• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 w00t

w00t

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 02:52 PM

Anyone know the rules and regulations concerning the high school kiddies parking their cars in the Pairie Oaks neighborhoods? I live relatively close to the school and every morning I see kids park in front of my house and walk to school with backpacks on, it's like clockwork every morning...

Anyone else have these problems? To be honest, I wouldn't care but they always leave behind trash and cigarette butts.

-w00t

#2 benning

benning

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 02:57 PM

http://www.folsomtel...s/06parking.txt
There is an article (above link) in the Telegraph about it this morning. Apparantly it's legal. My sister lives near a high school in Modesto and managed to get a 'no parking' ordinance passed in her immediate neighborhood.

I don't think it's going to go away anytime soon. Maybe you should sell lattes or English essays or something on the curbside.

I know a student who parked in front of someone's house but he was polite enough to knock on the homeowner's door and ask permission.
"L'essential est invisible pour les yeux."

#3 w00t

w00t

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 03:10 PM

QUOTE(benning @ Sep 7 2005, 03:57 PM)
http://www.folsomtel...s/06parking.txt
There is an article (above link) in the Telegraph about it this morning.

Benning - thanks for the article!

Although I'm not happy about the contents, looks like there is nothing that can be done at this point and nothing planned in the immediate future. The parking permits also don't seem to be the answer, it's a pain for everyone.

Are they parking in the neighborhoods for convenience or because the the HS charges for parking permits?

#4 Farley

Farley

Living Legend

• Members
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 03:21 PM

It is difficult to imagine that a campus the size of FHS, added to the fact the school is so new, that adequate parking does not exist on the campus. We have kids go by who are walking to school. I know at the close of the school day there is a traffic line up of parents picking up kids. It could not be possible that all the students drive.

I would guess the school parking lots are monitored and a no smoking policy is enforced on campus. So they may be parking in the neighborhoods just to smoke.

#5 benning

benning

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE(w00t @ Sep 7 2005, 04:10 PM)
Benning - thanks for the article!

Although I'm not happy about the contents, looks like there is nothing that can be done at this point and nothing planned in the immediate future. The parking permits also don't seem to be the answer, it's a pain for everyone.

Are they parking in the neighborhoods for convenience or because the the HS charges for parking permits?

View Post

I think it's mainly to escape the chockablock that occurs when school lets out in the student parking lot. I understand the backup is horrendous, like when a Kings game lets out.

#6 w00t

w00t

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 03:33 PM

Farley makes some good points, with the campus size there must be adequate parking.. I was just curious if the kiddies were parking outside the school to avoid paying for a parking pass (or do they not charge?).

Hopefully the HS kids will get tired of me putting (their) butts and (their) trash on their cars and not park in front of my house...

#7 benning

benning

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 03:56 PM

QUOTE(w00t @ Sep 7 2005, 04:33 PM)
Farley makes some good points, with the campus size there must be adequate parking.. I was just curious if the kiddies were parking outside the school to avoid paying for a parking pass (or do they not charge?).

Hopefully the HS kids will get tired of me putting (their) butts and (their) trash on their cars and not park in front of my house...

View Post

No there are no parking passes at FHS so that's not the issue. They only have one (maybe two) exit points for a few hundred cars leaving at the same time.

The HS is already several hundred students over the maximum designed enrollment plus I don't think they design for quite so many privileged (car owning) kids.

#8 CataBird

CataBird

Superstar

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Interests:My interests are varied, read my websites, and Yahoo Messenger profile. Aaahhh, finally! My Geocities websites are updated. It appears Yahoo has improved PageBuilder so it loads a LOT faster. What a relief! Anyway, now you can check out my sites! Always begin with http://www.geocities.com/catabird. Ciao, Baby!

Posted 07 September 2005 - 06:20 PM

QUOTE(w00t @ Sep 7 2005, 04:33 PM)

View Post

Hi, w00t, Welcome to Folsom Forums!

