19 replies to this topic

#1 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:04 PM

To: Our Patrons and Friends

It is with a combination of sadness and optimism that we are writing to you. As of today, we are launching a campaign to keep Garbeau's from closing. We did not anticipate being in this position, but a conversation this past Wednesday with our landlord went far differently than we had ever expected.

To explain, I will write chronologically from the start.

We bought Garbeau's in June of 2007. For nine months, we were enjoying wonderfully sized audiences and healthy revenues. In March of 2008, gas prices broke $3.50 for the first time and-practically overnight-our attendance dropped in half. Apart from getting fewer calls, the huge and sudden energy cost spike that happened last spring resulted in a record number of cancellations from people who had existing reservations. We literally received many calls from guests who said they were looking forward to coming, but the murky outlook (that we months later found out was a full-scale recession) prompted people to cancel their reservations due to uncertainty of what might be in store.

Changes were made to meet the lower attendance-our operating costs were smartly diminished to "skeleton crew" proportions without sacrificing our effort to provide quality customer service. The decreased revenue set us on a path in which we were able to cover most of our costs, with the primary shortfall being rent. We tried to negotiate with our landlord for a temporary rent reduction considering the economy. Our effort was to have a rent based on a percentage of our sale until the economy recovered; upon having stronger numbers, we would happily return to the regular rent cost.

We thought the negotiation would end favorably. If so, we would be like other companies who were struggling in this market, but who would manage to survive. This past Wednesday, our landlord flatly refused any negotiation whatsoever. His demands were that we come completely current (we have not been capable of paying full rent) AND supply financial proof that we are well capitalized enough to manage full rent going forward. He stated that if we did not satisfy his demands, he would terminate our lease, an act that would force us to close Garbeau's forever. To meet his demands, we are launching an effort to raise one hundred thousand dollars. On one hand, that number is depressing and we face the reality that not raising enough will leave us with no choice but to close. On the other hand, we are optimistic that this goal can indeed be met. For perspective, if the number of people who saw our production of I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change (which ran for only seven weeks-20 performances total) bought a $26 gift card, we would overshoot our goal by over a thousand dollars. It is due to that context that we are hopeful.

What Do We Need?
We are asking for help from everyone who wants to see Garbeau's stay in business. Here's how:

1)Purchase a season ticket-without any risk of being left empty handed! We are so grateful to the other theatre companies who are supporting our effort. Because of their backing, your season pass will be worth its price whether we make our goal or not. If we do not meet our goal, our season passes will be honored for either free, 2-for-1, or otherwise notably discounted admission at California Musical Theatre Company, B Street Theatre Company, Stage Nine in Folsom, and five other companies who have pledged to back us but who need final approval from their boards before being named. There is no risk in supporting us this way.

2)Purchase a gift card--$5, $20, $500, anything! Realistically, you know if Garbeau's is forced to close, your gift card will not have value. If we make our goal, you obviously get to redeem 100% of its value. However, I point out again that $26 per attendee of just one of our past productions exceeds our goal. Can you risk losing $10 or $20 to keep Garbeau's open? It will add up-but only if you make that purchase.

3)Tell every single person you know. Post it on your blogs, Facebook, MySpace-everywhere. Yes, it's embarrassing to be facing a forced closure. But in talking to a few friends and mentors in the community, they all said that people won't know to help us unless they know what's happening.

4)Email a note to your favorite radio, television, or newspaper editors. Tell them to cover this story. We have already received a mention from KFBK's Kitty O'Neal and an interview recorded this morning (February 2nd) will be aired on Channel 10 at 5pm this evening. Fox 40 is covering us at 10pm. Good Day Sacramento is covering us next Wednesday. The more press we get, the better our chances are to meet (and even exceed) our goal.

