31 replies to this topic

#1 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:38 AM

As many of you know, I am a volunteer Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA (http://sacramentocasa.org/ ). As a CASA I am appointed by a Family Court Judge to advocate for the needs of a youth in the foster care system. Perhaps you have followed my journey in the endeavor here: http://www.tomatopag...opic=27328&st=0 . The first youth appointed to me emancipated a few months ago; although my legal responsibility to her has been severed, I continue to mentor her on my own as she navigates her career options and independence. I will be talking with my case manager next week regarding my next case.

So many of the youth in foster care are bounced from home to home, from school to school, and from social worker to social worker (my youth had 17 workers in four years!). Social Workers are bogged down with cases and have precious few minutes to connect with their caseload. Needs frequently go unnoticed and services often fall through the cracks. We as a society pull children from their homes and often fail them miserably in the system. The CASA is often the only consistent adult in a child's life; as the child is moved from situation to situation the CASA continues serving that child by taking the child on outings, assessing his/her situation, talking with the child's service providers (foster parent, social worker, attorney, teachers, therapist, etc.), identifying needs, and pushing the process to make things happen, including advocating in court for services.

The more involved I get the more I appreciate the delicate and critical role played by the CASA. But only a minority of children in the foster care system have CASAs. The need for more volunteers is HUGE and the need for funding to train and supervise those CASAs HUGE. Approximately 80% of Sacramento CASA's budget comes from donations and fundraising events; the more money they raise, the more CASAs they can train and supervise, the more youth who can benefit from support and advocasy.

I am once again raising money for Sacramento CASA as a "virtual" walker through the Walk 'N Rock fundraising event (I am still having trouble with my foot or I'd participate in person!). I hope you will consider this organization worthy of your donation and no donation is too small to make a difference. :) :2thumbsup:

To make a donation to my Walk 'N Rock effort:

Go to http://walknrock.org/
Click on "Sponsor Participant"
Type in my name: Debra Boogaard
Click on "Debra Boogaard" (which will be highlighted in blue) to get to my donations page.

Thank you for considering this request. And if you have any questions about being a CASA, please don't hesitate to ask me or contact Sacramento CASA at (916) 875-6460.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#2 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:09 PM

Bump for visibility.

Come on Myfolsomites, let's help Debra meet/exceed her goal.
I would rather be Backpacking

#3 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:03 PM

Bump for visibility.

Come on Myfolsomites, let's help Debra meet/exceed her goal.

Thank you, Bill, and thank you for your support. You're an angel. :cheer:
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#4 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:50 PM

* There are more than 500,000 children and youth in foster care in the U.S.; approximately 20,000 youth “age out” or emancipate from foster care each year.

* 100,000 foster youth live in California.

* In California, 65% of youth leaving foster care do so without a place to live.

* Up to 50% of former foster/probation youth become homeless within the first 18 months of emancipation.

* Twenty seven percent (27%) of the homeless population spent time in foster care.

* Fifty-eight percent (58%) of all young adults accessing federally funded youth shelters in 1997 had previously been in foster care.

* Less than half of former foster youth are employed 2.5-4 years after leaving foster care, and only 38% have maintained employment for at least one year.

* Youth in foster care are 44% less likely to graduate from high school and after emancipation, 40 – 50 percent never complete high school.

* Girls in foster care are six times more likely to give birth before the age of 21 than the general population.

* Sixty percent (60%) of women who emancipate from foster care become parents within 2.5-4 years after exiting care.

* Parents with a history of foster care are almost twice as likely as parents with no such history to see their own children placed in foster care or become homeless.

Clearly the foster care system has failed to effectively prepare youth in its care for life after foster care. The role a CASA plays in the life of a youth preparing for emancipation is to provide information, expose the youth to services, and spearhead processes to make a smooth transition to education, training, employment and/or housing options. The more funding CASA has, the more CASAs it can train, thus providing a critical support function for more youth.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#5 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:12 PM

Bump. :)
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#6 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:33 PM

The Office of the Inspector General Report

In 2006, the US Department of Justice Office of the Inspector General (OIG) conducted an audit of the National CASA Association, as required by Congress.

