32 replies to this topic

#1 sunnyCA

sunnyCA

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 06:43 AM

Despite a flyer that went out last week from the district noting construction routes, etc., apparently the Vista stadium work is on hold.  The word is that bids came in too high and the district doesn't know how it will fund the stadium. 

The next school board meeting is 4/21 for those interested in the issue. It's frustrating that the 2 high schools do not have comparable facilities. Hopefully the Vista stadium gets built sooner rather than later. Each year that passes is a class that can't play at their home field...

#2 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:40 AM

Ugh...  You would think there is no money in this town at the rate this is moving forward.  What's really sad is that a beautiful field like this which already has lights is ONLY being used for practice.  Such a waste.

Wasn't there a measure that passed just last year to fund this?

#3 rickster

rickster

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:58 AM

Here is the message that went out to all the parents:

DATE:      March 31, 2016

TO:           Vista del Lago High School Students, Staff, Parents and Neighbors

RE:            Notification of Construction With Potential to Encounter Naturally Occurring Asbestos (NOA)-Containing Soil at Vista del Lago High School

Thanks to the Folsom voters that passed Measure G in 2014, the Folsom Cordova Unified School District is able to commence with the stadium improvements at Vista del Lago High School.  The improvements include stadium bleachers, field house, restrooms and a snack bar.  The construction work will include excavation of soils that may contain NOA.

Work in the project area will include:

• Removal/excavation of surface pavement and clean-cap soils
  • Excavation and stockpiling of native soil
  • Construction of retaining walls, foundations, bleachers, field house, and associated infrastructure/utilities
  • Placement of surface pavements and/or clean-cap soils over soil disturbance areas

To maintain construction timelines and complete work before winter, work is expected to begin on April 11, 2016, and continue through December 2016. Excavation and/or grading of native soils is anticipated to take place primarily during the period of April through August 2016.  The work will follow the Standard Operating Procedures provided in the school’s Operations and Maintenance (O&M) Plan approved by the California Department of Toxic Substances Control, including strict adherence to dust control and other mitigation measures for the safety of students, staff, and construction workers. Air monitoring will be performed during soil disturbance activities to evaluate effectiveness of dust control measures. Physical education and other school activities will not be conducted in the direct vicinity of the site during construction hours. Construction work will include periodic construction equipment entering the site from Caversham Drive. 

The District and Roebbelen Construction Management Services (construction manager for the project) will strive to keep construction noise and inconveniences to residents, students and staff to a minimum.  Construction noise should be limited to the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.  We encourage reporting of construction related issues or questions be made to the District’s Facilities and Planning Department at (916) 294-9010 so that we can attempt to resolve the issues promptly.

File attachments:
Exhibit 8ax Site Access Plan.pdf

#4 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 09:43 AM

How do you get this far and pull the plug at the last minute because the bids came in too high? Wouldn't a sensible person send something like this AFTER the contracts were signed?

#5 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 11 April 2016 - 09:55 AM

Wouldn't a sensible person send something like this AFTER the contracts were signed?

Yes.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#6 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:50 PM

Wouldn't a sensible person include necessary facilities during the original construction?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#7 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 01:03 PM

Wouldn't a sensible person include necessary facilities during the original construction?

Just remember, when you are dealing with "school district people", you are also dealing with "quasi-Govt people". And Govt people have never been accused of being sensible people.

Just connecting the dots, folks.

#8 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 04:10 PM

Give the school board another pay raise....
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#9 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 11 April 2016 - 05:18 PM

Yes.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#10 SCA

SCA

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 09:39 PM

The bids for the stadium came in about 20% over budget. The board agreed to table the awarding of the bids until the next meeting on April 21. At 5:00pm on the 21st we're going to have a study session (open to the public) to review all the projects slated to be completed with Measure G funds. If we spend $2,000,000 more on the stadium project than was initially budgeted that is $2,000,000 we have to cut somewhere else. Staff is going to propose some funding alternatives for the remaining bond issuances and we'll also discuss ways to reduce construction costs to stretch the Measure G funds as far as we possibly can.

As far as notifyng neighbors about the impending construction, I agree it would have been better to wait until the bids were awarded.

#11 olivia

olivia

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 06:48 PM

Give the school board another pay raise....

No, I think Bettencourt needs another raise....

#12 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 09:30 PM

The bids for the stadium came in about 20% over budget. The board agreed to table the awarding of the bids until the next meeting on April 21. At 5:00pm on the 21st we're going to have a study session (open to the public) to review all the projects slated to be completed with Measure G funds. If we spend $2,000,000 more on the stadium project than was initially budgeted that is $2,000,000 we have to cut somewhere else. Staff is going to propose some funding alternatives for the remaining bond issuances and we'll also discuss ways to reduce construction costs to stretch the Measure G funds as far as we possibly can.

As far as notifyng neighbors about the impending construction, I agree it would have been better to wait until the bids were awarded.

FWIW I am not a neighbor of Vista but have kids that go there. It's funny how FHS can replace their football field at a cost of a million + but Vista can't even get bleacher seats since day one of the school being built. At least the pool is heated now. But I guess that's what successful sports programs can bring in...$$$$$$$.

And if I made a "mistake" like this notice at my job there'd be more to pay than just a half-hearted "whoops." But then again, school district. 

#13 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 04:22 PM

The stadium upgrades and bleachers were approved.  Construction should be happening any day now.

"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#14 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:49 PM

Woohoo...

#15 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member