5)Do it now. If hundreds of people are on the fence about making a purchase-waiting to hear how we're progressing or thinking someone else will step in instead, then we will be closed by the end of March. We are a couple of weeks from some very unexpected hard and fast deadlines from our landlord to stay open. If you have any motivation to support Garbeau's, it has to happen now.

6)If the phone is busy, keep trying. Leave a voicemail if we're tied up on the other line. If no one answers, it doesn't mean we're not there. If you get a busy signal, it doesn't mean we've reached our goal already. We will also reply to emails.

7)If you like Frank Sinatra, make reservations for this final weekend of "My Way." If you don't like Sinatra, consider our comedy night or karaoke night!

8)Because of credit card fees, purchasing with cash or check is helpful. However, we are grateful regardless of how you end up paying.

9) You would help us by your knowing that we love Garbeau's, we love what we do, and we love you, the people who have been with us-you who have sent emails saying how moved you were by a scene in "The All Night Strut," or how much you laughed during "I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change!" or which character your grandchild liked best in "Alice in Wonderland." I should also mention the sheer number of you who wrote your support to me in my simple effort to lose weight (27 lbs so far...). Your support, and the support we have already felt from the entire community, is overwhelming. We are truly touched and look forward to making it through this very difficult time.

Keep Smiling
Please note that our goal has always been, and still remains, giving our guests an evening of fun. This effort is getting media coverage and we will be letting you know what's happening through our newsletter. However, if you walk through our doors, you are coming for dinner and entertainment-not an intensive care unit or telethon. If you approach us and specifically want to talk about this, we will. But otherwise, you will see us with genuine smiles as we do what we love to do-taking your cares away for the evening.

Sincerely, we are optimistic that this goal can be met. Thank you for any effort you can make on our behalf. And please beware that any help you provide may put you at risk for a hug the next time we see you.

All our best,

Mark, Andrea, and the Entire Garbeau's Family

Garbeau's Dinner Theater
12401 Folsom Blvd
Rancho Cordova, California 95742

#2 knittychick

knittychick

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:32 AM

I would hate to see Garbeau's close. I have season tickets and it makes for a great evening out...dinner and live entertainment less than 15 minutes from home!
"Peace is always beautiful." - Walt Whitman

#3 bunny

bunny

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:14 AM

I have to wonder what goes through the mind of some commercial landlords. Dont they notice the thousands of brand new storefronts and pads that most new business will open up into? Dont they realize that upon losing a tenant may very well result in an empty property for years or renting to someone they dont know for much less? Who comes up with the idea that no money is better than some money?

This is really not the time to play hardball.

#4 Naga Jolokia

Naga Jolokia

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Food, Food, Food.

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:29 AM

I wonder if a businessman from Pakistan still owns Nimbus and Peggy Kunkel, Regional Property Operation Manager, is still in charge.

Perhaps sending emails directly to the landlord/operation manager from folks in the Sacramento Area will help.

I have their emails & phone numbers.

Palin 2012
Jindal 2012
God Bless America!

#5 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:19 AM

How much are the season tickets?

I would absolutely hate to see this company go under!!!

#6 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:32 AM

QUOTE (supermom @ Feb 3 2009, 09:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How much are the season tickets?

I would absolutely hate to see this company go under!!!

oh, I found it.

4 tickets for $76 bucks.

That is 3X's more than a typical 3 person family outing to the movie theatres (without popcorn and drinks.) For 3 outings.

Yes, I do actually think like that.

My two kids and I usually can get into a matinee for around 25.

But, the quality of a play or musical--live ---is sooo much more worth it.

#7 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:57 AM

QUOTE (supermom @ Feb 3 2009, 09:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
oh, I found it.

4 tickets for $76 bucks.

the quality of a play or musical--live ---is sooo much more worth it.

yes it is, seeing a live play or musical is always a lot of fun

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#8 Revolutionist

Revolutionist

Liposuction for the brain

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE (supermom @ Feb 3 2009, 09:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
oh, I found it.

4 tickets for $76 bucks.

