35 replies to this topic

#1 normajean

normajean

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:27 PM

Did anyone else see that? Around 3:30 or so, smoke like crazy. RUMOR, I have no facts, just rumor says it was a house on Cobb, close to Folsom Hills. A family named Hunt lives there. No confirmation, no details, just that is what is being tossed around the streets.

I sure hope it was smaller than it looked and that no one was injured. My prayers are with the family, if in fact it was a home.

#2 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE(normajean @ May 26 2008, 04:27 PM) View Post
Did anyone else see that? Around 3:30 or so, smoke like crazy. RUMOR, I have no facts, just rumor says it was a house on Cobb, close to Folsom Hills. A family named Hunt lives there. No confirmation, no details, just that is what is being tossed around the streets.

I sure hope it was smaller than it looked and that no one was injured. My prayers are with the family, if in fact it was a home.

I was coming home from Oregon, when we saw the smoke, Cobb Ct. looks like the right area, police had the streets blocked, but I don't know what you mean by Folsom Hills. It's in the heart of Briggs Ranch. it was still sending up lots of smoke while I saw 3 fire engines leaving the sub-division. My guess is there was an over-whelming fire engine response and so the 3 were leaving instead of staying and being in the way.
I would rather be Backpacking

#3 traceyl

traceyl

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 04:12 PM

QUOTE(Bill Z @ May 26 2008, 04:51 PM) View Post
I was coming home from Oregon, when we saw the smoke, Cobb Ct. looks like the right area, police had the streets blocked, but I don't know what you mean by Folsom Hills. It's in the heart of Briggs Ranch. it was still sending up lots of smoke while I saw 3 fire engines leaving the sub-division. My guess is there was an over-whelming fire engine response and so the 3 were leaving instead of staying and being in the way.

Just saw it on the news. Family of 8 lives there and has for 16 yrs. I can't recall the names of the streets, but it's in Briggs Ranch. The pics are horrific.. the house is just nothing but charred remains. Very sad.

#4 normajean

normajean

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:01 PM

I heard the house was a total loss sad.gif

I can't even imagine. Heard it started in the garage and people were home, NO injuries...Thank God! Still so very sad.

Folsom Hill Elementary School

#5 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE(normajean @ May 26 2008, 07:01 PM) View Post
I heard the house was a total loss sad.gif

I can't even imagine. Heard it started in the garage and people were home, NO injuries...Thank God! Still so very sad.

Folsom Hill Elementary School

Yep, total loss, no injury

http://www.kcra.com/...693/detail.html

Folsom Family Escapes House Fire
Home Is Considered To Be 'Total Loss'

POSTED: 4:54 pm PDT May 26, 2008
UPDATED: 4:58 pm PDT May 26, 2008

FOLSOM, Calif. -- A Folsom family of eight had to escape to a neighbor's house when their home caught fire Monday afternoon, officials said.

The fire started at a home located at Cobb Circle around 3:40 p.m., and officials said the house is a total loss.

No firefighters or residents were injured due to the fire, officials said.

I would rather be Backpacking

#6 hopeanelli

hopeanelli

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Interests:Drag Racing, Motocross, boating and my boys....

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:06 PM

If anyone hears of what the family may need in this terrible time please post and let us know. I am getting ready to have a garage sale and have clothes and other misc stuff that I would rather give to someone in need than sell.

Thanks

#7 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:17 AM

QUOTE(hopeanelli @ May 26 2008, 09:06 PM) View Post
If anyone hears of what the family may need in this terrible time please post and let us know. I am getting ready to have a garage sale and have clothes and other misc stuff that I would rather give to someone in need than sell.

Thanks

awww! That is super nice. smile.gif
<3

#8 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:37 AM

Does everyone know where their home fire extinquisher is right now?? Does everyone in your family know where it is? Is it outdated?

If they were home and had a chance to put it out, but not the means, that would be really sad.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#9 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:51 AM

If anyone knows, please let us know about the family, what they will do now (where will they stay?), and what they may need.

Are there 6 kids? Ages??

I have a feeling there are many on myfolsom who may be willing to help.

#10 hopeanelli

hopeanelli

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Interests:Drag Racing, Motocross, boating and my boys....

