203 replies to this topic

#1 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 10:47 AM

More dissapointing news on the Historic District

http://www.sacbee.co...ory/101591.html

I think these recent developments (starbucks and low income housing) are tragic to the momentum the Historic District Revitalization effort has attained.

We call this area the "jewel of the city", and yet it's apparently becoming another strip mall and dumping ground for the housing nobody else wants.
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#2 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 10:51 AM

QUOTE(mylo @ Jan 2 2007, 10:47 AM) View Post
More dissapointing news on the Historic District

http://www.sacbee.co...ory/101591.html

I think these recent developments (starbucks and low income housing) are tragic to the momentum the Historic District Revitalization effort has attained.

We call this area the "jewel of the city", and yet it's apparently becoming another strip mall and dumping ground for the housing nobody else wants.

Is there any city plan for this neighborhood? What's the goal of the historic district? Do they want to attract tourists or residents? Has it been determined what is missing in the area? For instance, if they want to increase the number of residents in the area, is there a local small market to serve them? If they want to serve tourists, what retail establishments are needed?

Going at this in a piece-meal fashion and expecting it to be a cohesive effort isn't going to work.

#3 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 11:28 PM

split this from the Starbucks topic as it will undoubtedly get some reactions...

#4 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:21 AM

Looks like the transitional housing has stalled, but the psych housing is still progressing:

http://www.news10.ne...x?storyid=22992

I am opposed to this not just from NIMBY, but because the Historic District is already overloaded with affordable housing. The purpose of these laws is to distribute affordable housing throughout the community. It's the same idea as saying "Rancho is cheaper, build it there" that people are applying to 'dumping' all these projects in the HD. We all need to share the responsibility of supporting our community, whether we like it or not, and cluserting homeless, low income, elder care, and psychiatric apartments in line down one street is just excessive!

#5 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:28 AM

Bring it on down to Homelessville!

#6 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:42 AM

QUOTE(mylo @ Jan 3 2007, 09:21 AM) View Post
Looks like the transitional housing has stalled, but the psych housing is still progressing:

http://www.news10.ne...x?storyid=22992

I am opposed to this not just from NIMBY, but because the Historic District is already overloaded with affordable housing. The purpose of these laws is to distribute affordable housing throughout the community. It's the same idea as saying "Rancho is cheaper, build it there" that people are applying to 'dumping' all these projects in the HD. We all need to share the responsibility of supporting our community, whether we like it or not, and cluserting homeless, low income, elder care, and psychiatric apartments in line down one street is just excessive!

I agree, but how do you think something like this could get built in Empire Ranch? First off, the community is a lot more organized and they would block it. Secondly, low-income housing needs to be by jobs and/or public transportation.

#7 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE(cw68 @ Jan 3 2007, 09:42 AM) View Post
I agree, but how do you think something like this could get built in Empire Ranch? First off, the community is a lot more organized and they would block it. Secondly, low-income housing needs to be by jobs and/or public transportation.

Attempting to block it in Empire Ranch should result in the same lawsuit the city can't win.

The community in Old Town is organized enough, at least enough to get this topic in the news 2 straight days. But for some reason this part of the community suffering the responsibilities of the entire city, to avoid lawsuit, is acceptable to those in other communities.

I understand the need to be close to jobs/transit, but there are buses throughout town and other areas along RT that are just as accessable.

Look at Bidwell St today: Decrepit homes, a tire store, senior assisted living, low income apartments, an empty rail yard-ish thing storing cars, a barely painted school district bunker, and now psychatric living and homeless shelter? Come on! Enough is enough! The HD is trying to work it's way back up, and this is another burden it just doesn't need to bear. The rest of the city needs to step up!

#8 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 10:08 AM

QUOTE(mylo @ Jan 3 2007, 10:04 AM) View Post
Attempting to block it in Empire Ranch should result in the same lawsuit the city can't win.

The community in Old Town is organized enough, at least enough to get this topic in the news 2 straight days. But for some reason this part of the community suffering the responsibilities of the entire city, to avoid lawsuit, is acceptable to those in other communities.

I understand the need to be close to jobs/transit, but there are buses throughout town and other areas along RT that are just as accessable.

Look at Bidwell St today: Decrepit homes, a tire store, senior assisted living, low income apartments, an empty rail yard-ish thing storing cars, a barely painted school district bunker, and now psychatric living and homeless shelter? Come on! Enough is enough! The HD is trying to work it's way back up, and this is another burden it just doesn't need to bear. The rest of the city needs to step up!

I think it's going to come down to the neighborhood that protests the least. Look at all the grumbling about "affordable" housing being built along Iron Point. Nobody wants it in their backyard and the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

#9 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 10:12 AM

Could you imagine how angry people would be if this was being built in ER or Broadstone?

#10 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 10:12 AM

QUOTE(c_vanderveen @ Jan 3 2007, 10:12 AM) View Post
Could you imagine how angry people would be if this was being built in ER or Broadstone?

word

#11 stacycam

stacycam

blah blah blah

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 10:14 AM

Hopefully this question isn't TOO ignorant, because I haven't really been following the "affordable housing' issue. Is there affordable housing in EDH? What about Rocklin/Stanford Ranch?

#12 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 10:20 AM

QUOTE(c_vanderveen @ Jan 3 2007, 10:12 AM) View Post

So angry that it's not even ever proposed. Isn't that what these laws are supposed to protect?

This social responsibility, like it or not, of supporting low income and assisted living facilities is all of ours to share. The city needs to take a lead in making sure it's not the smallest or quietest group that takes the entire burden.

#13 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 10:21 AM

QUOTE(stacycam @ Jan 3 2007, 10:14 AM) View Post
Hopefully this question isn't TOO ignorant, because I haven't really been following the "affordable housing' issue. Is there affordable housing in EDH? What about Rocklin/Stanford Ranch?

From what I understand, EDH is pretty behind on their legal responsibilities, too.

Folsom just got sued about it, so it's a hot topic here.

#14 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 10:31 AM

There is no public transportation in ER, along Blue Ravine, Natoma, Broadstone or most of Oak Avenue.

#15 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE(cw68 @ Jan 3 2007, 10:31 AM) View Post
There is no public transportation in ER, along Blue Ravine, Natoma, Broadstone or most of Oak Avenue.

How about all up Iron Point, then? or Broadstone/E. Bidwell?

Or how about improving public transit? It's not just for homeless people, you know!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users