#1 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 10:46 AM

http://www.dailymail...-suspended.html

A kid who stopped a bully from beating a blind student was rewarded by being kicked off the football team because of the school's zero tolerance for violence policy. 

School administrators have consistently shown themselves unable to reason their way out of a paper bag. This is just the latest in a neverending string of stupidity by those guiding our children.  What lesson do you think the hero who stepped in learned? That violence is wrong? Or just not to get involved when you see someone getting victimized?  Same thing happened to a Florida teen who DISARMED a kid with a loaded gun.

http://www.huffingto..._n_2811675.html

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#2 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 01:02 PM

Common sense does not exist in the brain of Liberals and Progressives. It has eluded them for their entire lives.

#3 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 03:13 PM

Not true. I am pretty liberal and I am one of the most sensible people on this board. :-)

Can you imagine what would have happened if our three Sacramento heroes on the French train had decided not to act because they had been taught there is "zero tolerance for violence"?

Common sense tells us that unfortunately, sometimes good people must use violence to overcome evil.

#4 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 08:06 AM

Common sense tells us that unfortunately, sometimes good people must use violence to overcome evil.

Too bad some of those Oregon students didn't take charge and subdue/kill the gunman before the gunman killed them.

#5 BIG PAKO

BIG PAKO

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 08:42 AM

Too bad some of those Oregon students didn't take charge and subdue the gunman.

Wow.

#6 awood

awood

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 09:00 AM

After a bit of reflection, and an on-line petition that soared to +80k signatures of support within a day, no disciplinary action has been taken against Cody Pines (the kid who defended his friend).
Cody has since spoken with the bully in question who apologized.  Cody asked that people leave the bully alone and "stop hating on him".  Seems as if things have worked themselves out for the best without "policy" stepping in to ruin the life lesson.

http://abc7.com/news...-beach/1003362/

#7 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 10:12 AM

Too bad some of those Oregon students didn't take charge and subdue the gunman.

Here is one that did.... God bless him...

'Hero' Umpqua Community College Student Chris Mintz Speaks After Being Shot 7 Times

The student and Army veteran who witnesses say charged the shooter at a community college in Oregon is alert and awake at the hospital as he recovers.

Chris Mintz, 30, was shot seven times during the Thursday rampage, but he says his main concern is about the others who were injured.

"I just hope that everyone else is OK," he told ABC News this morning.

"I'm just worried about everyone else.”

https://gma.yahoo.co...opstories.html#

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#8 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 02:21 PM

And then there were the vets in the veteran center with concealed weapons, prevented by staff to help.

#9 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 03:15 PM

Anyone else ever notice how all these mass shootings are in "gun free zones."  How is that working out? Stupid policies by small minded people.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#10 apeman45

apeman45

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 04:48 PM

I'm pretty sure all schools are gun free zones.  To try to minimize the effectiveness of gun control by stating "all these mass shootings are in gun free zones" is just an attempt by the NRA types to divert attention to what really needs to be done.  The last two shootings I remember were not in gun free zones.  The Virginia murder on live television (which the Oregon murderer referenced as "good" on his my space page, and the church mass murder.

It's very simple really.  Gun ownership should always be legal.  Simple laws like the right to drive a car is what we need.  Just like a car you renew your license.  You go in and pass a simple test, demonstrate you know how to use your weapon safely and undergo some simple psych evaluation and you get to have a weapon.  No automatic weapons, no huge clips, no hollow points or body armor piercing bullets.  Sounds pretty simple but the NRA will not even allow the most reasonable laws to be enacted because they do not care about anyones safety.

I guess I have a really "small mind" because I like to think for myself instead if regurgitating a bunch of cliches and insults at those that don't agree with my views.

