6 replies to this topic

#1 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 04:00 PM

Folks, was walking up on Carpenter Hill today, up by the towers and ran into a snake.  Thought it was a Rattler at first due to the pattern but then I saw the tail and no rattles, then I saw the head as he poked up to look at me, about 4 feet away.  Head was not broad but more streamlined and pointed, like a Garter Snake shape head.  Pretty sure it was a King Snake.  About 3 feet long and 1.5 inches thick.  Kings are out so it means Rattlers are too....!   Be careful, stick to the trails and pay attention, that time of year again.   Chris

1A - 2A = -1A

#2 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 06:32 PM

King. They are the good ones I let go

#3 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 06:32 AM

Kings are good rodent controllers, so are Rattlers........   I kill neither, have a nice tool, snake tongs, I leave the Kings alone.   I put the Rattlers in backyards of neighbors I don't like.....   Actually, I like all of my neighbors....

I take them way out to open space and let them go.....   Chris

1A - 2A = -1A

#4 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 06:49 AM

Kings will eat other snakes including rattlers.

#5 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 08:23 PM

We have had two rattlesnakes in our neighborhood this year already.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#6 ghost35me

ghost35me

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 08:44 AM

Are you guys in established neighborhoods? Or back up into large green zones?  Alarming to see rattlesnakes in established neighborhoods.

How migratory are rattlesnakes? Do they tend to say in one area? Or do they try to travel around in search of food?  I've always wondered if it would be nice to have some sort of map with rattlesnake sightings so that people could be more aware and especially cautious in those known areas.  Kind of like how they map crime incidents.

#7 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 07:37 PM

Are you guys in established neighborhoods? Or back up into large green zones?  Alarming to see rattlesnakes in established neighborhoods.

How migratory are rattlesnakes? Do they tend to say in one area? Or do they try to travel around in search of food?  I've always wondered if it would be nice to have some sort of map with rattlesnake sightings so that people could be more aware and especially cautious in those known areas.  Kind of like how they map crime incidents.

You aren't likely to see them in neighborhoods that aren't near open space or creeks.  But always good to be aware.  I know they find them regularly around Mercy Hospital and they used to be around Home Depot, but that was likely more when they were building the surrounding area out. 

They move at sunrise and sunset usually.  Rattlesnakes move in spring and fall in and out of hibernation.  Once they set up a territory, they tend to stay there for a while.  

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users