Following are highlights of the findings.

1. Children with a CASA volunteer are substantially less likely to spend time in long-term foster care, defined as more than 3 years in care: 13.3% for CASA cases versus 27.0% of all children in foster care.

2. When a CASA volunteer was involved, both children and their parents were ordered by the courts to receive more services. The audit concluded that this was an indication that “CASA is effective in identifying the needs of children and parents.”

3. Cases involving a CASA volunteer are more likely to be permanently closed than cases where a CASA volunteer is not involved. The statistics vary from only 1.4% of children with a CASA volunteer reentering the CWS (CASA Data Request) to 9% of CASA children reentering the CWS (Youngclarke Review). This is in contrast to 16% for children not served by a volunteer.

4. Children with a CASA volunteer are more likely to be adopted and less likely to be reunified with their parents than children not assigned a CASA volunteer. The audit explains this finding as the result of CASA volunteers serving on typically the most serious cases of maltreatment and therefore cases where children are less likely to be reunified with their parents.

***************************************************************************************

Additional Studies Document Results of CASA Volunteer Advocacy

Like our volunteer advocates, the National CASA Association and our local programs strive for fact-based decision-making. Below is a summary of conclusive results from a 2004 study conducted by Caliber Associates (170 KB) and other CASA studies selected by researchers with the University of California, San Francisco Fresno Medical Education program for their high methodological quality.

Notable conclusive results from these studies include the following (numbers refer to studies referenced after results):

* CASA volunteers spend most of their volunteer time in contact with a child. (1)

* CASA volunteers spend significantly more time in contact with a child than a paid guardian ad litem. (2)

* CASA volunteers are far more likely than paid attorneys to file written reports. (3, 4, 5)

* CASA volunteers are highly effective in getting their recommendations accepted in court. In four out of five cases, all or almost all CASA volunteer recommendations are accepted. (1)

* When a CASA volunteer is assigned, a higher number of services are ordered for children and families. (1, 2, 6, 7, 8, 9)

* A child with a CASA volunteer is more likely to be adopted. (8, 9, 10, 11)

* A child with a CASA volunteer is as likely to be reunified with their birth parent as a child without a CASA volunteer. (3, 9, 11)

* A child with a CASA volunteer is less likely to reenter the child welfare system. The proportion of reentries is consistently reduced by half. (8, 11, 12)

References

1. Caliber Associates, National CASA Association Evaluation Project, Caliber Associates; Fairfax, Virginia, 200

2. Donald D. Duquette and Sarah H. Ramsey, “Using Lay Volunteers to Represent Children in Child Protection Court Proceedings” (Appendix C). Child Abuse and Neglect 10(3): p. 293-308, 1986.

3. Sherrie S. Aitken, Larry Condelli, and Tom Kelly, Final Report of the Validation and Effectiveness Study of Legal Representation Through Guardian Ad Litem. Report submitted to the Administration on Children Youth and Families, Department of Health and Human Services by CSR, Inc.: Washington, DC, 1993.

4. Karen C. Snyder, John D. Downing, and Jill A. Jacobson, A Report to the Ohio Children's Foundation on the Effectiveness of the CASA Program of Franklin County. The Strategy Team: Columbus, OH, 1996.

5. Victoria Weisz and Nghi Thai, “The Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) Program: Bringing information to Child Abuse and Neglect Cases,” Child Maltreatment 8(X), 2003.

6. Larry Condelli, National Evaluation of the Impact of Guardian Ad Litem in Child Abuse and Neglect Judicial Proceedings. Report submitted to the National Center of Child Abuse and Neglect for the Administration of Children, Youth and Families by CSR, Inc.: Washington, DC, 1988.

7. Litzelfelner, “The Effectiveness of CASAs in Achieving Positive Outcomes for Children,” Child Welfare 79(2): p. 179-193, 2000.

8. John Poertner and Allan Press, “Who Best Represents the Interests of the Child in Court?” Child Welfare 69(6): p. 537-549, 1990.

