6 replies to this topic

#1 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 07:09 AM

They are getting hammered over on Folsom Chat. Wonder if anyone here has tried it?

I will share my review. I hope they iron out some kinks, because I'd love to have another good taco/burrito place in town. But I'm not sure I'll be able to drag my daughter back.

We love Mexican or California-Mexican food, but we were very disappointed in our whole experience. The servers were very disorganized and couldn't seem to decide who would make our food, who would take our money, etc. We ordered tacos, and they gave them to us with just meat, no toppings. They did not ask us what toppings we wanted--I had to say, "Uh, can we get toppings on these?" They acted like it was a strange request. "Like what?" They asked. I asked for salsa and sour cream, and they told us the sour cream was $1.00! We had already paid (due to the disordered servers getting ahead of themselves), so I had to dig into my purse again to get out $1.00. What kind of place would give you plain tacos and then charge item by item for toppings?! And after all that, the food was mediocre at best.

#2 slowthegrowth

slowthegrowth

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,318 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 07:38 AM

Their opening and performance in Rancho recently has been similarly disappointing. Chipotle, they are not.

#3 granto

granto

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:07 AM

Been to the Roseville one a couple of times, never that exciting so decided there were better options for Mexican.   The Folsom location is not even on my radar especially now that El Pollo Loco is right down the street. 

They are based in Utah,  the hotbed of Mexican cuisine. :BREAKDANCE:

#4 SCA

SCA

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 10:26 AM

I have been several times since they opened and I love the mango chicken salad but that's the only thing I've ever ordered!  We usually go to Rubio's if we want "fresh mex" because they are close to our house but I don't like Rubio's salads.  I've never been a big Chipotle fan.  I agree the Costa Vida servers seem a little unorganized behind the counter.  They remind me of Freebirds in that respect.  We tried the Sutter Street Taqueria last night and liked that too.  

#5 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 10:58 AM

Do the salads come with the various ingredients and toppings one wants on a salad?

I think that was the most disturbing thing about the whole experience--to be handed tacos with no toppings whatsoever, and then nickel and dimed for each topping. Bizarre.

#6 SCA

SCA

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 12:18 PM

The salads come with toppings. The small salad is more than enough.

#7 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:21 PM

Been once and yes seems somewhat disorganized. Food was OK but not great

The name "Costa Vida" had me thinking they would have some type of fish/seafood on thei menu which they had none. Not even shrimp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users