most certainly.  Show me the peer reviewed paper and I am sure I could poke a hundred holes in it...!   You see all the "peers" are all enviro whackos too....!   That's how it works.  If you try to publish something that does not fit the left wing agenda you won't be published.  Climate change is the perfect example of this in the scientific community.   The Bees decline, most probably a natural occurrence, 99.999% most probably, due to a fungal or bacterial infection, or habitat change (no, not Man's fault either).   Natural selection at work.......Yes, we know about bee pollination, I do love my raw Almonds....!   Should have cut the EPA by more than 31% and gut out the environmental whackos in there now and put in real scientists without a left wing political agenda.  31% is good for now I guess, maybe another 25% next year....?   And corporations employ pretty much all of us, they are not evil.  I know that is hard for you lefties to understand, that businesses, capitalism, and making money are good things.  Get a life, stop worrying, the sky is not falling, and Bees will always be here........   Chris 

1A - 2A = -1A

#22 Who_Do_You_Trust

Who_Do_You_Trust

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 03:52 PM

First you say, "...Man is responsible for this Bee's population decrease....!  Pure speculation by the entomologists most certainly."

Then you say, "The Bees decline, most probably a natural occurrence, 99.999% most probably, due to a fungal or bacterial infection, or habitat change (no, not Man's fault either)."

So let me get this straight.  First you accuse professional scientists of "speculation".  Then you, a self proclaimed geologist with NO knowledge of entomology, speculate about the issue claiming a 99.999% probability of being correct.

I don't usually make personal judgments in forums like this, but you, sir, have no idea what you're talking about.  

And now you can join Aces on my "ignore" list.  You bring nothing to the party.  Farewell

#23 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:54 PM

First you say, "...Man is responsible for this Bee's population decrease....!  Pure speculation by the entomologists most certainly."

Then you say, "The Bees decline, most probably a natural occurrence, 99.999% most probably, due to a fungal or bacterial infection, or habitat change (no, not Man's fault either)."

So let me get this straight.  First you accuse professional scientists of "speculation".  Then you, a self proclaimed geologist with NO knowledge of entomology, speculate about the issue claiming a 99.999% probability of being correct.

I don't usually make personal judgments in forums like this, but you, sir, have no idea what you're talking about.  

And now you can join Aces on my "ignore" list.  You bring nothing to the party.  Farewell

Go ahead, put me on your "ignore" list......!   As Jack Nicholson said, "You can't handle the truth"..........!  I'll put my degree, knowledge, and work experience in science, working in the lab these last 30 years, over your journalism degree any day, anytime....!   Oh, and you should see my books on bugs, kinda a hobby of mine, that and tree identification too....   I can't go on a hike without identifying every bug I see, every tree that's along the way....   Not to mention the rocks....   The hybrid trees really get me though....!   Keeps me up at night until I put it all together after many long hours of research.   In short, I am trained in science, work in a lab every day, and you just write about science, occasionally that is.......   I think I know who I should ignore when it comes to science.   But go ahead, take your marbles and go away........!  Typical liberal response, you "don't want to talk about it anymore" or you "raise your voice" and maybe cry to make your silly, non scientific, non factual point.  After all, it is really how you "feel".   Enjoy your isolation from reality, contrary opinion, the facts, real science, and the truth.   Chris  

1A - 2A = -1A

#24 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:53 PM

7 species of bees were listed as endangered in Hawaii last year. However, what is left out is that Hawaii's bees, "11 new native species have been found in the past 15 years."  Can't get funding for bees that reestablish or adapt, so the headlines are scary.   I keep seeing a facebook meme about how "7 different species of bees were put on the endangered species list".  It then warns no strawberries, avocados, etc will be around. What is left out is that there are 20,000 + species of bees.

For your example, is it that the bees are endangered because a more fit bee for the current environment is displacing it like in Hawaii?

As for the OP. Yes, he is definitely out there. There is no dignity to the office... HOWEVER, I still think he is better for the country than Hillary would have been.

Both the Reps and the Dems are screwed. Once again, the reps are managing to pull defeat from the grasp of victory. Their hamhanded and disastrous (politically) handling of the healthcare issue is all you need to know about how instead of sweeping 2018 Senatorial elections, they are going to be lucky to keep a majority in either House or a Senate.

OTOH The Dems are a mess. No bench to speak of, Pelosi and Shumer as the faces of the party. I just hope they keep focusing of the wedge issues of ethnicity,  "women's rights", trangenderism and hate speech. The populace has had enough of that crap.

