2 replies to this topic

#1 olivia

olivia

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 10:13 AM

Several of my neighbors are going to have our original fencing replaced? We're in NS, although I'm not sure specific Folsom location is part of determining the expense.  I'm curious, for replacing a 6 ft picket, good-neighbor fence, 5" wide dog-eared boards, what was your cost /ft, including demo and using 4x4 posts in concrete?  Was this a recent job, or older than a year ago?  Thanks for the input.

#2 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 10:20 AM

I can't remember the footage price, but recommend you consider getting steel posts instead of 4X4s.  The weakest part of any fence is the post and its the most expensive to replace, so if you get a strong one, you won't have to replace it in years to come.  We have used Freedom Fence many times in Folsom and have been happy with their work and price.

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#3 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 11:56 AM

If you go through a fencing company, it will probably run you 25 dollars or more per foot labor and materials (steel poles and screws). Material costs are at least half of that.

I would second the opinion of getting steel posts in concrete. You will NEVER have to replace them. I know z posts are rated for 73 mph winds, will not rust or rot and will last far longer than your fence. Not much more expensive than wood.

I would also demand that the fence be screwed to the rails instead of nailed. Nails will work out in a couple seasons.  Also, figure a couple hundred extra for access gates, and add a bit more for rv gates.  You can have them build the gates with steel brackets to prevent the inevitable sagging due to seasonal weather extremes.  Another thing to consider, most fences are shared with neighbors. Both my rear and side neighbors offered to split the costs when I approached them. Good luck!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users