9. Gene C. Siegel, et al., Arizona CASA effectiveness study. Report to the Arizona Supreme Courts, Administrative Office of the Courts, Dependent Children's Services Division by the National Center for Juvenile Justice, 2001.

10. Susan M. Profilet, et al., Guardian ad Litem Project. Child Advocates Inc., 1999.

11. Shareen Abramson, “Use of Court-Appointed Advocates to Assist in Permanency Planning for Minority Children,” Child Welfare 70(4): p. 477-487, 1991.

12. Michael Powell and Vernon Speshock, Arizona Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) Program, Internal Assessment, 1996.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#7 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:54 AM

Bump. Your support of this very worthy cause would be so very much appreciated. No donation is too small to help youth in the foster care system. Thank you for considering this request! :) :2thumbsup:
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#8 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:13 AM

The "Rock" part of this Walk 'N Rock event will be a performance by Kiss.
Proceeds will be divided amongst all of the nonprofits (all of which support children) participating.
The concert will be held Sunday, May 29 at Raley Field. Gates open at 7 pm for the concert. For more information, go here: http://www.raleyfiel... featuring Kiss . Tickets can be ordered through the Raley Field box office and through Ticketmaster.

My fundraising challenge for this weekend is $250. I'm sitting at $350 toward a goal of $1,508. Thank you for considering making a donation to my effort. :2thumbsup:
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#9 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:06 AM

April is Child Abuse Prevention Month. "The Lisa Project" was developed to heighten the community's awareness about child abuse and to educate the community regarding how to identify signs of abuse. The Lisa Project will be on exhibit for the month of April at St. Rose of Lima Park, 7th and K Streets. The exhibit, which is rated PG, is open from 4 - 8 p.m. Thursdays and Fridays, noon to 8 p.m. Saturdays and 1 - 5 p.m. Sundays in April. It is closed on April 24.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee....1#ixzz1IZhz8z7N

and http://www.thelisapr...t.org/Main.html

Sacramento CASA is trying to raise money through the Walk 'N Rock event to fund the training and administration of 34 new CASAs. Abused and neglected children in the foster care system need this support and advocacy. Your consideration of making a donation to my Walk 'N Rock effort is greatly appreciated.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#10 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:45 AM

My fundraising goal for this weekend is $200. Small donations add up. :)

THANK YOU! You know who you are. :) :cheer:
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#11 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:37 AM

I met my new foster youth yesterday. I have so much admiration for the foster parents who care for several foster children. I am looking forward to getting to know and serve this young person, who is a bit younger than my former foster youth; we potentially have several years ahead of us to work together.

There are currently 159 children on the wait list for CASAs in Sacramento, up by 17 from just a few weeks ago.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#12 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:52 PM

I have 29 days left to meet my goal of $1,508. Thank you to those who not only donate to this Walk 'N Rock effort, but to those who donate directly to Sacramento CASA (I've been told some folks cite MyFolsom when asked how they heard about CASA). Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#13 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:20 PM

May is Foster Care Awareness Month. I have less than a month left to raise funds for the Walk 'N Rock event; I hope you'll consider making a donation. :) Every little bit helps :2thumbsup: and lots of little bits add up to a big bit. :cheer:

Also, Sacramento CASA is holding an orientation on May 18 for people who want to learn more about becoming a CASA. The orientation will be held from 6 - 7 pm. For further information about attending this information session, contact Kathy 916-875-6606 or: kathy@sacramentocasa.org
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#14 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:31 AM

Bump. :2thumbsup:
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#15 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:02 AM

The Walk 'N Rock event will be held on May 29. I have less than two weeks to meet my goal. The need is urgent and the services of CASAs critical. Just this week the youth assigned to me was moved to a new foster home, a new school district, and a new agency of service providers on top of an unrelated change to a new social worker. As her CASA I represent a thread of continuity.

I hope you'll consider supporting Sacramento CASA through this fundraising event. Every donation helps to make a difference in the lives of children who are placed in foster homes and often bounced around the system through no fault of their own.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users