Photo
- - - - -

Tips Or Business Referral For Migraines?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 searchguy

searchguy

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Search engine optimization, health and wellness with Juice Plus

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:30 AM

I've had migraines for a few years now. Typically starts with pain in my neck and lower head. No visual issues and no vertigo, and only goes away when I sleep it off overnight.

Tried everything from massage therapy, physical therapy, chiropractic - all unsuccessful. Started seeing a Folsom pain management therapist called Hands on Healer that seems to be my best bet so far. Slight reduction in headaches after only my second appointment. I like the craniosacral massage better than the full body massage since it focuses on my head!

My diet is excellent, with no added sugar, preservatives, caffeine - tons of fruits and vegetables. Have been taking a product called Juice Plus which has helped my health tremendously.

Anyone know of non traditional contacts in the Folsom area who I may be able to consult? Or has anyone been able to recover from migraines through a method that I can duplicate?

Not interested in any prescription remedies.

Thanks!

#2 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:48 AM

QUOTE (zachpresnall @ Jan 27 2009, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've had migraines for a few years now. Typically starts with pain in my neck and lower head. No visual issues and no vertigo, and only goes away when I sleep it off overnight.

Tried everything from massage therapy, physical therapy, chiropractic - all unsuccessful. Started seeing a Folsom pain management therapist called Hands on Healer that seems to be my best bet so far. Slight reduction in headaches after only my second appointment. I like the craniosacral massage better than the full body massage since it focuses on my head!

My diet is excellent, with no added sugar, preservatives, caffeine - tons of fruits and vegetables. Have been taking a product called Juice Plus which has helped my health tremendously.

Anyone know of non traditional contacts in the Folsom area who I may be able to consult? Or has anyone been able to recover from migraines through a method that I can duplicate?

Thanks!

Wow, what an interesting method to promote one's own product?

Might I ask why if someone is heating a healthy diet of fruits & vegetables, one needs to take a supplement like Juice+?

I would rather be Backpacking

#3 FrankExchange

FrankExchange

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:39 PM

I suffered with debilitating, severe migraines for more than 10 years (strangely, they started around the time I met my wife...lol), the kind that make you nauseous and affect your vision and functionality.

They were diagnosed as cluster headaches - the designation related to t he fact that they wouldn't occur for several weeks, and then I'd have them 24 hours a day for 5 or 6 days.

I tried everything under the sun, including homeopathic (scam, but that's another thread), natural & herbal, chiropractic, massage therapy - they even did an MRI on my melon. All to no avail.

Finally a drug was created that worked - and I mean it works every time without fail. Sometimes I have to take a few over a few days period, but the headaches go away - always.

Imitrex is what I use - I think it is called Sumatriptan, and it solved my migraine problem.

Gives credence to the "better living through chemistry" concept...lol.

Good luck!
Ad Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

#4 a little bean

a little bean

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:43 PM

QUOTE (FrankExchange @ Jan 28 2009, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I suffered with debilitating, severe migraines for more than 10 years (strangely, they started around the time I met my wife...lol), the kind that make you nauseous and affect your vision and functionality.

They were diagnosed as cluster headaches - the designation related to t he fact that they wouldn't occur for several weeks, and then I'd have them 24 hours a day for 5 or 6 days.

I tried everything under the sun, including homeopathic (scam, but that's another thread), natural & herbal, chiropractic, massage therapy - they even did an MRI on my melon. All to no avail.

Finally a drug was created that worked - and I mean it works every time without fail. Sometimes I have to take a few over a few days period, but the headaches go away - always.

Imitrex is what I use - I think it is called Sumatriptan, and it solved my migraine problem.

Gives credence to the "better living through chemistry" concept...lol.

Good luck!

Do you have any side effects with your meds? I'm taking one now that will get rid of my migraine, but makes me feel "spacey" and sick to my stomach. I'll take it over the migraine, but I'm still usually out for a few hours afterwards.

#5 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:52 PM

Place your hands on either side of your head. Stick the longest finger on each hand up one of your nostrils, stick your thumbs into your ears.

So that is a finger in each nostril and a thumb in each ear. Now blow as hard as you can.

That will take care of your headache.
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#6 JMH

JMH

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:56 PM

I use BC Powders. They work great, but you have to use them before the aura. If it's too late and I'm close to the aura then I use the Imitrex spray. I'm allergic to the non-active indgredients in the Imitrex pill, but not to anything in the spray (which tastes pretty nasty). It still upsets my stomache. Drinking a small amount of Ginger Ale and eating a few crackers usually helps.

BC Powders are the original form of aspirin with caffeine. Safeway and Walmart usually have them (on the bottom shelf). They are my "miracle" over the counter drug!

#7 searchguy

searchguy

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Jan 27 2009, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, what an interesting method to promote one's own product?

Might I ask why if someone is heating a healthy diet of fruits & vegetables, one needs to take a supplement like Juice+?

