guns

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:20 PM

I have never owned a handgun and just have my flare gun, spear gun and trident by my bed for some level of protection.

I am seriously considering getting a hand gun for self defense and have no real plans to use it otherwise.

I had considered a rifle as they seemed to cost less but I had seen a Hi-Point hand gun at the gun show this last weekend and saw that they are less than $200 - and looking further , find some less than $150.

Here is a link to one store locally that carries them.   http://survivalinsti...anufacturer=209

and here is one review on the 9c- the one that I was looking at.  http://www.handgunsm...oint-c9-review/

Any major reason I should not get one ?

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#2 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:01 PM

I suppose having a defense weapon is better than not. Reviews for Hi Point are all over the place. Some have no issues, some have many. The biggest concern I would have would be with the size of the slide. Some reviewers claim that the slide impacts their thumb, and tries to take skin with it. That would be very painful, but I'm sure that varies hand to hand. I once had a 45 that had a hammer that would sting my hand. Not a good feature!

Others don't like the feel of the safety and find it hard to disengage. Again, a factor of hand/finger size and strength.

Basically, you want something reliable that is comfortable enough to use when you practice at the range. If your hand is sore after a few magazines, it's probably not a good deal.

I have never shot a HiPoint, but I have shot a fairly wide variety of hand guns. One of my favorites is the M&P compact 9. It just fits my hand great, is accurate (especially for a short barrel), has moderate kick and has never failed to properly cycle. Plus it is cheap and fun to shoot, which means you will practice with it more. It is also about 3 times the price of the HiPoint. Still a good deal.

The best thing to do would be to go to a gun range and fire a few different models to get a feel for what you like or don't like. You may even want to consider a shotgun, as there is less requirement for accuracy and less chance of a stray bullet penetrating walls and continuing (although that can be mitigated somewhat).

If you are unfamiliar with handgun use and safety, I definitely recommend a class. There are online classes for about 20 bucks to hands on courses that run 150.  Good luck!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#3 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:37 PM

shotguns are the best.  any intruder would run just hearing you cock it.  load it with birdshot.  you don't have to aim.  just point and shoot. 

that said, you are likely never ever going to need it, especially here in Folsom.  Do you feel more vulnerable because you are alone now?  That is natural.  Maybe give yourself some time and see if you still feel you want it in six months.  A barking dog is the best deterrent and they like to cuddle too!  :)

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#4 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 08:36 PM

You are likely never going to need it, BUT it is better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it. I have loaded  a weapon with intent to defend only twice in my life, but once was here in Folsom. The other was in another "nice neighborhood" in SoCal. One somebody was trying to break in, and the other, somebody busted through my fence into the back yard being chased by police. That was in Folsom. It all depends what you are comfortable with. Guns are not for everyone. You could also consider pepper spray, tasers, or your trusty trident (I'd like to see that police report!)

Brick Tamland played by Folsom 500... lol

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#5 Tyto Alba

Tyto Alba

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 09:33 PM

I have never owned a handgun and just have my flare gun, spear gun and trident by my bed for some level of protection.

I am seriously considering getting a hand gun for self defense and have no real plans to use it otherwise.

I had considered a rifle as they seemed to cost less but I had seen a Hi-Point hand gun at the gun show this last weekend and saw that they are less than $200 - and looking further , find some less than $150.

Here is a link to one store locally that carries them.   http://survivalinsti...anufacturer=209

and here is one review on the 9c- the one that I was looking at.  http://www.handgunsm...oint-c9-review/

Any major reason I should not get one ?

Are you opened to spending more money?   Springfield sells a very nice 9 MM semi auto for around $600.     It is a really nice gun and they shoot excellent.    Smith and Wesson has been known for great revolvers in past decades but their semi auto guns are excellent and getting better.   Check with STS guns.  They have the models on display and they will let you handle the weapon.      I had an interest in revolvers in the past but after I shot the modern semi autos.......the modern semi autos will make you forget about revolvers and any lower end gun.    I do not think you should go "low end" or the 1970's term "saturday night special" on a firearm your going to depend your life on.    

