Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

What Do You Miss The Most In Folsom’s Past That Has Come & Gone?

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#16 jill z

jill z

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:Playing practical jokes, laughing, spending time with friends and cooking good food.

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:30 PM

NO TRAFFIC. I remember when everything east of McDonalds on Wales and East Bidwell was the Russell Ranch. Open fields lined Scott Road (East Bidwell Streets old name) and sometimes the horses and cows would get out and roam around. By about 9 pm, the streets would roll up for the night.

I miss the old time feel of Folsom.
Life is unsure. Always eat your dessert first!

#17 Redone

Redone

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 08:49 AM

Miss no more !! Lake Bowl is still open. Go there and bring back the memories.

BTW - I miss Dan Dummett, from Sutter Street Grill, the original owner. He's alive and cantankerous but just retired.

#18 Suburban Pool Service

Suburban Pool Service

MyFolsom Pool Janitor

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Suburban Pool Service
    P.O. Box 1627
    Folsom, Ca 95763

Supplies /Weekly Service / Satisfaction

on the web at
    weservicepools.com

(916) 792-4836
    email service@suburbanpoolsupply.com

Posted 21 December 2006 - 09:26 AM

How about ACE Hardware? It was so easy and fast to walk in and know exactly where to find that rare bolt or screw. Know you have to go to Wal Mart, wait in line for 1/2 hour and hope you don't get ran over in the parking lot on the way out.

-Ryan

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
"Wow! What a Ride!"

weservicepools.com

#19 petro

petro

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 07:59 AM

I lived in Orangevale from 1973 until 1999. In Broadstone from then on. What i miss most is the unprentiousness of the people I meet when I moved here. Everyone seemed to be together going the same way on the same track. Now i see splinter groups fighting for individual or community rights; NO, dare I say, demanding those rights!

I am embarressed by the cities lack of sensitivity toward the individual citizen and allow the mob rule to direct city policy. I see this in the fight over the development south of 50 and what happened to the remains of Kemp Park (now the sports complex).

I would like to see a citizen Mayor and city councel members ( not realtors, bankers, developers, etc). Where are the retired planners, the stay at home moms.

Sorry to get so phylosophical about this, it just struck a nerve when I read this.

#20 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 09:15 AM

QUOTE(Suburban Pool Service @ Dec 21 2006, 09:26 AM) View Post
How about ACE Hardware? It was so easy and fast to walk in and know exactly where to find that rare bolt or screw. Know you have to go to Wal Mart, wait in line for 1/2 hour and hope you don't get ran over in the parking lot on the way out.

I miss that level of service. You go into Lowes or Home Depot with an odd request and they just can't help you unless it's part of their standard isles.

I have the same issue with auto-parts stores. "No, this is off a 60's racecar, it won't be in your computer, trust me".
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#21 windie

windie

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 11:25 AM

When Folsom Blvd. out to Highway 50 was just a two lane road with a canopy of trees.

When "Scott Road"...now E. Bidwell...was just a two lane road out to Highway 50.

The OLD Lucky's grocery store...before the DMV and the skating rink.

Model Pharmacy

When the only traffic light was located on Sutter Street.
TEAM EFFORT: A lot of people doing what I say.

#22 jafount

jafount

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 11:28 AM

QUOTE(Robert Giacometti @ Dec 20 2006, 09:35 PM) View Post
I miss having Hal Barker as Chief of Police, Terry Solgas as a police officer and Bill Murdoch in the Fire department. They were people who knew everybody and treated people with respect. They were hands on people who left their egos at home each day!

I remember Terry...he used to come into my aunts resturaunt back in the day...River city BBQ company! MMMMM...good eats there!
We all dream of a world of sunshine and rainbows and peace. The problem is some people think this would be a great place to live, while others think it would be a great place to pillage.

#23 granto

granto

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 12:53 PM

I still remember the semi-active rail line with cars left around old town and the box car "mall" in old town. Gave the place an entirely different feel.

#24 erfamof4

erfamof4

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 01:01 PM

Does anyone else remember the shaved ice stand that was located below Powerhouse Pub (before there was a parking lot)? When we were teenagers (back around 1989 or 90), my sister and I loved to trek across Rainbow Bridge (we lived in ARC north) for some shaved ice in the summer!!

#25 Orangetj

Orangetj

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 01:15 PM

Yes, I remember the shaved ice place. I think it was there earlier than that, though - like 86 or so.

While I'm very happy with my life as an adult, what I miss most about Folsom isn't any particular store or item, but rather it's the fun childhood I had growing up here. We were probably trespassing, but I remember playing with my friends in the oak covered hills that are now American River Canyon North. I remember 4 wheeling down along Lake Natoma to get to a place to hang out with friends. I remember getting 35 cent ice cream cones at Thrifty. I remember riding bicycles from one end of town to the other, stopping at Negro Bar for a swim to cool off and then getting back on our bikes and riding over to Peppermint Patty's on Sutter for an ice cream. I remember my dad starting to teach me how to drive when I was 14 by having my drive in reverse all around the office park at the western end of Blue Ravine. I remember going to my first football game at the old high school, with the lights shining and seemingly everybody in town in attendance. It was a good childhood.

#26 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 01:16 PM

QUOTE(windie @ Dec 22 2006, 11:25 AM) View Post
When Folsom Blvd. out to Highway 50 was just a two lane road with a canopy of trees.

When "Scott Road"...now E. Bidwell...was just a two lane road out to Highway 50.

The OLD Lucky's grocery store...before the DMV and the skating rink.

Model Pharmacy

When the only traffic light was located on Sutter Street.

I remember all of those, AND the Royal Market, too!

#27 diamond dan

diamond dan

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 02:26 PM

QUOTE(Redone @ Dec 21 2006, 08:49 AM) View Post
Miss no more !! Lake Bowl is still open. Go there and bring back the memories.

BTW - I miss Dan Dummett, from Sutter Street Grill, the original owner. He's alive and cantankerous but just retired.

I miss you also. I live in Sun City Lincoln Hills.call me at 916-543-0831. Dan

#28 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 29 December 2006 - 02:53 PM

Folsom Bookstore. It was small and quaint and they could get most books within a few days if they didn't have them stocked. The owner, whose name I believe was Bob, was wonderful.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#29 swmr545

swmr545

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 05:56 PM

Jaspers...I had fond memories of going to that place after I got out of school (Kindergarten).
"We must recognize that this short life can neither be ennobled or enriched by hatred or revenge."

RFK

#30 OctoberLily

OctoberLily

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Interests:My interests vary. However, they focus mainly on my husband and children. Getting my boys through college and creating a good life for themselves. I enjoy anything creative, artistic and thought provoking. Music ranges from Andrea Boccelli to some hiphop groups. I enjoy dancing, singing and life in general. Former U.S. Marine - pretty conservative in my opinions but always open to listening to what others have to say.

Posted 01 January 2007 - 04:25 PM

I miss looking up at the beautiful scenic hill above E. Bidwell with the lone tree where all of those houses now stand. My mother actually thought those houses were apartments because of their size and the fact they all look the same. LOL!

I miss the slower traffic and Chevy's...

"The only thing we can take with us from this life is the good that we have done to others."

"Our strength will be found in our charity." [Betty J. Eadie]

"Being a mom is the most rewarding job I have ever had!"

"SEMPER FIDELIS! USMC"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users