13 replies to this topic

#1 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:43 PM

Has this subject already been discussed?  Residents of the old part of town around the historic district and around Lake Natoma have been hearing very loud explosions over the last year or so.  They tend to be one or two blasts only, late at night and not accompanied by any flashes or other noise.  These are not gun shots, fire works or fire crackers.  They are like small bombs going on.  Lately they have been strong enough to echo and reverberate throughout the canyon.  They usually occur about an hour to two hours after sunset.  Its very difficult to get an effective police response (although they tell people to call them in) because this is happening apparently in forested areas areas where they can't be observed and where they can flee before a police car can respond.  

The blasts seem to be getting more powerful, although its somewhat difficult to tell.  

I apologize if there is already a thread about this.  I just wasn't sure how to do a subject search.  Its a little concerning because it would seem someone has a fascination or hobby building bombs and, if they are getting bigger, where is this leading?

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#2 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:19 PM

Has this subject already been discussed?  Residents of the old part of town around the historic district and around Lake Natoma have been hearing very loud explosions over the last year or so.  They tend to be one or two blasts only, late at night and not accompanied by any flashes or other noise.  These are not gun shots, fire works or fire crackers.  They are like small bombs going on.  Lately they have been strong enough to echo and reverberate throughout the canyon.  They usually occur about an hour to two hours after sunset.  Its very difficult to get an effective police response (although they tell people to call them in) because this is happening apparently in forested areas areas where they can't be observed and where they can flee before a police car can respond.  

The blasts seem to be getting more powerful, although its somewhat difficult to tell.  

I apologize if there is already a thread about this.  I just wasn't sure how to do a subject search.  Its a little concerning because it would seem someone has a fascination or hobby building bombs and, if they are getting bigger, where is this leading?

We've heard the explosions as well.  Kind of sounds like an M-80 except magnified about 200 times.  I called one in on the non-emergency line a little over a year ago, but the reaction from the person on the phone was, "Why are you calling us?" so I don't bother to call anymore.  Whatever it is, it's really strange.

#3 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:47 AM

We've heard the explosions as well.  Kind of sounds like an M-80 except magnified about 200 times.  I called one in on the non-emergency line a little over a year ago, but the reaction from the person on the phone was, "Why are you calling us?" so I don't bother to call anymore.  Whatever it is, it's really strange.

Do you think they are getting bigger? Our neighbors seem to think the blasts are more powerful. Think someone us experimenting?

#4 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:53 AM

Do you think they are getting bigger? Our neighbors seem to think the blasts are more powerful. Think someone us experimenting?

I can't say why it's happening, but you'd think after so many explosions there would be something left behind.  I haven't noticed them getting louder, but the second time we heard it there was a flash.  I thought maybe it was a transformer, and for sure we would hear fire trucks soon after, but nothing.  No power outage either.

Do you think it's coming from the rodeo grounds?  The first time I heard it I thought maybe it was coming from the Masonic Lodge parking lot or Powerhouse Ministries area, but it was hard to tell.

#5 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 11:09 AM

it sounds like its coming from the open space along the lake natoma.  no flashes though.

#6 maestro

maestro

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 11:24 AM

it sounds like its coming from the open space along the lake natoma.  no flashes though.

Only explanation for "no flashes" is explosions are happening underground.

Explosions at 2 to 3 am,  multiple times during July 2017 ---  sounds like

underground operation done in secrecy.

Suggestion of amateur bomb makers is not viable.   No one goes into rattlesnake territory

in the dark of night, especially not the hot nights July 2017 when these occurred more often.

Also having problem along American River with weapons firing.   Eyeball witness saw

reflection of the flashes from a car exiting our neighborhood, while we heard weapon fire.

1 final note:  FPD dismisses reports as "firecrackers".   Don't they know fireworks

and weaponry use the same explosive materials.   That both can cause catastrophic fire?

#7 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 06:48 PM

1 final note:  FPD dismisses reports as "firecrackers".   Don't they know fireworks

and weaponry use the same explosive materials.   That both can cause catastrophic fire?

Actually they do not, not in the very least.   Just look it up.   Rarely do firearms cause a fire, only unless you are shooting steel jacketed ammo or steel core ammo near a combustible source such as grass fields etc. and you happen to strike a rock and make a spark.   Smart people do not do this, responsible fire arms owners know not to do this.   Two extremely different things, very different things with very different energy sources.   I shoot all the time, know my stuff. Ever shot a gun....?   Have not started a fire in 50 years of shooting guns and shotguns.   If you have then maybe you know your stuff...?   From your post I think not.   Chris  

1A - 2A = -1A

#8 BIG PAKO

BIG PAKO

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:32 AM

Yep!!!

We heard them Several times. 2 and 3 days after fourth of July. Very loud. Not the first time either. 

BTW, we're parallel to Sibley, between Glenn Dr. & Lembi Dr (behind the Walmart). Wife suggested I call FPD, to report, but I think the only information I could provide would be very vague.

#9 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:53 PM

Another huge explosion tonight about 10:50.

#10 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:19 PM

Another huge explosion tonight about 10:50.

I heard it as well.  Ten minutes to 11:00 on Sunday night.  Glad to know I'm not the only one hearing these.

#11 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:44 PM

Maybe if we note them each time we can figure out a pattern.

#12 maestro

maestro

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:20 PM

I heard it as well.  Ten minutes to 11:00 on Sunday night.  Glad to know I'm not the only one hearing these.

Fairly sure that short burst, less loud, less shaking, much shorter wave pattern,  was sonic boom.

#13 Who_Do_You_Trust

Who_Do_You_Trust

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:15 PM

IMO, every time this happens, you should contact FPD.  If enough people start calling them, they won't be able to ignore it.  Flood the FPD phone lines.  Send them emails.  Police Chief email address is on the Folsom website.  Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Someone mentioned it might be kids or young adults experimenting with various materials that explode.  This is plausible to me, because I did stuff like this when I was a kid.  We used to steal chemicals from the high school chemistry lab and build things that exploded (1960's).  then we'd set them off in an old cemetery that was close to my friend's house.  Great fun!!  Felony today.

#14 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:59 PM

Thursday night, 11:30. Single blast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users