20 replies to this topic

#1 Jolene

Jolene

Well-versed in how I might be cursed.

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 07:36 PM

We are looking for a good home for our 1.5 year old Boxer mix named Sugar. She is a good dog, but Jesse is working extremely long hours, with no end in sight, and with my being pregnant and also being out of the house 5 days of the week with Jessica's committments, our environment is not a fair one for any dog.

We do not believe in keeping her in her kennel for 14 hours of the day, but at this point in time, there is really no way we can change our lives to make that not happen.

Again, she is a good dog. She is friendly and loves to swim. (Yes, in a pool. She will swim around, deliberately splash the water and then try to eat the splashes.)

She is NOT fixed and I am willing to either pay that cost myself or split it if need be. We will definitely work with you, if this is an issue for you.

She is trained to sit, stay and lay down. She recognizes a variety of words such as "Go for a walk", "Go outside", "where's dad?", "Go get the girl", "Where's your rope?", "Where's your ball?", "Go swimming" and the accompanying "out" (As she will swim as long as you let her and needs to be told to rest) and, of course, she knows "NO!!!" (Hee.)

She is accustomed to a walk in the morning around 5:30 a.m. and one in the evening anywhere between 7-9. She sleeps inside and we have a dog kennel that she goes in when we are not home.

Again, we have Jessica and she has never once snapped at her or even made any move to attack her or seemed skittish around her or any child. We have had children as young has 1.5 years around her with no problem whatsoever.

She is actually an EXCELLENT protector and a good reader of people. Just don't ask my uncle for that opinion. For some strange reason, she would bark at him constantly. He finally used the beef jerkey trick and they're not friends, but she no longer barks at him. But again, as an example, we had my parents' 40th Wedding Anniversary party here and there were approximately 30-40 people here. The majority of whom she did not know or recognize and she was friendly with all of them. However, she will bark at noises outside and any one about whom she is unsure. (Pool guy, sales men, etc.)

Her weak spots are pencils and stuffed animals. She will go for them, no matter how many times you scold her. Our solution has been to keep Jessica's pencils in a pencil box and to keep the door to her room closed. Problem solved.

If you, or anyone you know, is looking for a great family dog to whom they can give the tons of love and attention that Sugar deserves, but sadly, does not receive right now, then please contact me so we can meet up and see if your family is a match for this pooch.

You can either PM me, email me at jolene AT inahaze DOT org or call Jesse at (916) 955-9837. We are willing to pass along everything that goes with her, two sets of water and food bowls, along with any food we have left at the time of her departure from our family, her kennel, her rope toy and as many tennis balls that we may find, as well as her dog house, leash, harness, collar and dog bed.

Thanks for any interest or help you may be able to give.
THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING MY GIRL.
We could not be doing this without you.
Much love and gratitude.

#2 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 09:58 PM

I can second that Sugar is a great dog. In fact, she's a wonderful dog. I've taken care of her many times and she's been nothing but wonderful. She is great with my two young children, walks very easily on a leash and isn't a big jumper. If I didn't have two elderly, senile cats, I would take her myself in an instant. (Actually, I'm going to ask my husband tomorrow if he would entertain the idea of introducing her to our cats. I think I already know that Rosalind and Celia would throw a fit, but I'm going to ignore that right now.)

If anyone wants a second opinion on Sugar, please PM me. As my kids say, "I love Sugar!"

#3 Jolene

Jolene

• Premium Member
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 10:45 PM

QUOTE(cw68 @ Jul 4 2007, 10:58 PM) View Post
I can second that Sugar is a great dog. In fact, she's a wonderful dog. I've taken care of her many times and she's been nothing but wonderful. She is great with my two young children, walks very easily on a leash and isn't a big jumper. If I didn't have two elderly, senile cats, I would take her myself in an instant. (Actually, I'm going to ask my husband tomorrow if he would entertain the idea of introducing her to our cats. I think I already know that Rosalind and Celia would throw a fit, but I'm going to ignore that right now.)

If anyone wants a second opinion on Sugar, please PM me. As my kids say, "I love Sugar!"

Thanks, CW! I meant to mention that you were a reference as to Sugar's greatness, but it must have slipped my mind in all the other goodness I was trying to smash in.