There are very reasonable priced classes you can take to get a "conceal to carry" permit in Sacramento County.   They can inform you on the current laws,  when legal to draw weapon,  and train you about the workings of the gun.   The semi auto for me took more practice than the revolver due to the the magazine reload.     Reloading the weapon takes practice,  managing the magazines and topping them off with loose rounds.    Another thing you can do is go to an indoor  firing range and rent the weapon your thinking about purchasing.      They have a nice indoor range in Elk Grove (near Grantline and 99).   The gun shops also sell fake rounds called "snap caps" where you can practice reloading your magazines at home.       It is important to practice loading magazines with rounds,  exchanging magazines and drawing the weapon properly.    This could save valuable seconds in a panic situation.

It would be nice if the City of Folsom had an indoor firing range.....but that is another story.

#6 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:15 PM

I personally would consider your at hand weaponry plenty for where you live, but I wouldn't want to infringe on your desire to purchase more. I just think that you're pretty well covered. Rest tight tonight. Xoxo

#7 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:36 AM

Guns are not the first place I look to "bargain" shop.  You really need to spend ~$500 minimum for a good quality handgun.

Practice, practice, practice is what its all about.  Recommend going out to a local range such as Cordova.  They have many makes and models of handguns that you can rent and try out to find the one you like prior to purchasing.

If this is primarily "home" defense a shotgun may be a better option.

#8 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:02 AM

shotguns are the best.  any intruder would run just hearing you cock it.  load it with birdshot.  you don't have to aim.  just point and shoot. 

that said, you are likely never ever going to need it, especially here in Folsom.  Do you feel more vulnerable because you are alone now?  That is natural.  Maybe give yourself some time and see if you still feel you want it in six months.  A barking dog is the best deterrent and they like to cuddle too!  :)

I agree with this. I gave my 30-40 Krag (rifle) and an old antique revolver to my brother 2 years ago.

So now I don't have a gun. My wife hates them.

If I was going to have a gun for defense of my home, I would purchase a 12 gauge pump gun.

And like you said you can just point and shoot from the hip.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#9 Howdy

Howdy

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:43 AM

heck...even Joe Biden recommends a shotgun. 

#10 Robert Gary

Robert Gary

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:15 AM

Whatever you get you'll want to get training in how to handle it. A shotgun is easier to handle than a handgun. As to which is better for personal home protection, that's a bit of a religious discussion. :)

#11 firemedic238

firemedic238

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:57 AM

Fully agree a shotgun is the way to go. Just the sound of a shotgun being "racked" will solve 99% of the problems. Even Bears know that sound. If you do pull the trigger, Bird shot, unless at close range, stays in the body. sheet rock will stop most of the shot. in a defensive shoot, it better be in your house or just outside of it !  Bullets on the other hand, will penetrate multiple walls, car's and bodies. Hand guns are for close contact and may require multi shots to take down the threat ,thats why cop's normally fire multi shots. I have seen many gun shot victim's over the years,  a 22 cal. will kill a person just as well as any high power round if the shooter knows what they are doing. Also a blast of a shotgun offend drops the person and they more offend then not stay down, even if they could get up. Who loads a shotgun with just one shell?

One last thought, If you have to use a weapon, don't you want the best, not a cheap weapon you can't trust?

#12 Robert Gary

Robert Gary

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:18 AM

They do make shotgun rounds specifically for home protection that mushroom out to stop them from penetrating walls. You really don't want to miss an intruder and have the bullet fly through a wall and hit a family member. Unless you happen to hit a stud drywall does little to slow a bullet.

-Robert

#13 TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:54 AM

Shotgun. Be sure to practice occasionally.

Svzr2FS.jpg

#14 BuffaloRon

BuffaloRon

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:26 PM

Folsom500, I suggest you buy whatever you want or whatever makes you comfortable. It's a personal choice. Just remember that you get what you pay for, so don't cheap out.

#15 JohhnyCash

JohhnyCash

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:34 PM

If  you purchase a firearm make sure you practice practice practice with it.  My brother in-law bought a 12 gauge for home defense but had not ever fired it.  I had to take him out and teach him how to use it.  Gawd, can you imagine being in a defense situation and not even knowing how to load the weapon?

All that said, consider a taser for a couple of reasons.  #1 People tend to fear a taser more than a firearm. #2 Lighting someone up with a taser does not carry the same consequence as using a firearm.  #3  You need not hesitate using the taser as the consequences are much less.

JC

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: guns

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users