103 replies to this topic

#1 mando

mando

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:43 AM

Just heard on KXJZ that Folsom is putting in place drought restrictions next month.

#2 mando

mando

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:48 AM

QUOTE(mando @ Aug 27 2008, 08:43 AM) View Post
Just heard on KXJZ that Folsom is putting in place drought restrictions next month.

http://www.folsom.ca...a...&targetid=1

#3 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:09 AM

QUOTE(mando @ Aug 27 2008, 08:48 AM) View Post

I understand the need to conserve, but the way that reads I wouldn't be allowed to hand water potted plants every day. Am I reading that wrong? I have plants in pots that will die if they aren't watered every day in 100-plus degree weather. I could move some of them to shade and maybe stretch it to every other day, but some are too heavy to be moved.

#4 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:15 AM

QUOTE(mando @ Aug 27 2008, 08:48 AM) View Post

Gee they are really on top of things aren't they? Put the restrictions in place near the start of the rainy season. Didn't they think about this in, say June, when they knew it would be hot and water usage would go up for the next 2-3 months?
...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#5 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:17 AM

QUOTE(Darthvader @ Aug 27 2008, 09:15 AM) View Post
Gee they are really on top of things aren't they? Put the restrictions in place near the start of the rainy season. Didn't they think about this in, say June, when they knew it would be hot and water usage would go up for the next 2-3 months?

Maybe they were busy getting their lighting and landscaping districts down by 20 percent so people wouldn't complain about conserving when they were seeing so much waste in medians and the liike?

#6 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:17 AM

QUOTE(ducky @ Aug 27 2008, 09:09 AM) View Post
I understand the need to conserve, but the way that reads I wouldn't be allowed to hand water potted plants every day. Am I reading that wrong? I have plants in pots that will die if they aren't watered every day in 100-plus degree weather. I could move some of them to shade and maybe stretch it to every other day, but some are too heavy to be moved.

I'd like to think "landscaping" means your yard, but a quick call to the city water department can confirm that.

We did our drought-resistant yard just in time. I highly recommend Folsomites take the city up on its offer to send out a Water Wise consultant. It's a free and very valuable service. The city has a rebate program for converting to drip and for the purchase of a Smart Timer with weather station that won't run in the rain.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#7 ChipShot

ChipShot

Golfer-In-Chief

• Banned
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:19 AM

Enforcement will be a problem.
I have opinions, you have opinions. We'll just call it even...is that OK ??

#8 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:22 AM

QUOTE(ChipShot @ Aug 27 2008, 09:19 AM) View Post

Residents can schedule a free Water Wise house call or report water waste problems by calling 355-7252
<3

#9 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:22 AM

Someone up the street from me got a "We wish you wouldn't" reminder from the city for washing down his front porch and sidewalk. That was a couple months ago.

#10 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:28 AM

Water in the streets everywhere, all the time in this town... I'd be shocked if anyone will take this seriously.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#11 Andrea V

Andrea V

• Premium Member
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:35 AM

QUOTE(Darth Lefty @ Aug 27 2008, 09:28 AM) View Post
Water in the streets everywhere, all the time in this town... I'd be shocked if anyone will take this seriously.

I will... if we ALL think it is a joke, then nothing will get done.

I will help my family do our part to conserve! smile.gif
<3

#12 Revolutionist

Revolutionist

Liposuction for the brain

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE(Darth Lefty @ Aug 27 2008, 09:28 AM) View Post

all the City would need to do is replace all the plastic sprinkler heads with metal heads, and we'd save 10,000 acrefeet.

Every time I see city sprinklers on, I see broken heads spouting water 10 feet into the sky.

Posted Image

#13 Andrea V

Andrea V

• Premium Member
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:39 AM

QUOTE(Revolutionist @ Aug 27 2008, 09:37 AM) View Post
all the City would need to do is replace all the plastic sprinkler heads with metal heads, and we'd save 10,000 acrefeet.

Every time I see city sprinklers on, I see broken heads spouting water 10 feet into the sky.

dang lawn mowers, and teenagers!
<3

#14 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:43 AM

Actually if the city wants to enforce it , they can do it quite easily- at least in for front yard violations by day or time. In years past when I was in San Jose and they had mandatory rationing with even day / odd day restrictions, I knew a lot of people that got warnings and many that were fined for second or more offenses.

It would not take much manpower to have city staff review neighborhoods and hand out form warnings citing the specific or general violations.

We have already had one notice for overflow on the sidewalk two weeks ago. Not that we can do anything about it since it take only a couple of minutes to start some runoff as our lot is on a hill.

The watering restriction would however be difficult to enforce for backyards.
Now if we were on meters- with the remote data transfer , they could set up the computers to monitor volume of water used by day and send the warning or fine in the mail .... wacko.gif

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#15 Revolutionist

Revolutionist

Liposuction for the brain

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:46 AM

QUOTE(folsom500 @ Aug 27 2008, 09:43 AM) View Post
Actually if the city wants to enforce it , they can do it quite easily- at least in for front yard violations by day or time. In years past when I was in San Jose and they had mandatory rationing with even day / odd day restrictions, I knew a lot of people that got warnings and many that were fined for second or more offenses.

It would not take much manpower to have city staff review neighborhoods and hand out form warnings citing the specific or general violations.

We have already had one notice for overflow on the sidewalk two weeks ago. Not that we can do anything about it since it take only a couple of minutes to start some runoff as our lot is on a hill.

The watering restriction would however be difficult to enforce for backyards.
Now if we were on meters- with the remote data transfer , they could set up the computers to monitor volume of water used by day and send the warning or fine in the mail .... wacko.gif

they should just spend the money on 2 ppl to drive around town and replace broken heads on city landscaping. Cheaper. More effective. Less intrusive. Better water savings.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users