Photo
- - - - -

"bring Your Bible To School Day" In A Public School?!

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#1 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 12:18 PM

So, according to a flyer distributed by the FCUSD app, tomorrow is "Bring Your Bible to School Day" at FCUSD. While the flyer states, "This is not a Folsom Cordova Unified School District sponsored program or activity, and FCUSD accepts no liability or responsibility for this program/activity." I'm ticked off.

According to the link provided in the flyer, this is what it's about: "Welcome to Bring Your Bible to School Day! On this day -- Thursday, Oct. 8 -- thousands of students across the whole country will share God's hope and celebrate religious freedom by doing something simple, yet powerful: They'll bring their Bibles to school and talk about it with friends!"

I do not send my kids to a public school so that they can be bombarded with talk about God in middle school. This is not part of a class focused on world religions. This will not be countered with different views. This is not an after-school club that only interested people join. This is a school sanctioned event that gives strength to proselytizing at a public school, which in effect, gives approval.

I'm all for religious freedom. But keep your religion and proselytizing away from public schools. Absolutely not appropriate.

Here's the flyer that was distributed: https://data.peachja...42395894799.pdf

#2 mrdavex

mrdavex

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 12:35 PM

Doing a little research on this, it appears this is not a school sanctioned event as the disclaimer said.  It looks like Focus on the Family is behind this event (http://www.bringyourbible.org/)  nationwide on October 8.  I'm not a parent, so I'm not familiar with Peach Jar (https://www.peachjar.com), but browsing from their website, the announcement likely came from FTF and not FCUSD. While school districts can use Peach Jar for free, it also looks like private non and for-profit orgs can also send out announcements through the service for a fee, which is probably how Peach Jar makes its money.  

While I disagree with the intent of this event, I don't think there is much the schools can do if students choose to bring their bibles or other religious literature to school or talk about religion with their classmates.  I think the school can only get involved if the proselytizing is done in a harassing tone.  

--
"Let's just hope Comcast doesn't own any tanks."
-Robert X. Cringely

#3 SCA

SCA

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 01:05 PM

The district's legal counsel recommended we allow distribution of this flyer, in light of existing case law, after receiving a request from an outside group.  Teachers will not alter their instruction on Thursday.  Students may voluntarily choose to participate on their own time as long as they don't disrupt the educational environment.  As the flyer states, the district is not sponsoring or endorsing this event.  Feel free to contact me if you still have concerns.

Sarah Aquino

FCUSD Board of Education

(916)798-5380

saquino@fcusd.org

#4 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 01:08 PM

I do not send my kids to a public school so that they can be bombarded with talk about God in middle school. This is not part of a class focused on world religions. This will not be countered with different views. This is not an after-school club that only interested people join. This is a school sanctioned event that gives strength to proselytizing at a public school, which in effect, gives approval.

I'm all for religious freedom. But keep your religion and proselytizing away from public schools. Absolutely not appropriate.

Here's the flyer that was distributed: https://data.peachja...42395894799.pdf

I agree 100% with all of cw's comments. This is bizarre and certainly creates the appearance that FCUSD has sanctioned this event, or at least approved the flyer.

#5 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 01:11 PM

The district's legal counsel recommended we allow distribution of this flyer, in light of existing case law, after receiving a request from an outside group.  Teachers will not alter their instruction on Thursday.  Students may voluntarily choose to participate on their own time as long as they don't disrupt the educational environment.  As the flyer states, the district is not sponsoring or endorsing this event.  Feel free to contact me if you still have concerns.

So... the district would use Peachjar to distribute a "Bring Your Koran to School Day"? How about a flyer entitled, "All About Wicca"?

This just seems to start us down a very alarming path.

#6 SCA

SCA

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 01:24 PM

I share your concerns and asked the same question about the Koran. The district reviews all flyer requests - some are approved and some are not. As I said above, the district approved this flyer only after consulting our legal counsel.

#7 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 01:29 PM

Well, I encourage area Muslims, or any other religious group with their own sacred text, to submit a similar flyer. Then we'll let the fun begin!

I don't have a personal stake in this, because I am comfortable with my high school age kids being exposed to a variety of different viewpoints. I have faith (no pun intended) that they will use their reason to decide what belief systems make sense to them.

Nonetheless, I am shaking my head that the school district has opted to go down a path that is sure to lead to trouble.

#8 monstermovie

monstermovie

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 01:36 PM

I share your concerns and asked the same question about the Koran. The district reviews all flyer requests - some are approved and some are not. As I said above, the district approved this flyer only after consulting our legal counsel.

Well, the real test will be to duplicate the flyer, replace "Bible" with "Wicca Book of Shadows" or "Quran" and have FCUSD distribute them via PeachJar. 

Hey SCA, how much to distribute a flyer via PeachJar? 

#9 SCA

SCA

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 01:54 PM

I'm not sure of the cost. More information about Peachjar may be found here.

http://fcusd.schoolw....net/Page/17507

#10 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 02:14 PM

I tried to reach a human being at the district to discuss this, but was unable.

I am seriously considering pulling my kids from school tomorrow as a result of this. They've already been told by other kids that they are going to hell because they don't believe in Jesus. I most certainly do not want that kind of opportunity to be supported in a public school environment by the district.

That or I might declare tomorrow is "bring your reproductive rights to school day" and have them bring birth control and information about legal options and encourage them to discuss it with their friends and classmates? Just as inappropriate.

#11 EAH

EAH

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 02:55 PM

I find this extremely alarming.

Science and Sex Ed cannot be taught in some school systems because of the religious zealot agenda  but our PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM endorses( yes, you ARE actively endorsing this SCA, by allowing it to be distributed by the school district) a Bring Your Bible to school day.

Wow, so this is our tax dollars at work for us.

So so wrong on so many levels.

#12 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:08 PM

I find this extremely alarming.
Science and Sex Ed cannot be taught in some school systems because of the religious zealot agenda  but our PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM endorses( yes, you ARE actively endorsing this SCA, by allowing it to be distributed by the school district) a Bring Your Bible to school day.

Wow, so this is our tax dollars at work for us.

So so wrong on so many levels.

I completely agree but also think this is Focus on the Family fishing for a lawsuit.

#13 SCA

SCA

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:29 PM

If you were in charge of reviewing these flyer requests for the district would you have approved it outright, rejected it outright, consulted an attorney and followed his recommendation, or done something else?

Would you reject the flyer knowing that a lawsuit could be filed which could cost the taxpayers thousands of dollars?

Would you approve it and assume that few, if any, kids will actually bring a bible to school?

As one of your representatives on the school board I will be happy to share your comments and suggestions with the board and staff. I don't think there's always one clear-cut answer.

Sarah Aquino
(916)798-5380
saquino@fcusd.org

#14 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:33 PM

I had a similar reaction when I got that Peachjar email.  I'm not against a group of kids wanting to do this, much like a non-sanctioned school bible club.  I'm more pissed about getting spammed on Peachjar, which is supposed to be for school and district notifications.

That said, we get other spam for sports leagues and camps, etc., so I guess this does fall within their policy of allowing unrelated spam and doesn't necessarily mean it is an endorsement from the school system. They probably would be sued if they didn't allow this since they already allow the other crap through.  Likewise, they would be up shyt creek if they don't allow a wiccan group to do the same.

"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#15 SCA

SCA

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:50 PM

By the way, we believed we would be within our right to deny the distribution and wanted a legal opinion to support the denial. But, in fact, the District's legal counsel recommended distribution of this specific, informational flyer from this outside group in light of existing case law (Hills v. Scottsdale Unified School Dist. (2003) 329 F.3d 1044).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users