That is 3X's more than a typical 3 person family outing to the movie theatres (without popcorn and drinks.) For 3 outings.

Yes, I do actually think like that.

My two kids and I usually can get into a matinee for around 25.

But, the quality of a play or musical--live ---is sooo much more worth it.

you forgot to factor in the cost of popcorn ohmy.gif

Posted Image

#9 gm2005

gm2005

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:43 AM

I hate to see any business go out of business, however we have given this business three chances and the service and food have been pretty bad. And we are not the only ones that have had that experiance either.
Plus, going with just musicals may not have been the best idea. Having some variety in what you offer as a dinner theater might be a good way to go. we have seen a few comedies and have loved the showes but the dinner and service were bad.

Landlord may not be doing the best business in these economic times, because most likely if Garbeau's closes that space will remain empty for a long time to come.

However, since hubby doesn't have a job and we are facing very though times and potentially face loosing our house down the road, should we plead with the public to somehow save us? Just wondering. I mean, maybe we will do some kind of a gift card and offer cleaning or landscaping services (we are pretty handy and we are hard working), at least with us you know you will get something in return. tongue.gif

#10 normajean

normajean

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:47 PM

gm, i was thinking the same thing!

#11 rda

rda

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:25 PM

I will donate my time to come perform some live music DJ stuff sometime if you'd like. I can do cocktail/dinner jazz on trumpet, trombone, sax, etc. and/or DJ dance music. We also have a new blues band that can come down and play for you some night.

Just say the word.....It's a tough business and we have to stick together.

Ron Davis
http://www.SacDJ.com

#12 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:33 PM

I've never been to GDT, I guess it's not what I think of when thinking of things to do.

But I am so amazed with all the vacancy in that building, that the landlord is playing such hardball. The place is already 1/2 empty, if it was full, i could understand, but it isn't.
I would rather be Backpacking

#13 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE (gm2005 @ Feb 3 2009, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hate to see any business go out of business, however we have given this business three chances and the service and food have been pretty bad. And we are not the only ones that have had that experiance either.
Plus, going with just musicals may not have been the best idea. Having some variety in what you offer as a dinner theater might be a good way to go. we have seen a few comedies and have loved the showes but the dinner and service were bad.

Ditto.

I did notice in checking their website today that they now offer dinners as options. The last time we went (a while ago) you had to buy the whole package and, like you, we were very unimpressed with the food. It would be more attractive to us now that we could go to a restaurant of our liking, but we're not into musicals. I'll keep an eye open to see if they offer other plays to our liking.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#14 Ram_it!

Ram_it!

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles<br />Trucks<br />Boats<br />camping<br />

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE (Resume Lady @ Feb 3 2009, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ditto.

I did notice in checking their website today that they now offer dinners as options. The last time we went (a while ago) you had to buy the whole package and, like you, we were very unimpressed with the food. It would be more attractive to us now that we could go to a restaurant of our liking, but we're not into musicals. I'll keep an eye open to see if they offer other plays to our liking.

Exactly. I hate to see businesses go out of business. But this place had bad food, was expensive, limited menu and then started to focus entirely on musicals???? With this economy the way it is, it is starting to show the weaker places quicker. I think its sending a sign to business owners that they need to do more than just open their doors if they want to do well.
"I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing."
Socrates

#15 FolsomResident2002

FolsomResident2002

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:11 PM

The Nimbus Winery isn't full with occupants now. How can the landlord continue to stay in business if no one can rent his/her properties?

Secondly, why can't Garbeaus move to another location?
QUOTE (bunny @ Feb 3 2009, 08:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have to wonder what goes through the mind of some commercial landlords. Dont they notice the thousands of brand new storefronts and pads that most new business will open up into? Dont they realize that upon losing a tenant may very well result in an empty property for years or renting to someone they dont know for much less? Who comes up with the idea that no money is better than some money?

This is really not the time to play hardball.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users