Maybe we will finally get a party that focuses on LIBERTY rather than who can skim the most from wealthy donors.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#25 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:02 PM

When people brag about being "journalists", all you can do is laugh. Apparently they don't know that they are as well-liked as Herpes. Article below. :lol:

http://www.newsbuste...-public-respect

Ouch....!   Well done Aces........!   I think he got handed his arse, many times over, and in spades, and does not want to "play" anymore........  Yep, typical liberal.....!   Can't stand the truth so they get all "offended" and state that we are not worth the debate, we are stupid, ignorant, deplorable, clinging to our guns and religion...... Not really trained in science or degreed in such.........?   So deplorable we are, the ones who ask questions to the contrary of political correctness.   Not worth their time, not worth their response.......?   Since it is all about how they "feel" and not the facts that is justification for them and they go off and live in their little liberal, politically correct, non racist, racially correct, bubble of a life, put us on "ignore", not going to listen to you, surround themselves with people who think just like they do........   All they have to do is tune into the MSM to validate their lives, their opinion, their "feelings".   Actually, I really like people who disagree with me, counter my ideas, my thinking, I always keep an open mind.  I really don't want to be around people who think like me, I want to be around people who do not think like me....!   They might teach me a thing or two, different perspective, or change my mind....?  I am always open to that, just prove it and I will be all yours....!   Convert me with your scientific method and facts and I will not argue with you.  Until then, I am a thorn in your side, prove it Who Do or just get filed away with all the other left wing, MSM repeaters, the mindless ones.......   Chris

1A - 2A = -1A

#26 Who_Do_You_Trust

Who_Do_You_Trust

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:46 PM

7 species of bees were listed as endangered in Hawaii last year. However, what is left out is that Hawaii's bees, "11 new native species have been found in the past 15 years."  Can't get funding for bees that reestablish or adapt, so the headlines are scary.   I keep seeing a facebook meme about how "7 different species of bees were put on the endangered species list".  It then warns no strawberries, avocados, etc will be around. What is left out is that there are 20,000 + species of bees.

For your example, is it that the bees are endangered because a more fit bee for the current environment is displacing it like in Hawaii?

As for the OP. Yes, he is definitely out there. There is no dignity to the office... HOWEVER, I still think he is better for the country than Hillary would have been.

Both the Reps and the Dems are screwed. Once again, the reps are managing to pull defeat from the grasp of victory. Their hamhanded and disastrous (politically) handling of the healthcare issue is all you need to know about how instead of sweeping 2018 Senatorial elections, they are going to be lucky to keep a majority in either House or a Senate.

OTOH The Dems are a mess. No bench to speak of, Pelosi and Shumer as the faces of the party. I just hope they keep focusing of the wedge issues of ethnicity,  "women's rights", trangenderism and hate speech. The populace has had enough of that crap.

Maybe we will finally get a party that focuses on LIBERTY rather than who can skim the most from wealthy donors.

Joe,  appreciate your sane commentary (more than you know).

My bit regarding bees was more aimed at the dichotomy of seemingly unusual events being observed in the environment compared to the reduction of funds and efforts by the current administration to understand and deal with them.  

Sadly, real science in some areas has become political science.  For this, I tend to blame moneyed interests who have a financial incentive to introduce "doubt" into the real science.  It's the same strategy used by the tobacco industry in the 1950's and 1960's when they saw health issues become a threat to their bottom line.  It was used again by the sugar industry in the 1970's when they made huge efforts to show sugar as a healthy food.  Today, diabetes related illnesses take up more than half of the nation's healthcare budget.  It should be no surprise. 

Unfortunately, the adage about fooling some of the people all the time, and fooling all of the people some of the time appears to be true still.

#27 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:53 AM

Sadly, real science in some areas has become political science.  For this, I tend to blame moneyed interests who have a financial incentive to introduce "doubt" into the real science

Oh, you mean like this, depicted in the illustration below? Gotcha. Now go away, and take your anti-Trump derangement, wild speculation, unhinged hysteria, and sky-is-falling propaganda with you !!

Settled-Science-600-LA.jpg

#28 Who_Do_You_Trust

Who_Do_You_Trust

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:12 PM

Today's "crazy" report - What others are saying.

On Wednesday, the Wall Street Journal published an editorial strongly criticizing the president on credibility issues.  Some snippets from their article:

"...his seemingly endless stream of exaggerations, evidence-free accusations, implausible denials and other falsehood,"

"Yet the President clings to his assertions like a drunk to an empty gin bottle, rolling out his press spokesman to make more dubious claims,"

"Two months into his Presidency, Gallup has Mr. Trump's approval rating at 39%. No doubt Mr. Trump considers that fake news, but if he doesn't show more respect for the truth most Americans may conclude he's a fake President."

The Wall St Journal publishes business news, and are friends of the business world.  As is Trump.  These two should be getting along like newlyweds, but it's not the case.  And like many failed marriages, lack of credibility is the root cause.

What has to happen for people to voice their displeasure, disbelief, or outright anger at the craziness going on in Washington?  

#29 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:50 PM

Ah, yes. Of course. Quoting the Wall Street Journal. Hilarious. Another media outlet that is mostly FAKE. Nice try, pal. Go away, troll !! :lol:

the-wallstreetjournal-the-wall-street-jo

#30 Who_Do_You_Trust

Who_Do_You_Trust

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:30 PM

Special midnight edition of the "crazy" report - just a single thought before retiring for the night:

Every morning I wake up to realize that the president of my country is under investigation by the FBI for colluding with a foreign government (Russia no less) in order to sway the outcome of the election.  And the communication to that foreign government was not covert.  The candidate looked directly into the camera and pleaded with the Russians to hack his opponent's computer servers.  And they did.  Astonishingly, the American public let him get away with it.  And "crazy" just keeps rolling on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users