You might be interested to know that California enforces littering laws, which carry hefty fines. More interestingly, California has specific laws against littering with lit cigarettes--fines are over $1,000 per incident.

Just a little info-ammo! wink.gif
--CataBird

The Believing Blog is back! Wanna See? My Blog

There's even MORE available! Check out Enduring Christian Dogma on Blogger.com!

"He whose walk is upright fears the Lord, but he whose ways are devious despises Him." --Proverbs 14:2

#9 DavidH

DavidH

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 07:34 PM

Let's hope it gets better in Fall 2007 when the new HS opens. Should take 600+ students from FHS.

#10 bishmasterb

bishmasterb

MyFolsom Loser

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE(benning @ Sep 7 2005, 03:57 PM)
I don't think it's going to go away anytime soon.  Maybe you should sell lattes or English essays or something on the curbside.

I like that idea, there's always an opportunity to make a buck.

Or you could offer your "protection" for their vehicles while they're at school.

#11 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 09:28 PM

Welcome to the forums, w00t... (nice name!)

I am fortunate enough that I am close to the school but the cars do not make its way to my house yet. I'm sure in a year or so that may change, or by the end of the year when there are more 16 y.o. drivers. I'm not sure the answer to the solution, short of a parking garage. I would imageine when Lago Vista opens, the parking/traffic will be substantially better (one would hope!)

#12 jagayman

jagayman

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 09:50 PM

Any car pool programs for high school drivers?

Jason
Jason Gayman
Folsom Weather Webmaster

#13 swmr545

swmr545

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE(jagayman @ Sep 7 2005, 09:50 PM)
Any car pool programs for high school drivers?

Jason

View Post

All you have to do is submit a request to the school and they'll announce it. In the past there has been money offered due to gas prices (and I hope people still do with the way the prices are now).

But once again, all you need to do is submit a request to the school and they'll announce it.
"We must recognize that this short life can neither be ennobled or enriched by hatred or revenge."

RFK

#14 swmr545

swmr545

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 10:10 PM

QUOTE(Farley @ Sep 7 2005, 03:21 PM)
It is difficult to imagine that a campus the size of FHS, added to the fact the school is so new, that adequate parking does not exist on the campus.  We have kids go by who are walking to school.  I know at the close of the school day there is a traffic line up of parents picking up kids.  It could not be possible that all the students drive.

I would guess the school parking lots are monitored and a no smoking policy is enforced on campus.  So they may be parking in the neighborhoods just to smoke.

View Post

There is no adequate parking at all. The parking lot is designed horribley and there are way too many students driving to school today. Not to mention there are about 850 freshmen so that's what, about 700 more parents dropping off their students in the morning?

Don't get a HS student started on leaving the parking lot in the afternoon. Parents drive just as bad as the students do in the parking lot and get pi**ed off when a student treats them with the same disrespect they've been shown.

As for parking in the residential area...I think if the students that park there are responsible enough about picking up their trash and respectful to the residents, things shouldn't become too big of a problem. But you never know...I for one park in the parking lot *and thankfully I leave early*
"We must recognize that this short life can neither be ennobled or enriched by hatred or revenge."

RFK

#15 TheCourtJester

TheCourtJester

OB/GYN/OMG/WTF/BBQ!

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 01:57 AM

Ahh I repeat what swmer said...getting out at the high school used to be horrible, and the classes have only gotten bigger. I can't even count how many times I had to park clear at teh back of the parking lot (in a not-so-legal spot, unfortunately).

There's also not a day goes by where there's not SOME kind of accident...most of those teens and freshman mommies are making CALLS while they're driving, too. It tends to settle down until somewhere in November, then for some reason the problem gets progressively worse over the year.

I'd suggest posting a sign or something telling them not to park there or at least ASK to park there. And if they won't listen...well, that's what raw eggs, bologna, spray paint, and/or keys are for smile.gif If they can't respect your property, they need to change that one way or another (or maybe I'm just a sort of evil person for sugesting you damage their car tongue.gif).
The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good you get, you'll never be as good as a wall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users