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:33 AM

I had a little fire a year ago in my laundry room (lint got in the wrong area) and wow I was so not prepared. I was in such a panic I took pots in the sink and just started throwing water at it I put it out I was by myself and just wasn't to smart I didn't call 911 just a basket case.

It didn't do much damage but it made a mess. The next day I went to Costco and bought 6 extinguisher there are 3 on the first level and 2 upstairs the 6th one was used for demonstration for both boys and myself in the back yard and there is a big super whammy one in the garage (hubby works on race car in the garage)

I don't ever want to be in that position again I always thought in my head I would know what to do and I would be calm... I was so wrong. Pots of water I was so lucky it happened when I was home. Now I know how to use a fire extinguisher and also there are now phones in several different rooms so I could call 911.

I feel for this family but it's a wake up call for us all to make sure extinguishers are in the house, they work they aren't out dated and our kids also know what to do. We even came up with a 2nd story escape plan since all the bedrooms are upstairs.

#11 Mommy2Sydni

Mommy2Sydni

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE(bordercolliefan @ May 27 2008, 08:51 AM) View Post
If anyone knows, please let us know about the family, what they will do now (where will they stay?), and what they may need.

Are there 6 kids? Ages??

I have a feeling there are many on myfolsom who may be willing to help.

Yes.....I have a TON of little girl clothes I was getting ready to yard sale....
ANyone have info???

Update:
I left a msg for a friend who lives right across from them....hopefully she knows them enough to give us some info...

#12 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:40 AM

QUOTE(4thgenFolsomite @ May 27 2008, 08:37 AM) View Post
Does everyone know where their home fire extinquisher is right now?? Does everyone in your family know where it is? Is it outdated?

If they were home and had a chance to put it out, but not the means, that would be really sad.

We have 3 in the house- Kitchen , Garage and Laundry room as well as one in the car and two in the truck...

Have never had to use the ones in the house, but did use two on a burning car on the side of the freeway two different times...

Good to have around---
And - they dont get outdated that I know of - as long as the pressure gauge is in the green area....

If there is info about the needs, we can also put out requests on FreeCycle groups for things...
So once things get settled a bit - if contact info is available - post it.

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#13 mattyx

mattyx

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:31 AM

anyone know what caused it? I have heard dryer fire or clogged lint vent..is that true?

on that note I'd like to say that if your clothes are not drying as fast as they should, get your lint vent cleaned.

our dryer was not working all that great and we had a guy come out to clean the line, and he kept blowing it out and i figured i'd see stuff on my roof where the vent was. turns out the vent didn't go straight up but actually up, about 50 feet sideways and then vented over the roof above the front door.

when i figured that out i found a ton of lint on the roof.

supposedly you're supposed to clean those vents out every couple of years, but our house was 7 years old when we did it...it needed it.

couple that with the fact that the vents are not done in the most effecient straight route and they probably need a cleaning if you haven't done it as most houses in briggs ranch are now over 7 years old....

#14 Agent_007

Agent_007

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:45 AM

http://www.dryerventwizard.com/

my dryer stopped working due to back pressure from a clogged vent line. had my dryer been an older model it likely would have caught on fire.

i used the above company to clean my ducts out. they did a very professional job, were clean, quick and professional. and i saved the $150 appliance repair call when all it was was a very clogged vent (6 years never cleaned out.)

QUOTE(mattyx @ May 27 2008, 12:31 PM) View Post
anyone know what caused it? I have heard dryer fire or clogged lint vent..is that true?

on that note I'd like to say that if your clothes are not drying as fast as they should, get your lint vent cleaned.

our dryer was not working all that great and we had a guy come out to clean the line, and he kept blowing it out and i figured i'd see stuff on my roof where the vent was. turns out the vent didn't go straight up but actually up, about 50 feet sideways and then vented over the roof above the front door.

when i figured that out i found a ton of lint on the roof.

supposedly you're supposed to clean those vents out every couple of years, but our house was 7 years old when we did it...it needed it.

couple that with the fact that the vents are not done in the most effecient straight route and they probably need a cleaning if you haven't done it as most houses in briggs ranch are now over 7 years old....

#15 stangage70

stangage70

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE(mattyx @ May 27 2008, 12:31 PM) View Post

It started in the garage according to the TV interview with one of the owners.
I would guess that home did not have the laundry in the garage, but I don't know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users