You mention jumping. She never really does jump except when Jesse is playing rough with her and when he's done, she's done. She listens very well.

I would love it if she went to someone she knows and who knows how wonderful she is, but I know we've talked about it in the past and I know (and understand!!) your constraints. If O says no go, if you can simply keep an ear to the ground for me.

We love her a bunch. We just have come to the realization that the life we had (and thought we would have) when we got her, is not a reality. I want her to go to a great home where she will be loved and played with and adored as much as she can be, as she truly deserves it.

(And I am decidedly NOT a dog peson, so the praise coming from me for her means a lot.)

Also, you mention the cats. We have three cats and she is FANTASTIC with them. Two of them just adore her and rub up against her and meow at her for loving, but the third is bearing down on 12 years old and is a cranky pants. That cat will actually hiss and spit at Sugar and Sugar will steer clear of her. So much so that if we are in one room and the cat is between Sugar and us, Sugar will simply lay down and sigh, rather than try to get by the cat.

She is truly a wonderful dog. We will miss her, but living in a kennel is no way for her to live.
Much love and gratitude.

#4 Orangetj

Orangetj

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 09:36 AM

I'm so sorry that you're having to make this decision, but it sounds like you are really doing the right thing. We recently lost our dog Anni, who was also a Boxer mix (Boxer/lab). Do you know what other breed(s) are in her mix? I love Boxers and my daughter has been asking when we are going to have a dog again. I'm going to talk with my wife tonight to discuss whether we're ready to bring another dog into our home. If so, might I PM you for more details?

#5 Jolene

Jolene

• Premium Member
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE(Orangetj @ Jul 5 2007, 10:36 AM) View Post
I'm so sorry that you're having to make this decision, but it sounds like you are really doing the right thing. We recently lost our dog Anni, who was also a Boxer mix (Boxer/lab). Do you know what other breed(s) are in her mix? I love Boxers and my daughter has been asking when we are going to have a dog again. I'm going to talk with my wife tonight to discuss whether we're ready to bring another dog into our home. If so, might I PM you for more details?

You most certainly may PM me for more details. I can tell you that there are a few other interested parties. I understand that everyone needs to talk to their spouses and discuss whether she will be a good fit with the family, so just know that there are a couple of other intersted parties who may or may not be able to take her.

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your dog and the more that Jesse and I discuss it, the more we really feel this is the right thing to do. It has been a difficult decision because, as many people can agree to, dogs become a part of your family and we never wanted to be one of those types of people who just dump their dog just because. However, we also do not want to be neglectful pet owners. Our life has changed tremendously from the point where we got Sugar, and it only stands to get more busy by the end of the year. She deserves more love and attention than we are able to give.

So, anyway, on to your other queston:

We do not know, for sure, what she is mixed with. The people from whom we got her said they thought she was mixed with English Bulldog, which has been seconded and thirded by two other people, but when we took her to the vet shortly after we got her, the vet said her face looks like she has pit in her, which, I personally do not see. (And personality wise, she is not pitbull. A sweeter dog, you could not find.)

I had someone ask about shots and they were up to date, as far as we were told, at the time we got her, and as I relayed to another interested party, she may be due, but my husband was in charge of that and he's at work so I'll check in with him when I get the chance and see where we are with that.

Also, a couple of other things I remembered is that she does really well in cars and we have taken her camping one time and she did really well. (Although, she was very interested in everyting that was going on, so she didn't eat really well while we were camping, but I figure, if there's enough camping in her new familiy, then that is probably something that would change.)

Thank you to everyone who has replied. This situation is difficult, but knowing that there is a high probability that Sugar will go to someone who either A) knows her and knows how awesome she is or B) we "know" in a rond about way is making it much easier than it could have been.

Thank you.
Much love and gratitude.

#6 Jolene

Jolene

• Premium Member
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:28 AM

Oh yeah. And here's a pic of the pup:

Attached Files

Much love and gratitude.

#7 jef

jef

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 04:59 PM

I'm wondering about the exercising part... my husband isn't much of a walker (right now) and i am currently in grad school. This semester my classes are all evening but I don't know what they will be like in the following few semesters. Would the swimming cover some of the needed exercise? We also have a large back yard, half of which is an uphill slope. Our adult children's dogs love the hill! I had to put my Maggie to sleep 2 years ago and have been waiting for the right dog. I had a boxer when i was little. Sugar sounds so great - and would be a great choice when my grandchildren come along!!