Hi Bill,

Yes, clever... but also a valid discussion I think a lot of people need help with, including me. And no, it did not help my migraines. I use a prescription called Zomig that stops the migraine once it starts, but I'd be a lot better if the never started. Hard to tell what level of sarcasm you are using... but it doesn't hurt to get MORE fruits and vegetables, especially ripe and non cooked ones.

Thanks, Zach

#8 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE (zachpresnall @ Jan 28 2009, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Bill,

Yes, clever... but also a valid discussion I think a lot of people need help with, including me. And no, it did not help my migraines. I use a prescription called Zomig that stops the migraine once it starts, but I'd be a lot better if the never started. Hard to tell what level of sarcasm you are using... but it doesn't hurt to get MORE fruits and vegetables, especially ripe and non cooked ones.

Thanks, Zach

Actually, too much of a good thing quite often is a bad thing. e.g. When I was in Korea, I started getting some killer sinus headaches, and the prescription decongestants and tylenol were working worth squat. Someone suggested I try raw ginseng root, and so I went downtown, bought some fresh ginseng for relatively dirt cheap, ate a root (tastes like a juicy carrot kinda) and 15 minutes later, sinus headache was gone and i felt great.
So I started eating 2 roots everyday. I developed this other problem, frequent bowel movements, aka diarhea. I asked our house men (the Koreans that cleaned the dorms) about eating 2 roots per day, he told me, "too muchy, eat only 1/2 root per day", problem solved.

After a couple of weeks, I stopped eating Ginseng, and those killer sinus headaches never returned.

As for sarcasm, Yes, I think there is some truth to certian chinese medicine, but as ripoffs are a dime a dozen, I'm always skeptical of the latest "elixir of life", it's a scam that is at least as old as our country is. MonaVie for example, if 1/2 the things they claimed were true, the medical community would be all over it like flies on poop. And many "miracle" cures can be attributed to the placebo effect, to this day, I don't know if the ginseng truly fixed my sinus headache problem or if it was a sub-conscious mind over matter, but I do actually think the ginseng did do something to open up my sinues so they could drain relieving the pressure, I've heard of ginseng being described as a whole body stimulant (obviously too much stimulates bowel movements laugh.gif)

#9 Rozlab

Rozlab

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:29 PM

Thanks!

#10 Rozlab

Rozlab

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:33 PM

Thanks!

As someone who has had migraines for more years than I care to admit and going through numeous alternative methods I have pretty much tried it all. The one thing that cut my migraines from weekly to maybe twice a year was to give up citrus. I know that sounds ridiculous and I didn't believe it when I first read about it. But I gave up orange juice and my migraines disappeared. I had previously given up chocolate, aged cheese, wines, sulfites, all the usual suspects. Also you may want to try giving up tomatoes. That is not a trigger for me, but I understand it is pretty common.

#11 newsblaze

newsblaze

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Interests:News, computers, the garden, HFRA, bagpipes, Folsom.

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:19 PM

A friend of mine in Australia had this problem too, about 25 years ago. Tried lots of things. Eventually, he went to a Chiropractor who had some special training - and he fixed the problem. Sorry I don't remember what it was called but basically, the chiropractor put his finger right up inside his nose and did some internal cranial manipulation.
I think they also inflated a balloon inside, which was obviously able to reach a lot further.
This also fixed his sinus problems.

He also had a cervical spine problem, which was fixed earlier and fixed most of the headaches.

My friend said it was horrible, but you get used to it after a couple of times and he didn't mind it at all after it fixed the headaches.

Alan Gray
Read Folsom news at
http://folsomlocalnews.com
Support Our Troops, Read Their Stories
at http://newsblaze.com

#12 searchguy

searchguy

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:46 AM

QUOTE (Rozlab @ Jan 28 2009, 05:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As someone who has had migraines for more years than I care to admit and going through numeous alternative methods I have pretty much tried it all. The one thing that cut my migraines from weekly to maybe twice a year was to give up citrus. I know that sounds ridiculous and I didn't believe it when I first read about it. But I gave up orange juice and my migraines disappeared. I had previously given up chocolate, aged cheese, wines, sulfites, all the usual suspects. Also you may want to try giving up tomatoes. That is not a trigger for me, but I understand it is pretty common.

thanks for the comment on citrus. I'd heard that as well but just couldn't believe it to be true. I actually started eliminating citrus last week and your comment will make me stick with it.

#13 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:51 AM

A very dear friend of mine suffered from years of very debilitating migraines... the kind that would put her in bed for days. She tried every kind of med, to no avail.

Then her mother died.

End of migraines. Period. Gone permanently. End of story.

No lie.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#14 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:02 AM

QUOTE (Resume Lady @ Jan 29 2009, 08:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A very dear friend of mine suffered from years of very debilitating migraines... the kind that would put her in bed for days. She tried every kind of med, to no avail.

Then her mother died.

End of migraines. Period. Gone permanently. End of story.

No lie.

sounds like possibly stress related and that mom was the source of the stress somehow.

or maybe just the emotional shock cured her.

#15 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:06 AM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Jan 29 2009, 09:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sounds like possibly stress related and that mom was the source of the stress somehow.

or maybe just the emotional shock cured her.

Stress. It was definitely the stress.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users