• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:41 AM

Fellow soldiers call Bowe Bergdahl a deserter, not a hero

The family of U.S. Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl was overjoyed when President Barack Obama personally called them Saturday and gave them the news they were desperately hoping to hear: Their son, captured by the Taliban in 2009, was still alive. And he was finally coming home.

“We cannot wait to wrap our arms around our only son,” Bergdahl’s parents, Bob and Jani Bergdahl, said in a statement, thanking supporters and those who helped secure his return without a single shot fired.

“And of course, we want to take this opportunity to thank all those in the many U.S. Government agencies who never gave up,” the statement continued. “Today, we are ecstatic!”

// read more below //

http://www.nbcnews.c...eleased-n119271

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#2 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:47 AM

Will we ever know if it was worth giving up five prisoners from Guantanamo Bay to get him back?

Hope this does not set a precedence for future negotiations.

Fellow soldiers call Bowe Bergdahl a deserter, not a hero.

The sense of pride expressed by officials of the Obama administration at the release of Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl is not shared by many of those who served with him -- veterans and soldiers who call him a deserter whose "selfish act" ended up costing the lives of better men.

"I was pissed off then and I am even more so now with everything going on," said former Sgt. Matt Vierkant, a member of Bergdahl's platoon when he went missing on June 30, 2009. "Bowe Bergdahl deserted during a time of war and his fellow Americans lost their lives searching for him."

Vierkant said Bergdahl needs to not only acknowledge his actions publicly but face a military trial for desertion under the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

A reporter asked Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel Sunday whether Bergdahl had left his post without permission or deserted -- and, if so, whether he would be punished. Hagel didn't answer directly. "Our first priority is assuring his well-being and his health and getting him reunited with his family," he said. "Other circumstances that may develop and questions, those will be dealt with later."

// read the rest and watch video below //

http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_t1

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#3 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:10 AM

Is the U.S. negotiating with terrorists?
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

National Security Adviser Susan Rice on whether the negotiations for the release of Army Sgt. encourage future terror.

// Check out this video //

http://www.cnn.com/v...orists.cnn.html

#4 TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:20 PM

He is an AWOL deserter who wanted to join the Taliban. Apparently his dad supports the Taliban too.

The deserter cost soldiers lives as they looked for him.

Both the son and dad can go to hell. Obama's a fool for negotiating with terrorists and freeing 5 very evil murderers so they can all kill again.

Svzr2FS.jpg

#5 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:25 PM

He is an AWOL deserter who wanted to join the Taliban. Apparently his dad supports the Taliban too.

The deserter cost soldiers lives as they looked for him.

Both the son and dad can go to hell. Obama's a fool for negotiating with terrorists and freeing 5 very evil murderers so they can all kill again.

Always odd timing with the Ob admin - just "mistakenly" outed to the top CIA guy in Afghanistan, the VA is in shambles (did they take this traitor there?) and the Prez is celebrating and hugging his Taliban support father. Just pathetic but all part of the plan it seems.

#6 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:47 PM

Congress should have been notified.  They made the its an emergency excuse, but its ALWAYS an emergency.  There are guidelines and policies for a reason.  This stinks. 

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#7 giacomo

giacomo

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Interests:Wine, good food, goof friends traveling to Hawaii, soccer, 70's/80's music, , Lake Tahoe

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:52 PM

Since when does the US negotiate with terrorists??? Only Obama's administration would. How I miss Ronald Reagan!  

And Susan Rice doing the talk show circuit on Sunday, trying to keep a straight face and  telling everyone how Qatar has given the White House assurances they will closely monitor these 5 scumbags for a year as that was part of the negotiation. What a sweet deal and they get to stay in Qatar, one of the richest countries in the middle East, so I'm sure they'll be just fine. Only time will tell if it was worth swapping 5 known terrorist for 1 soldier who either deserted his post  or went awol.  There has to be more to this story than what we've been told

#8 giacomo

giacomo

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Interests:Wine, good food, goof friends traveling to Hawaii, soccer, 70's/80's music, , Lake Tahoe

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:02 PM

According to CNN, 6 U.S. Soldiers were killed while searching for Bowe Bergdahl after his mysterious disappearance. If indeed he deserted his post, he definitely should face a military trial

#9 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:07 PM

I haven't followed this whole story.

What is the evidence that the soldier and his father were Taliban supporters?

What is the evidence that he abandoned his post and went to join the Taliban?

#10 AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:16 PM

Don't we have a political section of the forum for this stuff? 

Kimberly Purcell
Productivity Consultant - Amethyst Productivity

#11 Homer

Homer

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:16 PM

According to CNN, 6 U.S. Soldiers were killed while searching for Bowe Bergdahl after his mysterious disappearance. If indeed he deserted his post, he definitely should face a military trial

I hope that the Obama admin. didn't do this for political reasons, If Bergdahi deserted which according to numerous news reports seems to be the case he should be held accountable for the deaths of the six soldiers who died looking for him.

#12 Homer

Homer

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:24 PM

I haven't followed this whole story.

What is the evidence that the soldier and his father were Taliban supporters?

What is the evidence that he abandoned his post and went to join the Taliban?

I don't know about the Taliban supporter charges, But there has been numerous news stories about him walking away from his post without his weapon in the MSM since he went missing. Of course it's a good thing that he was released, However if it turns out that he deserted it's not worth the six lives of the hero's that died looking for him or the release of the 5 sub-human  terrorists from gitmo.

#13 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:37 PM

In response to Amethyst--I for one am pleased to see some interesting topics on the Board. I don't see this as inherently political-- all of us should be interested in the *facts* about this situation, and the conclusions will flow from there.

I have a lot of questions: Is it true he deserted and if so, why? Why did he join the army in the first place (if in fact he was sympathetic to the Taliban)? Did his fellow soldiers have a negative opinion of him before he supposedly deserted?

I hope we will learn the true facts. I do agree with those who say that if he was a deserter, he is to blame for the American lives lost looking for him. But I would like to know all the facts and circumstances first.

#14 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:40 PM

His Dad, speaking in the Rose Garden of the White House, opened up with an Islamic prayer, in Arabic (or Pashtu maybe?).....   Beard and all.....

Makes you wonder what is going on with this man and his family....?

And what about the six US soldiers who died trying to find this guy in the weeks afterward....?   I don't think their parents got an invite to the White House or a plane ride there courtesy of a military plane....

Just what are we doing here...?  Honoring deserters, inviting their parents to the White House while six real Warriors are dead and their parents sit at home and watch it all on TV.    So sad.    Chris

p.s.   At least we are not talking about the terrible VA hospitals anymore.   Way to go O'bummer and our progressive press corps.....! Timing is everything

1A - 2A = -1A

#15 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:09 PM

It cost a lot more than the six dead soldiers that have been mentioned- many more lives were affected.  I saw this article earlier and then could not find it until just now... it is well worth the read... This guy is no hero.... He is one pathetic traitor and guilty of more than 20 deaths- direct and indirect...

http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_t2

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users