#2 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE(mando @ Oct 22 2007, 10:49 PM)  

That was sure a lot of work for one of the most un-funniest things I've ever seen.

...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#3 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 23 October 2007 - 06:52 AM

what the heck prompted them to pick Folsom for their disaster mockumentary?

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#4 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 06:59 AM

LOL - I thought that was pretty funny. Plus, we sort of made the Onion! Even though most details were grossly inaccurate.

#5 _john_doe_

_john_doe_

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:58 AM

100% hands down hilarious. A ton of hidden humor in there as well.

Very well done.

Bravo Onion!

What work I have done I have done because it has been play. If it had been work I shouldn't have done it. Who was it who said, "Blessed is the man who has found his work"? Whoever it was he had the right idea in his mind. Mark you, he says his work--not somebody else's work. The work that is really a man's own work is play and not work at all. Cursed is the man who has found some other man's work and cannot lose it. When we talk about the great workers of the world we really mean the great players of the world. The fellows who groan and sweat under the weary load of toil that they bear never can hope to do anything great. How can they when their souls are in a ferment of revolt against the employment of their hands and brains? The product of slavery, intellectual or physical, can never be great.
Mark Twain

#6 DalOwnerX3

DalOwnerX3

Fuzzy Folsomite

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 11:17 AM

I thought it was funny.
* The subtitles for the architect.
* "My grave won't matter because they won't find my body"

They could have done more research. Route 10? C'mon, Hwy 50! Also Folsom Jazz Festival? It should have been Folsom rodeo.

Actually my wife is more worried about Dyke 8 bursting than the dam itself. She heard that the dykes were meant to give way first in the event of flooding. The goal was to flood the nearby pastures instead of having the American River flood the rest of the downstream area.

#7 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 11:23 AM

Actually my wife is more worried about Dyke 8 bursting than the dam itself. She heard that the dykes were meant to give way first in the event of flooding. The goal was to flood the nearby pastures instead of having the American River flood the rest of the downstream area.
[/quote]

So where exactly did she hear that bit of news? Was it a different Onion documentary?

#8 DalOwnerX3

DalOwnerX3

Fuzzy Folsomite

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 11:30 AM

QUOTE(Darthvader @ Oct 23 2007, 12:23 PM)  
So where exactly did she hear that bit of news? Was it a different Onion documentary?

From some old timers living in the area. She also heard other stories such as Natoma station is built over tunnels that the Chinese miners used to live in.

#9 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 11:33 AM

QUOTE(DalOwnerX3 @ Oct 23 2007, 11:30 AM)  
From some old timers living in the area. She also heard other stories such as Natoma station is built over tunnels that the Chinese miners used to live in.

Ahh, the "old timers" tell tales again huh. Did you also know there is a troll cave under Rainbow bridge? And they found an old vampire dwelling right where they are diggin the new Palladio Mall! Man, this town has more nutz than the Blue Diamond factory...

#10 ngilbert

ngilbert

Rainbow Bridge Troll

• Premium Member
  • 5,368 posts
  • Interests:filling out questionaires

Posted 23 October 2007 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE(Darthvader @ Oct 23 2007, 12:33 PM)  
Ahh, the "old timers" tell tales again huh. Did you also know there is a troll cave under Rainbow bridge? And they found an old vampire dwelling right where they are diggin the new Palladio Mall! Man, this town has more nutz than the Blue Diamond factory...

An old timer once told me that they're keeping Hitler's brain alive in a jar in one of those fake cowboy buildings at the rodeo.
"Here's the last toast of the evening: Here's to those who still believe. All the losers will be winners, all the givers will receive. Here's to trouble-free tomorrows, may your sorrows all be small. Here's to the losers: bless them all
Sinatra "Here's to the Losers"

#11 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 12:40 PM

QUOTE(ngilbert @ Oct 23 2007, 01:37 PM)  
An old timer once told me that they're keeping Hitler's brain alive in a jar in one of those fake cowboy buildings at the rodeo.

Shut up, you fool! You'll ruin everything.

#12 dnell

dnell

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 12:09 AM

Well, I thought it was funny. biggrin.gif

#13 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:51 AM

It was funny, though being a local I thought the Rt 10 and Jazz Festival comments showed a lack of research. But what really got me is that they showed a much more diverse Folsom than really exists. Not to be a pessimist, but I think Folsom's not ready to have a minority mayor. Gotta get some more new blood in here before the old-boy's network looses power.

#14 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:41 AM

QUOTE(cw68 @ Oct 24 2007, 08:51 AM)  
It was funny, though being a local I thought the Rt 10 and Jazz Festival comments showed a lack of research. But what really got me is that they showed a much more diverse Folsom than really exists. Not to be a pessimist, but I think Folsom's not ready to have a minority mayor. Gotta get some more new blood in here before the old-boy's network looses power.

Two things....

1. We have already had an African American mayor, Reggie Drew, who I think qualifies as a minority.

2. Dyke 8 was indeed designed by the Army Corps of Engineers to be dynamited in case Folsom Dam was threatened by overtopping. At that time the dam was constructed, there were nothing but pastures in eastern Folsom, so it was considered a safety release. During flooding in the 1980s, the Corps of Engineers actually physically prepared to dynamite Dyke 8 during a pineapple express storm (warm storm following heavy Sierran snow = sudden downriver flooding). It's true. However, in the past 25 years, that area has developed so I'm sure they would not consider this as an option now and they have been working hard in the past 10 years to make it safer and stronger, since they had a problem with continual seepage.

and

C. that was hilarious.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#15 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:43 AM

QUOTE(4thgenFolsomite @ Oct 24 2007, 09:41 AM)  
1. We have already had an African American mayor, Reggie Drew, who I think qualifies as a minority.

Did not know that. Very surprising to me, but glad to know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users