8 replies to this topic

#1 ptejhe

ptejhe

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:07 AM

Starting Monday, August 20th from 7-8pm at Lakeside Church we will be holding a 9 week DVD series from Mark Gregston called,Dealing with Today's Teens. This series will help encourage you in this journey in being a parent of a teenager, or a preteen.

When: Monday nights starting on August 20, 2012
Time: 7pm-8pm
Where: Lakeside Church, 745 Oak Avenue Parkway, Folsom - Room 216
Items needed: Dealing with Today's Teens Workbook - can be purchased at The Cove Bookstore @ Lakeside Church
Cost: The cost of the workbook only

If you have any questions please email Tina at lovingourteens@aol.com

Dealing with Today's Terns was written by Mark Gregston from Heartlight Ministries. This series will be facilitated by Tina Jacobson.

#2 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:35 AM

Another way to line pastor brad's pocket I'm sure. THis church is run like a corporation with a corporate culture in my opnion. Myself and several friends have had really bad experiences when we attended. When a family member was dying I asked if the pastor Brad or someone could visit my family member and pray for them etc. I got the run around for a week and then was told to ask someone from my small group to help. First, I didn't have time for a small group and second, this was their way to pawn off any "work" to other members. I would love to see how much the pastor and their speakers make. Do they publish this info? Do the funds pay for vacations (retreats as they like to call them) their house, utilities etc. This church is like entertainment with a Chirstian vibe from what I experienced.
Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#3 ptejhe

ptejhe

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:03 AM

This series will not cost you anything, other than
purchasing the workbook. However, you can also come and take
notes rather than follow along in the workbook if you desire. I do hope you will join us on August 20th. I think you will really enjoy Mark Gregston and his series on parenting & guiding teenagers. This is also a great if you have preteens too.

#4 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:07 AM

A lot of different churches are recommending this program for parents of teenagers. I looked into the Heartlight Ministries webpage and read a few of their 'parenting todays teens' newsletters and weekly subjects. I do not see anything secretly coded in the newsletters that is going to make Lakeside church and pastors rich. In fact, a quick google of the book brought up five different churches currently using the same book for their parenting classes and charging the same amount of money.

I'm not sure how much time and personal investment some people choose to put into their church and fellowship with-in the church; but I have found that there is a balance between personal investment of time, and moral support in gains. I have not ever found someone super happy with their church if they are just weekend warriors, regardless of the church they attend. Going to church and being a member of a church is a lifestyle commitment. The more you invest into that lifestyle, the greater the rewards. If Lakesides's style of leadership leaves you dissatisfied in their services then the church may not be a good fit for you. Or, perhaps you do not understand the way the church is organized. If that is the case they have a class for new members call Lakeside 101. I recommend you go ti, it will help you understand the church's services.

Anyway, I would like to attend this teen parenting class, if I am able to set the time aside. I understand that the response has been positive by many families. Certainly many of the subjects appear to be common threads in the developmental relationships of teens and parents.

#5 homesweethomes

homesweethomes

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:01 AM

Do you know when this class will be offered again? I would like to take this class and I know this post was back in July. I really need something like this.

#6 stacycam

stacycam

blah blah blah

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:28 AM

Me, too! I don't remember seeing this the first time around.

#7 ptejhe

ptejhe

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:46 PM

Hi everyone!

If you are interested in doing this class again I will post it again next Spring. I will also be working on facilitating another class, but I am reviewing the material. In the meantime, I highly recommend getting & reading the book "Tough Guys & Drama Queens" by Mark Gregston. He writes about a lot of the things that we discussed in the "Dealing with Today's Teens" class.

PM me for more information!

Tina :)

#8 homesweethomes

homesweethomes

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

Hi everyone!

If you are interested in doing this class again I will post it again next Spring. I will also be working on facilitating another class, but I am reviewing the material. In the meantime, I highly recommend getting & reading the book "Tough Guys & Drama Queens" by Mark Gregston. He writes about a lot of the things that we discussed in the "Dealing with Today's Teens" class.

PM me for more information!

Thank you for the information. I sent a reply to the email but Im not sure if you received it or it went to an unknown box since it was through this site. But thank you. I so need this.

#9 ptejhe

ptejhe

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:21 PM

Hi there~

Please feel free to email me at ptejhe@aol.com. I am available to talk with you and listen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users