#8 TraditionsLastALifetime

TraditionsLastALifetime

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Interests:Photography, modeling, reading medical books, writing, cooking, laughing, and smiling

Posted 29 July 2007 - 11:54 PM

How does your pup get along with other dogs??? I have a 3 year old boston terrier who loves his doggy door and is in need of a companion. I have been looking for an addition to our family...how large will your puppy get to be? My boston is 32lbs...hes a big boston and built like a bull lol...literally knocks me over.

#9 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 06:47 AM

QUOTE(Jolene @ Jul 5 2007, 12:28 PM) View Post
Oh yeah. And here's a pic of the pup:

beautiful dog

#10 Jolene

Jolene

• Premium Member
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:03 AM

Thanks, CV. She's pretty cute.

And to answer some of the recent questions: Yes, I think that the swimming would cover afternoon exercise. She is VERY accustomed to a morning walk, however. It's a short one (Jesse walks her before we head to work), but that's probably the biggest part of her routine.

She is wonderful with other dogs (and cats!). She is not very alpha at all. She gets excited and wants to play, but the minute the other dog (or cat) back off, she backs off as well. I haven't seen her have a problem with another animal yet. I'm sure it could happen, because like people, not all animals are going to get along with all other animals, I just haven't seen her have any problems yet.

As to her size: She is probably between 50 and 60 pounds, but very lean and solid. She doesn't jump or bump, unless encouraged (Jesse will wrestle with her), but if you are unstable on your feet, I might be leery of taking her, just because she is larger than your current dog, who sounds much smaller than Sugar.

And we may have a home for her. We're going to do a doggy playdate this week, to see how things work out on that end. We're not in a rush to just push her off on anyone, simply because we want her to have a great home that will work for her personality and that will give her everything she deserves.

I'll be sure to post here once she's settled.
Much love and gratitude.

#11 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:54 AM

I was planning on taking Sugar, but there's some family issues that have prevented that. sad.gif

We had Sugar for a trial weekend recently. She got along incredibly well with my two cats. That's not surprising since she lives with three cats, but my old cats have not been around dogs. There really weren't any issues at all between them! Sugar really respected the cats and seemed to understand their wariness. The entire time she was here, she never tried to impose herself on them, or anyone else for that matter. A very enjoyable weekend that totally won my husband over. It is with great regret that we cannot take her.

#12 Jolene

Jolene

• Premium Member
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 11:41 AM

I wanted to publically express my most heartfelt and warm thanks to both CW68 and sat. They both took Sugar for a trial weekend, with full intent of giving her a wonderful and loving home, and in the end, this weekend, we've (read: Jesse and Jessica) have decided that we just can't give Sugar up. We are currently working to correct the problems with the long absences (CW - you may get more walking business from us!), but the situation was summed up as we were getting ready for bed Saturday night and Jesse told me: "I miss my dog."

Jessica also was very vocal about the fact that she didn't want to give Sugar away.

So, we will be working to solve our scheduling issues and will be keeping Sugar at this time.

Again, I just have to say thank you, thank you, thank you to CW68 and sat for giving us a lot of relief and piece/peace of mind during a difficult decision time. Bottom line: 2/3rds of our family (read: not me) were fine with giving her a different home in theory only. When it came down to it, our hearts were not in it.

Thank you, ladies (and your families!) for being there for us. We truly appreciate you.
Much love and gratitude.

#13 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:08 PM

Good for you, Jolene specool.gif

#14 sat

sat

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 01:12 PM

Like I told you, when you guys dropped Sugar off, I felt you were going to come back and pick her up. Your husband had the saddest look on his face. My kids really enjoyed her, and always know you have a doggy babysitter when you need one!

#15 Jolene

Jolene

• Premium Member
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE(sat @ Aug 6 2007, 02:12 PM) View Post
Your husband had the saddest look on his face.

Man, didn't he?!? It made me get all teary.

And I am surprised that Jessica didn't just burst into tears on the spot, really.

Me? I don't like Sugar! I don't like her and didn't miss her at all, no matter what she tells you.
Much love and gratitude.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users