23 replies to this topic

#16 folsom44

folsom44

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:33 PM

I am curious....has it been less expensive for people to pay someone to refinish versus just replacing the vanities? I don't know what labor costs are for refinishing??

#17 mrdavex

mrdavex

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 02:37 PM

I am curious....has it been less expensive for people to pay someone to refinish versus just replacing the vanities? I don't know what labor costs are for refinishing??

Since I refinished myself, I don't know what the labor costs for refinishing are.  I recall Home Depot offers a refinishing service for cabinets called nHance.

Replacing a vanity would involve demo of the countertop, sink, and existing vanity, and then the labor costs of reinstalling the new ones.  Plus if your bathroom could not fit a stock vanity, you would have to custom order.  IMHO, the floor package deals (Vanity + countertop + sink) you see at Home Depot or Lowe's may look good from a far, but feel quite flimsy up close.  If you were planning to replace the counter anyway, replacing the vanity probably wouldn't cost much more.  But if you were fine with your counter, then you could probably save by refinishing.  

--
"Let's just hope Comcast doesn't own any tanks."
-Robert X. Cringely

#18 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:16 PM

IMHO, the floor package deals (Vanity + countertop + sink) you see at Home Depot or Lowe's may look good from a far, but feel quite flimsy up close.  If you were planning to replace the counter anyway, replacing the vanity probably wouldn't cost much more.  But if you were fine with your counter, then you could probably save by refinishing.  

And the reviews on those items are terrible.

I've had this discussion with my contractor, but haven't moved forward yet.

#19 Marfong

Marfong

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 06:05 AM

so....I finally had the work done today. I had the banjo shelf cut off, the edge sanded, the mirror left intact & the wall touched up...and it looks great!! No need to hurry into a redo. I love my handyman, Matt Donato! :)
I'm also starting to think I really don't need a high end toilet. the Kohler Cimmeron is really nice!

I have same situation. Thinking about cutting shelf to accommodate new toilet. Are you able to post a pic of what you had done?

Thanks,
Robert

#20 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 10:51 AM

We have the same situation.

When I had to change the guts inside the tank, I disconnected the water and actually unbolted the stool from

the floor and took it out.

I replaced the guts inside the tank, replaced the wax ring and put it back in and hooked it up.

Saved a lot of money.

I do hate the banjo top though.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#21 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 11:28 AM

We have the same situation.

When I had to change the guts inside the tank, I disconnected the water and actually unbolted the stool from
the floor and took is out.

I replaced the guts inside the tank, replaced the wax ring and put it back in and hooked it up.

Saved a lot of money.

I do hate the banjo top though.

You probably didn't have to unbolt entire unit from the floor. I had a problem couple years ago and just removed the tank portion and fixed the issue inside the tank and then reattached it. Unless you have a unit that is one solid, complete unit.

And, yes, whoever had the idea to extend the counter over the toilet wasn't thinking.

#22 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:53 AM

I have same situation. Thinking about cutting shelf to accommodate new toilet. Are you able to post a pic of what you had done?

I dont know how to post a picture. 

If you are on facebook or are willing to share your cell phone#, I'd be happy to send you the picture by IM.

I'm so happy I didnt waste my money on a high end toilet as well! 

#23 keyplayer

keyplayer

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:music, ballet, scuba diving in tropical locations, bicycling, crusing on the bike (BMW1200LT)

Posted 25 May 2016 - 07:36 PM

Check Pacific sales for the Toto this weekend.  Memorial day sale.  They have had pretty good prices in the past.  That's not something that I would buy online either.  We  have installed 6 or them, 2 different houses.  Most came from Plumbing Unique (can't beat the customer service) but the have changed names. We haven't had a need for anything since the change.  It is still managed but the same person. Now called Premier Bath and Kitchen.  Pay attention to the details on the Drake.  It comes in different heights and water use amounts.  The taller height feels weird at first but it is great for old knees.

#24 (RobertAbdo)

(RobertAbdo)
  • Visitors

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:30 AM

Thanks for the ideas! :BURNOUT:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users