33 replies to this topic

#1 M.E.G.

M.E.G.

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 05:05 PM

Feds are proposing a 1500 bed hospital on prison grounds. City of Folsom has serious concerns.

http://www.sacbee.co...ry/1193910.html

M.E.G.

Mechelle Reasoner (formerly Gooch)

Movin'...So You Can!

Morris Williams Realty

Call or txt: 916 955-8698,

Email me

Read my blog, search for homes, find out more about Folsom at FolsomCorner.com

#2 Jolene

Jolene

Well-versed in how I might be cursed.

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 05:16 PM

Yeah, like screw prisoners. Give me my third grade CSR back.

This is where state and federal budgets are seriously F'ed up. I don't give a crap about prisoners having TV, Cable, workout rooms, fancy meals, libraries, or any of that crap. They broke the law, they can sit in their cell, walk around a yard, eat bland food for all I care.

If we cut the amount of money PRISONERS get, I am sure we could save some other programs that have been cut throughout the state or country.
THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING MY GIRL.
We could not be doing this without you.
Much love and gratitude.

#3 ChipShot

ChipShot

Golfer-In-Chief

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 05:21 PM

If this happens, it will be time to consider hittin' the road.

God, when will it end ??
I have opinions, you have opinions. We'll just call it even...is that OK ??

#4 webuser

webuser

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 06:06 PM

They are concerned about bringing back traffic congestion that the new bridge is supposed to fix next year, but most prison workers do not work 8-5 Mon-Friday jobs, so it really may not do that much or anything to hurt commute hour traffic. Even those who work M-F day shifts usually do 7-3PM shifts.
Also, 1500 new employees with good salaries would be nice for the Folsom housing market.

#5 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 06:36 PM

QUOTE(webuser @ Aug 28 2008, 07:06 PM) View Post
They are concerned about bringing back traffic congestion that the new bridge is supposed to fix next year, but most prison workers do not work 8-5 Mon-Friday jobs, so it really may not do that much or anything to hurt commute hour traffic. Even those who work M-F day shifts usually do 7-3PM shifts.
Also, 1500 new employees with good salaries would be nice for the Folsom housing market.

I was thinking the same thing, bringing new employment opportunities to the area should benefit the city more than any impact the additional commute traffic would cause. And with the widening of Natoma street, the increased traffic shouldn't be a big problem.
I would rather be Backpacking

#6 webuser

webuser

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE(Bill Z @ Aug 28 2008, 07:36 PM) View Post
I was thinking the same thing, bringing new employment opportunities to the area should benefit the city more than any impact the additional commute traffic would cause. And with the widening of Natoma street, the increased traffic shouldn't be a big problem.

The traffic from employees going up and down Folsom Blvd also would probably be going the opposite direction of the morning and evening commutes even if some significant number of workers had shifts that started during peak commute times.

#7 rlsliger

rlsliger

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 06:50 PM

How many employees are there currently and what % live in Folsom?

#8 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:03 AM

QUOTE(webuser @ Aug 28 2008, 07:06 PM) View Post

I don't know enough about this to have anything but questions, but I think I'm with you about the jobs being a good thing. I wonder how this will affect Mercy Hospital. Will this take some money away from them for taking care of prisoners? I wouldn't think so since they only do it on an emergency basis as far as I know.

#9 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:06 AM

QUOTE(Jolene @ Aug 28 2008, 06:16 PM) View Post

This is where state and federal budgets are seriously F'ed up. I don't give a crap about prisoners having TV, Cable, workout rooms, fancy meals, libraries, or any of that crap. They broke the law, they can sit in their cell, walk around a yard, eat bland food for all I care.

If we cut the amount of money PRISONERS get, I am sure we could save some other programs that have been cut throughout the state or country.

+1

less $$ for prisoners, more $$ for SCHOOLS!!!!!!!!!! angry.gif
<3

#10 Folsom Guy

Folsom Guy

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:52 AM

QUOTE(Jolene @ Aug 28 2008, 06:16 PM) View Post

A minor detail - the US Constitution requires certain basic rights even for the prisoners...amend the it...and then count the $$$s that will accrue.

Otherwise, all you can do is whine uselessly....

Af for the prison hospital and the 1500 jobs ... I say bring them on... I see more positives than negatives...

#11 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:59 AM

Wouldn't this actually alleviate traffic? They currently drive those prisoners to "real" hospitals.
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#12 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:02 AM

Is Natoma even big enough to handle to commuter traffic??? That part would suck.

#13 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:04 AM

Does a 1500 bed medical facility really need 1500 employees? Or is this just a government way of paying 1500 people to take a nap?
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#14 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:30 AM

Have you ever been in a State prison? The medical staff and officers work their collective arses off in horrible conditions...They don't just sit there...They don't get a lunch or a break and can't leave the site....Next time you're at your cubicle surfing the net or getting your Starbucks fix, there are people who don't get lunch breaks etc....Now, I believe there are bad apples in any gov't agency, but there are so in the public sector too...So get off of your high horse......
Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#15 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:42 AM

QUOTE(asbestoshills @ Aug 29 2008, 09:30 AM) View Post
Have you ever been in a State prison? The medical staff and officers work their collective arses off in horrible conditions...They don't just sit there...They don't get a lunch or a break and can't leave the site....Next time you're at your cubicle surfing the net or getting your Starbucks fix, there are people who don't get lunch breaks etc....Now, I believe there are bad apples in any gov't agency, but there are so in the public sector too...So get off of your high horse......

+100.

I have personally toured both CSP Sac and Folsom State Prison and can vouge for the above statement.
I see way more positives (more employment) than negatives on this issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users