• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 trans

trans

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, biking, camping, shooting, surviving!

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:21 PM

The wifey and I have noticed a lot of dying bees in our backyard in the past week. There have been over a dozen flailing and trying to sting the stucco walls of my house. Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen or knows why this is happening. Its kind of weird to witness.
Life is nothing until it is lived...

#2 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:33 AM

we just found some dead bees this morning

#3 momof1

momof1

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:26 PM

I heard something recently I thought a bit odd, but it came from someone I trust not to tell wacko theories. They said that bees don't leave the hive with excess energy. that they kind of operate like our airline industry, in that they don't fill up with a full load of fuel, they fill up with enough to cover the roundtrip they expect to make based on how far the pollen source is away from the hive. So if a strong wind blows them significantly off course, they can run out of fuel and not have enough energy to make it back to the hive. Now I realize they aren't like a mechanical device, and we humans have lots of reserves to live on well past a day, but I guess I could see how a small creature like a bee could deplete itself and run out of energy much quicker than larger animals and basically die from fatigue/starvation.

I don't know if you witnessed a bunch of bees in that situation, or maybe they were afflicted with the mysterious unknown cause of bee die off the bee industry is experiencing.

I know that recently there were a few times I walked out of my house and saw a dying bee on the walkway.

#4 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:39 PM

Bees are alive and kicking it at hour house. They love our flowering plants and appear to be thriving.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#5 castopia

castopia

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 01:10 PM

Dead bees on the outside of my house

Dead bees along the outside of the house are signs of a beehive living in the wall, eave or attic. This will typically be accompanied by bee activities buzzing above or near the dead bees. Upon observation you may also see dead or sick bees being carried out by one or two bees and dropped somewhere......

http://www.adkinsbee...of-my-house.php

#6 Thinkingoutloud

Thinkingoutloud

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 04:30 PM

Probably all the round up and raid that suburbanites insist on using. At my house where I am 100% organic, the bees are alive and pollinating my garden with abandon. :D:

#7 EAH

EAH

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:17 PM

I noticed several dead or dying bees last summer and again this summer. I panic and try to revive them ( scoop them up gently and place them on flowers or grass- crazazy ....I know) but I really worry about our bee population dying out, Saw one just now (that's 2 in as many days) while out in the vege garden and it breaks my heart. We have a TON of wasps and yellowjackets this summer though.

#8 Devdave

Devdave

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:20 PM

I have tons of dead bees all over the backyard. If I super chlorinate my pool, I see even more. I assume they are drinking the pool water and when it's heavily chlorinated, it gives them a bad case of indigestion...

#9 EAH

EAH

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 10:44 PM

Probably all the round up and raid that suburbanites insist on using. At my house where I am 100% organic, the bees are alive and pollinating my garden with abandon. :D:

Just a note that I have NEVER used pesticides and am totally organic and STILL have dying bees ??? :-(

#10 Devdave

Devdave

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:05 PM

It's possible that your neighbors are killing them and they die in your yard. I know I see a lot more when I Chlorinate the pool - but what can I do? I would gladly put up signs that say "No Drinking Here!" but alas they don't read well.

Just a note that I have NEVER used pesticides and am totally organic and STILL have dying bees ??? :-(

#11 KoMbAse

KoMbAse

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:45 AM

Dead bees on the outside of my house

Dead bees along the outside of the house are signs of a beehive living in the wall, eave or attic. This will typically be accompanied by bee activities buzzing above or near the dead bees. Upon observation you may also see dead or sick bees being carried out by one or two bees and dropped somewhere......

http://www.adkinsbeeremoval.com/get-rid-of-bees/dead-bees-outside-of-my-house.php

That can be so dangerous for your home if the queen bee decides to make a home inside the wall, eave, or attic. Imagine all that honey getting bigger and bigger until it penetrates the inside of your home. One couple had no idea that they had a huge bee hive right above their bed in the master bedroom. The hive got bigger and bigger until it collapsed on their bed. Luckily , they were not present at home during this event.

#12 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 04:45 PM

We have a TON of wasps and yellowjackets this summer though.

I'm curious how you control the wasps being all organic? What are you using?

I found 2 wasp nests under the eaves yesterday, sprayed the nests & knocked them down. But I noticed the wasps are still swarming today. Is there a better or more effective way to get rid of the wasps, or at least decrease their population? Or does it just take a few days for their "medicine" to get passed on to everyone in the nest?

#13 EAH

EAH

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:12 PM

I'm curious how you control the wasps being all organic? What are you using?

I found 2 wasp nests under the eaves yesterday, sprayed the nests & knocked them down. But I noticed the wasps are still swarming today. Is there a better or more effective way to get rid of the wasps, or at least decrease their population? Or does it just take a few days for their "medicine" to get passed on to everyone in the nest?

Honestly, I don't control the wasps. I pretty much leave them alone and so far they have left me alone (fingers crossed).

#14 trans

trans

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, biking, camping, shooting, surviving!

Posted 04 August 2011 - 12:23 AM

Hmmm, a lot to think about! I am thinking it is probably the orkin man doing his rounds! I usually try not to use pesticides because I worry about my dogs getting into it and I don't like the idea of too many chemicals in or around my home. I have plenty of flowers for them to get into, but I have seen more wasps than anything! They are a little annoying, but whatever. Thanks for all the responses! Hope the bees quit dying!
Life is nothing until it is lived...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users