#11 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 05:58 PM

It's very simple really.  Gun ownership should always be legal. Just like a car you renew your license.  You go in and pass a simple test, demonstrate you know how to use your weapon safely and undergo some simple psych evaluation and you get to have a weapon.  No automatic weapons, no huge clips, no hollow points or body armor piercing bullets.  Sounds pretty simple

LOL. We're in Unicorn/Santa/Easter bunny land now. I'm sure the vast majority of gangbanger thugs roaming this country with guns killing people because "he disrespected me" will be petrified by your plan. Chicagoland thugs are shaking in their Nike shoes at your idea. They will not like it, but they will abide by *legal* gun ownership and they will agree to "renew" their gun license every year or so. Sounds great !! Santa, is that you ?? :santa:

#12 apeman45

apeman45

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 06:39 PM

I rest my case!  2Aces response is precisely what I was talking about in the last line of my last post.  

"I guess I have a really "small mind" because I like to think for myself instead if regurgitating a bunch of cliches and insults at those that don't agree with my views."

Don't even read the whole post and pull out the old if guns were outlawed only outlaws would have guns monologue.  Yawn....nothing to read here.

These mass murderers are not Chicagoland thugs.  They are mentally disturbed people killing innocent people with legally owned and purchased arsenals!

#13 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 07:02 PM

I agree with some of Ape. However, there are already background checks for criminality. There is already a "proficiency exam" with dummy bullets. There is already a handgun certificate required. Armor piecing bullets are already outlawed. Size of magazine is irrelevant. I WANT hollow points for self-defense.BTW, most killings are not done with hollow points. No one is getting automatic weapons as they are already outlawed in all but the most unusual situations. It takes in excess of 20k and having the DOJ crawl up your backside.That you suggest these things shows how uninformed you are. Who is using cliches now?

I am against psych evals because they are subjective. I have no problem with  people with known psych issues being denied guns. I actually flirted with presenting the idea that to get a gun, you needed 3 letters of recommendation from current gun owners. Like motorcycles, they aren't for everyone. The problem is that bangers would still get theirs. At least it makes more sense then focusing on "assault rifle" cosmetics.

I will continue to minimize the gun control "solutions," offered by anti-gun people as they do NOTHING to address the problem. I continue to stand by my belief that gun free zones belong in the land of unicorns and fairy dust. Stupid ideas that have no bearing on reality.

Since you claim I minimize them with cliches, in what way are gun control laws effective?  What really needs to be done?  How do you determine if a person is mentally ill? BTW, I offer my perspective on the roots of gun violence in the politics section. It even has real data from the FBI. No cliches or talking points from the NRA.

#14 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 07:26 PM

I rest my case!  2Aces response is precisely what I was talking about in the last line of my last post.  

"I guess I have a really "small mind" because I like to think for myself instead if regurgitating a bunch of cliches and insults at those that don't agree with my views."

Don't even read the whole post and pull out the old if guns were outlawed only outlaws would have guns monologue.  Yawn....nothing to read here.
These mass murderers are not Chicagoland thugs.  They are mentally disturbed people killing innocent people with legally owned and purchased arsenals!

I'm a nice guy, so I'm gonna give you a chance to redeem yourself.

On any given weekend in any given big city, there are "mass murders", especially Chicago. They may not be in the same place, but murder by guns is happening on a massive scale...so why do you discount those?? Why do you want to target LEGAL gun owners?? Your rationale is flawed, but you don't understand that because people like you have an agenda...and agendas don't allow people like you to be rational. You have proven that. You're an ideologue, just like Obama. Good luck with that.

#15 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 08:06 PM

I had a little incident at my house this week. Someone tried to open my front door and then stood on my front porch, waiting. Thankfully, I was home, and watched the whole thing from my office window through the solar screens & security cameras, so he didnt notice me. When I confronted him (through the window), he gave me some fishy story and left. Yes, I reported it to the PD, and they checked out the neighborhood but didnt find him.

So, I'm looking into CCW & home defense classes. In checking many local Sacto region websites, it seems like the process is really easy, and a person no longer has to fit specific criteria to get a CCW. There's just a few hoops to jump through.I also found some classes for tactical/combat focus which look like a really fun way to build skills, in addition to regular target practice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users